This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Not true anymore =P It's officially Manchester whether you're arguing population-wise or as a consensus of the population.
Depends for a start what you define as a "city". The built up area (conurbation)? A circle of variable radius from the city centre? The size of the local authority?

Then what do you measure. Land area? Hmmm, do you include green belt areas and parks in that? Population? What kind of population?

It's impossible to judge which city is the "biggest" or "nicest". I never put a vote in with these things or argue in any direction. Many cities, especially Birmingham and Manchester (the only places I've noticed it happen), are full of people who have never visited many other places so can't compare. All they have to rely on are the extremely biased opinions encouraged by these radio stations that seem to think that their city, whatever it is, is the best in the country.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
In Manchester there are tanning salons on every street, you know...UV lights and all that....
My area Chorlton has 2 tanning centres, 20 odd bars and pubs, 10 newsagets, 3 supermarkets etc. I hardly think Manchester is made up of tanning places.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
My area Chorlton has 2 tanning centres, 20 odd bars and pubs, 10 newsagets, 3 supermarkets etc. I hardly think Manchester is made up of tanning places.
That's a lot of tanning centres.

OK, there are tanning centres here but I can only think of one specific one near me off the top of my head.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Depends for a start what you define as a "city". The built up area (conurbation)? A circle of variable radius from the city centre? The size of the local authority?

Then what do you measure. Land area? Hmmm, do you include green belt areas and parks in that? Population? What kind of population?

It's impossible to judge which city is the "biggest" or "nicest". I never put a vote in with these things or argue in any direction. Many cities, especially Birmingham and Manchester (the only places I've noticed it happen), are full of people who have never visited many other places so can't compare. All they have to rely on are the extremely biased opinions encouraged by these radio stations that seem to think that their city, whatever it is, is the best in the country.
I think it's measured in population size usually, I guess other suitable measurements could be GDP, or a commercial figure like turnover from shops etc.

I think it is possible to judge which city is biggest or nicest, a dirty city isn't as 'nice' as a clean city, a city with crime isn't as 'nice' as a crime free city, etc etc, Portsmouth isn't as big as London.

I don't think Manchester is the best in the country, it's clear that London's sheer scale and number of attractions makes it England's no.1 city, however I feel the need to argue with statements like London is the ONLY nice city, or London is the only city which gets decent bands, because I think I have evidence to suggest it's not true.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not true anymore =P It's officially Manchester whether you're arguing population-wise or as a consensus of the population.
erm, no.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just of my top of my head:

Bee Gees, Hollies, Hermans Hermits, Joy Divsion, New Order, Buzzcocks, freedie and the dreamers, insprial carpets, smiths, oasis, stone roses, morrisey, take that etc have all come from Manchester so its not true to say only London gets the best bands.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just of my top of my head:

Bee Gees, Hollies, Hermans Hermits, Joy Divsion, New Order, Buzzcocks, freedie and the dreamers, insprial carpets, smiths, oasis, stone roses, morrisey, take that etc have all come from Manchester so its not true to say only London gets the best bands.
And Liverpool have Jemmini :rolleyes:
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've only ever been to London, so it would be unfair of me to vote.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ozzy Osbourne!!!!!!!!!!!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Mancheaster also has Alfie, the Doves and Badly Drawn Boy, Jermaqui, Cleopratra etc.

Liverpool has the Beatles though. You can't beat that! Liverpools music scene cannot compete with Manchesters now though.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
erm, no.
"When, without prompting, people are asked which they consider to be England's 'first' city, more than four in five (85%) name London. When asked which they consider England's 'second' city, a third (34%) name Manchester.

Birmingham follows Manchester with three in 10 people (29%) ranking it in second place. Liverpool was also in the picture, with one in 20 people (four percent) naming it as England's second city, and one in 10 (10%) naming it as England's 'third' city. "
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
that is so unfair

we have atomic kitten as well.

lou xxx
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I always thought Birmingham was Britain's second city. :confused:
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's measured in population size usually, I guess other suitable measurements could be GDP, or a commercial figure like turnover from shops etc.
Yeah but where exactly, that's what I was saying.

Like people talk about Birmingham, but where's the line between Birmingham and Wolverhampton? Or do you count them as the same because you can drive between the two without going through countryside (they're in the same built up earlier).

Birmingham has the world's biggest road junction I think (in terms of amount of concrete they used)... that kinda sums up the reputation the place has for being a concrete jungle. But it isn't like that any more, they are seriously clearing the place up, I quite like the place now, well the centre anyway.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
So did 29% of the country? :P

_____

Many people discount Glasgow, Glasgow has a huge population, and apparently more "skyline buildings" than Manchester and Birmingham put together.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
Lol so did I, but who really cares.

Liverpool being the second city on that poll? Now that's something I really don't get...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah but where exactly, that's what I was saying.

Like people talk about Birmingham, but where's the line between Birmingham and Wolverhampton? Or do you count them as the same because you can drive between the two without going through countryside (they're in the same built up earlier).

Birmingham has the world's biggest road junction I think (in terms of amount of concrete they used)... that kinda sums up the reputation the place has for being a concrete jungle. But it isn't like that any more, they are seriously clearing the place up, I quite like the place now, well the centre anyway.
Ok, Birmingham and Manchester are very similar I'm sure.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol so did I, but who really cares.

Liverpool being the second city on that poll? Now that's something I really don't get...
Only 4% named it as second city, and that was probably on a "it's dead friendly 'ere so it's the second city," type basis.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, Birmingham and Manchester are very similar I'm sure.
No. I'm not comparing this place to Manchester.

That's another thing, there are so many stereotypes, I can remember joking with my friends about the "average person from Manchester". But now I totally take that back as I've actually talked to people from Manchester, and one of them at least is one of the nicest people I know.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"When, without prompting, people are asked which they consider to be England's 'first' city, more than four in five (85%) name London. When asked which they consider England's 'second' city, a third (34%) name Manchester.

Birmingham follows Manchester with three in 10 people (29%) ranking it in second place. Liverpool was also in the picture, with one in 20 people (four percent) naming it as England's second city, and one in 10 (10%) naming it as England's 'third' city. "
that may be true, but you neglect to say where the survey was done?

manchester, by any chance? by the regional 'news', who always ignore news that makes their region look bad?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads