The Student Room Group
Reply 1
watford110
Whats better, Leicester or Manchester.

In terms of reputation, I would go for Manchester. I have an offer to study law at Leicester. What course is it you are applying for?
Reply 2
Bhaal85
In terms of reputation, I would go for Manchester. I have an offer to study law at Leicester. What course is it you are applying for?

Financial Economics BA. On heindseight I feel i should have opted for straight Economics but nonetheless not too dissappointed.

I am applying to do Accounting and Finance at Manchester, and LSE for that matter. If i do not get into LSE for whatever reason, I would prefer to go to Leicester.
Reply 3
watford110
Financial Economics BA. On heindseight I feel i should have opted for straight Economics but nonetheless not too dissappointed.

I am applying to do Accounting and Finance at Manchester, and LSE for that matter. If i do not get into LSE for whatever reason, I would prefer to go to Leicester.

Why Leicester? Have you been there?
Reply 4
Bhaal85
Why Leicester? Have you been there?

I have been there before allbeit to watch my beloved Watford to lose the Leicester City. It was the first ever game in their new stadium.

However, i never saw much of the city but its much closer to Watford than Manchester is, so out of the two i would probably go for Leicester.

But nothing is for certain yet!
Reply 5
watford110
I have been there before allbeit to watch my beloved Watford to lose the Leicester City. It was the first ever game in their new stadium.

However, i never saw much of the city but its much closer to Watford than Manchester is, so out of the two i would probably go for Leicester.

But nothing is for certain yet!

Is the reputation of Leicester on par with most universities?
Reply 6
Bhaal85
Is the reputation of Leicester on par with most universities?

Most universities??
Reply 7
J.S.
Most universities??

Well the top twenty at least. E.g Manchester, UKL, Kings, Essex, Sheffield, etc.
Reply 8
Bhaal85
Well the top twenty at least. E.g Manchester, UKL, Kings, Essex, Sheffield, etc.

Weeell........thats about right...

Aside from the obvious, there are Manchester, Bham, KCL, they're all regarded as being better universities. Out of the traditional universities, its 'borderline', quite a few of the 60's universities have very cearly overtaken Lesta too. Just look for the a/v A level score. Also, pretty much every place at Lesta is available via clearing. If you look at the fact that every Tom, Dick Prasad are off to uni, there's no good for Lesta to have so many of its places left during the clearing stage. Then again, KCL is doing badly too. Maybe 20-30 is about right for Lesta, as far as rankings go. I say 20-30 and its location within that would depend on ones own priorities and the department at which they were looking to study.
Reply 9
J.S.
Weeell........thats about right...

Aside from the obvious, there are Manchester, Bham, KCL, they're all regarded as being better universities. Out of the traditional universities, its 'borderline', quite a few of the 60's universities have very cearly overtaken Lesta too. Just look for the a/v A level score. Also, pretty much every place at Lesta is available via clearing. If you look at the fact that every Tom, Dick Prasad are off to uni, there's no good for Lesta to have so many of its places left during the clearing stage. Then again, KCL is doing badly too. Maybe 20-30 is about right for Lesta, as far as rankings go. I say 20-30 and its location within that would depend on ones own priorities and the department at which they were looking to study.

Then what you are basically saying is, that its like one of them polytechnics? I didn't realise that their courses where on clearing. Are we talking about the same uni, and not De Montfort?
Reply 10
Bhaal85
Then what you are basically saying is, that its like one of them polytechnics? I didn't realise that their courses where on clearing. Are we talking about the same uni, and not De Montfort?

no no, not like one of the poly's.....I said 20-30. Remember, there 100 odd universities, the ex poly's are typically found in the bottom 20-30, rather than the top 20/30.
Reply 11
J.S.
no no, not like one of the poly's.....I said 20-30. Remember, there 100 odd universities, the ex poly's are typically found in the bottom 20-30, rather than the top 20/30.

I have just looked at the league tables. The Guardian rates Law there as 10th overall for that department, whereas on the general league table that is composed on all the major tabloids, Leicester is rated 24th. Surely it cant be that bad? How come Law is on clearing?
Bhaal85
I have just looked at the league tables. The Guardian rates Law there as 10th overall for that department, whereas on the general league table that is composed on all the major tabloids, Leicester is rated 24th. Surely it cant be that bad? How come Law is on clearing?

Pay no mind to those facking league tables, they're spouted around this forum like they're the law. They're all out of date, massively out of date.
Reply 13
onearmedscissor
Pay no mind to those facking league tables, they're spouted around this forum like they're the law. They're all out of date, massively out of date.

Indeed, Im not actually basing it on the tables though. Its there, available via clearing as is every other course with the exception of Medicine. The people that go there are almost all rejects from places like Bham, Manchester, and the better ones are rejects from Notts, Warwick, Bristol and the like. Its not that bad at all. If you go there, do well, you have a respected degree. You have to look at the broader pic, the Poly's, they consist not of rejects, but rather of people who wouldnt even BE at university, had it not been for the 92 universities act (i.e. that's when they were given univ. status).

Latest

Trending

Trending