Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level Physics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondeing if it is possible to do a full a-level in physics in one year, both AS & A2 in the one year?

Just I choose Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Geography as my AS-Levels and i'm now really regretting not doing physics.
    I'm hoping to go into either veteirnary or medicine and the physics would give me a greater opportunity of getting 3 A's in sciences.

Any info is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    Hi,

I was wondeing if it is possible to do a full a-level in physics in one year, both AS & A2 in the one year?

Just I choose Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Geography as my AS-Levels and i'm now really regretting not doing physics.
    I'm hoping to go into either veteirnary or medicine and the physics would give me a greater opportunity of getting 3 A's in sciences.

Any info is appreciated.
    your subjects are fine. u shouldnt change, u picked good subjects.

in one year - requires a lot of hard work, but as u do maths it will not be hard in terms of work difficulty.

but u dont need to, your subjects r fine.

to go into medicine:

You need: Biology, Chemistry; and either Mathematics or Physics.

doing both Physics and maths for medicine is not needed at all.
    Bio, Chem and either Physics or maths.

Your subjects r perfect - there is nothing to regret what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    Uni's like the mechanics in Physics, but really there is little mechanics over M1, so Further maths might be your bet.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    to go into medicine:

You need: Biology, Chemistry; and either Mathematics or Physics.
    Vet Medicine is far more competetive than human medicine.

If you've haven't already applied have you considered starting studying physics now - a year and a half is better than just a year (gives you time for any resits you might want to take)...and picking up a subject again after a year is a lot trickier than after 6 months.

And (at least as far as I remember) there is a significant crossover between maths and physics which makes studying both easier (although I understand that the new modular system means that fewer maths students study mechanics)

Speak to your potential physics teacher about the workload and if they will be able to fit you in.

Either way if you started *now* you could have some idea of the scope/size of the course and a clearer idea of what sort of challange you're taking on *before* you apply to universities with your qualifications set in stone (well they're harder to switch drop once uni's know what to expect from you).

ReputationRep:
    thx for advice,

I'll talk to careers teacher 2morrow, whos also a physics teacher so hopefully he can tell me the best thing to do,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    Hi,

Any info is appreciated.
    yeah u can cos im doing it. I just did the AS part of it today, and im doing the A2 and any resits in June.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need Maths or Physics to do medicine. Biology and Chemistry are musts (either both to full A2 or you can just do one to A2 and the other stops at AS).

If you're doing it only to get into medicine, it's a waste of time because it isn't needed, but if you feel you can get an A in it (good luck!!) then go for it! Good luck to you!!

I did Chem Bio Physics and Maths for AS and wish I hadn't done either Physics or Maths because they aren't needed, and i hated them!!

If you do decide to do it, then get your learning hat on, the maths is hard for me as I suck at maths so it may be pretty easy for you. but the physics aspect is pretty easy to grasp (well, some of it is, some of it is just evil!)

Good luck either way!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.