Turn on thread page Beta

Forensic science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted to be a forensic scientist since i discovered the subjects which was about the age of 9. That is all i want to do, I'm not sure how to go about it and very shortly I have my options coming up. I know i know not exactly a disaster but never the less I scary time for me. I feel I need to go in exactly the direction of forensics. I can not get hardly any useful advice to help me and am now beginning to dread that my career is falling before has even started. I just wondered if anyone had any useful sites or resources to help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    I have always wanted to be a forensic scientist since i discovered the subjects which was about the age of 9. That is all i want to do, I'm not sure how to go about it and very shortly I have my options coming up. I know i know not exactly a disaster but never the less I scary time for me. I feel I need to go in exactly the direction of forensics. I can not get hardly any useful advice to help me and am now beginning to dread that my career is falling before has even started. I just wondered if anyone had any useful sites or resources to help me?
    Maths/Science

There's different types of forensics too, lab based ones that process the evidence found and analytic ones out in the field who also try to determine what has happened.

There isn't any options specifically in school that help you directly, however Electronics and Law are more relevant than the others. Electronics will help you with your physics and Law will help you with your morals!

Specifically look at University websites via http://www.ucas.com under the Forensic Science subject choice, here you'll be given more information as to what you need to study it and specifically what you'll be taught.

As for AS levels after your GCSEs, go Maths/Physics/Chemistry/Biology. The Biology isn't overly important but it could of course help you with cases where you're scraping up intestines for DNA samples. Not to dishearten you though!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Its not the intestines that dis-heartens me its the maths!! I hate it completely and utterly dread the lessons and I have an ace maths teacher. Its not that I'm rubbish at it on the contra actually but its so boring and I can't base any of my As levels on it because I will be climbing up that bell tower and jumping. Thank-you so much though I will look deeper to see if there is any different routes.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a good grade at GCSE you may not need to study maths for a degree in Forensic Science. Like already mentioned I would have a look at the ucas website and maybe the Forensic Science Society. If I were you I would do the Bio, Chem, Physics if that is for you and something that you enjoy doing. You may find that you stand a good chance with just Bio and Chem as well. Options wise I would make sure that you have Bio and Chem and see what certain institutions want. Its never too early to start researching into it...the more you can do to prepare the better!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.