The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

depends what you are studying module wise and if you find it hard or not

like anything at uni as long as you keep on top of the work do the readings it should be ok, its a degree its not meant to be easy :p:
Reply 2
Anyone else have experience of biomed?
im a biomed student at northumbria, the degree is fairly difficult but not impossible. I do 18hrs a week in uni and prob 8 hrs study time out of uni. If your good at biology u wnt find it that hard

Cheers scott
Reply 4
I wouldn't describe it as hard, but if you really want to understand the subject and not just regurgitate the lecture notes it is a lot of work, I think you need to be curious and genuinely interested
If you have a scientific brain and found biology and chemistry at AS/A-level ok then I guess you should be fine. Altho I did just get 5 essential texts for year one and died looking through them...
Reply 6
Expect to have less free time than your friends :smile:
Reply 7
hey i did biomed and came away with a 2:1. Some of the units were hard going i never did very well in biochemistry but so long as you put the work in it isn't impossible.
Reply 8
It's a really difficult degree, hence why most of the time it leads to a graduate-entry Medicine and Dentistry.

Don't be put off though; if you work really hard and pick the right modules (ones you find genuinely interesting) you'll be fine. I passed and didn't really do that great, just scraped a 2:1, but that's because I didn't take it very seriously and it wasn't something I wanted to do as a career. However 95% of my classmates got really high 2:1s and firsts. 75% of them went on to be graduate-entry doctors and dentists.
Reply 9
I agree with eidolon. In my opinion if you absolutely 100% love this topic it will be a breeze. I put a lot of work into my first two years just because I genuinely find it interesting, and as a result I was really pleased with the outcome. So I plan to continue with that same enthusiasm in my third year :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by bhurruts
I agree with eidolon. In my opinion if you absolutely 100% love this topic it will be a breeze. I put a lot of work into my first two years just because I genuinely find it interesting, and as a result I was really pleased with the outcome. So I plan to continue with that same enthusiasm in my third year :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hello, just found this thread, and I am hoping to study biomed this October. Just out of interest, which modules did you do and does it really pay off working hard in first year? :smile: Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Hello, just found this thread, and I am hoping to study biomed this October. Just out of interest, which modules did you do and does it really pay off working hard in first year? :smile: Thanks

For my first year I did human disease, physiology and statistics, nutrition, biochemistry, evolution, and biosciences lab practical sessions. Yeah I think it does pay off even if it doesn't contribute towards your final grade. Lecturers take notice of what you're capable of and also, if you do well in your first year you'll try to top that in your 2nd and 3rd year coz you'll have more of a confidence boost :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhurruts
For my first year I did human disease, physiology and statistics, nutrition, biochemistry, evolution, and biosciences lab practical sessions. Yeah I think it does pay off even if it doesn't contribute towards your final grade. Lecturers take notice of what you're capable of and also, if you do well in your first year you'll try to top that in your 2nd and 3rd year coz you'll have more of a confidence boost :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thank you, I will bear that in mind :smile:
Reply 13
i am thinking of applying for biomedical science but i don't know which unis yet.
where did you study/are applying to/heard good things about? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by JessicaJS
i am thinking of applying for biomedical science but i don't know which unis yet.

I went to Roehampton because it's accredited and was close to home :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by JessicaJS

I'm going to Newcastle University next month to study Biomedical Science with Medical Microbiology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Middlesex University and Brunel University in London is brilliant because I am looking for a uni and I want to study Biomedical sciences and their specification and employment rates are really good. Other rates such as whether the students got enough support is good as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
8hours per week right?
Reply 18
8hours per week right?
Reply 19
Original post by ScottNUFriend
im a biomed student at northumbria, the degree is fairly difficult but not impossible. I do 18hrs a week in uni and prob 8 hrs study time out of uni. If your good at biology u wnt find it that hard

Cheers scott

8hours per week right?

Latest