This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by maljosh)
What do you think is the best city to leave in? (in England)
Excluding London, they are all not very nice places to live. Where are those nice, pretty cities?
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Excluding London, they are all not very nice places to live. Where are those nice, pretty cities?
I beg to differ.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
dublin's a bit alright
que?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd rather live in Leeds than Sheffield.
Cardiff is a nice city.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You forgot Leeds, and I resent that.
As do I.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My favourite city is London because you get such a massive diversity in the people that live there, over half the countries ethnic minorities live there, you get Chinatown, you can go to Elephant & Castle and if your ever looking for obscure food stuffs you will always win with London. You can see all the best bands in London, the amount of times I've been annoyed that my favourite band are only playing in London is phonomenal, there are all the best shops and then you have Camden Loch, where else can you get Hello Kitty t-shirts for £3 and jeans for a tenner? I also love the more expensive side of the city (if I have money that is!) Harrods, more than a hundred years of history and also the chance to see celebs! The Trocadero, Piccaddily, The Tate, the V&A.
And people wonder why I want to move there?
London is fantastic AND the capital of this fair country we call England!
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
But how many places on the list have you actually been too? I can tell you that Manchester is a very beautiful city.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I'd rather live in Leeds than Sheffield.
Cardiff is a nice city.
Cardiff is in Wales...
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But how many places on the list have you actually been too? I can tell you that Manchester is a very beautiful city.
I've visited all of them. Yeah, Manchester is nice in parts but to live there :rolleyes: I've been loads of places in Britain and Manchester isn't top of my list.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
where is Birmingham on the list? the nations second largest city...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
My favourite city is London because you get such a massive diversity in the people that live there, over half the countries ethnic minorities live there, you get Chinatown, you can go to Elephant & Castle and if your ever looking for obscure food stuffs you will always win with London. You can see all the best bands in London, the amount of times I've been annoyed that my favourite band are only playing in London is phonomenal, there are all the best shops and then you have Camden Loch, where else can you get Hello Kitty t-shirts for £3 and jeans for a tenner? I also love the more expensive side of the city (if I have money that is!) Harrods, more than a hundred years of history and also the chance to see celebs! The Trocadero, Piccaddily, The Tate, the V&A.
And people wonder why I want to move there?
London is fantastic AND the capital of this fair country we call England!
Once again, I'd beg to differ. EVery city in Britain has an inner city, and so ethnic diversity. And the best bands play London and Manchester, as an absolute rule, they usually throw in Leeds, Liverpool and Birmingham in too.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
where is Birmingham on the list? the nations second largest city...
Not true anymore =P It's officially Manchester whether you're arguing population-wise or as a consensus of the population.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah but Manchester is made up primarily of tanning places
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by maljosh)
I'm really dissapointed Liverpool won The european capital of culture thing... Newcastle is so much better. They've build an awesome bridge(costed about £10M), Art Gallery and there are other cunstructions on the way... i really can't believe it, why the hell did they go for Liverpool? Just coz the Beetles were from there and coz the population is 1M more than in Newcastle. It's discusting the way drivers drive in Liverpool, they'd never stop if more than 5 people standing in the bus, you can get up to 20 people standing .. always driving on red, every1 smoking upstairs.... Community College Sux!
liverpool is an amazing city and it's obvious you don't know the place if that's your opinion.... there's a lot more to the place than the beatles.

lou xxx
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah but Manchester is made up primarily of tanning places
What's a tanning place?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In Manchester there are tanning salons on every street, you know...UV lights and all that....
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In Manchester there are tanning salons on every street, you know...UV lights and all that....
I know of 1, and it's miles out.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Not true anymore =P It's officially Manchester whether you're arguing population-wise or as a consensus of the population.
I think thats wrong.

But then again, I might be wrong.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
I think thats wrong.

But then again, I might be wrong.
Which bit?

I know it's a bit dodgy, especially the latter, because the "opinion poll" was taken just after Manchester hosted the games, and so everybody had it fresh in their minds. The former statistic though is a basic "more people live and work in Manchester than Birmingham." Not sure if that includes Salford/Trafford/Bury etc, but I think it's probably fair if it does, as they still consider Manchester as 'town.'
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah Greater Manchester now has a greater population than the West Midlands which makes it the UKs second biggest city. I was reading an article in my local paper this morning saying that houses were I live are incerasing £100 in value everyday because of a lot of southerners are moving to the city centre and south manchester. Also Manchester has more graduates than any other city not mention Europe's biggest university campus.

Manchester has its problems but there are plenty of good none inner city areas if you have £200k to spend.

I would love to give Newcastle I mention but have never been so really can't comment. Liverpool is a good city but just dosn't have all the facilities Manchester now has.

I only included Salford in my list as a joke, Salford Quays is nice and Salford is no way near as rough as people make out but Salford if it wasn't next to Manchester would be a dump.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads