More films like 'Amelie'...? Watch

bon_bon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've finally lost my subtitle virginity to 'Amelie' tonight....and am now on the hunt for some similar type of films! can anyone recommend anything? ...tried looking on play.com for what other customers buy...no such luck though!
felt_monkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Another awesome Audrey Tautou film is À la Folie, Pas Du Tout.
ArcaneAnna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Préparez vos mouchoirs
[translation; Get Out Your Handkerchiefs]

great film, very funny and witty.
Not quite like amelie, but it has a similar ...erm.... charm about it, i guess.
bullet_theory92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you could look on wikipedia, and look up the director and find out what else he/she has directed?
bon_bon
Rep:
?
Cheers for replies. Will do. Need to expand film collection slightly!
sd5077
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go onto amazon, and search for amelie, usually they have a section where "other customers who bought this also bought this too" and you could check out the films to see if they take your fancy? That way, there's a higher probability of finding a similar type of film? just a thought..
aliii
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bullet_theory92)
you could look on wikipedia, and look up the director and find out what else he/she has directed?
I would do this, I've seen a very long engagement, that's quite a sweet film too. I loved a film called jeux d'enfants too

To be honest I think Amelie is "one of a kind" I think that's why it's so popular. I doubt you'll find something similar to it :p:
member398873
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Delicatessen it's by the same guy that directed Amelie! It's a little bit darker though...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/

Also, it's not French- but my favourite film 'Goodbye, Lenin!' (which is in German) has a seriously quirky charm about it so PROMISE ME that you'll check that out too...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/
bon_bon
Rep:
?
aha yeh i've just read about delicatessen...looks pretty good..!
^.^
doubledot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could try the German film, Mostly Martha? It's not as quirky but I like it. Coincidentally, I'm currently going through all my Yann Tiersen songs right now - the guy who composed all the Amelie music.

Oh, and try the Love Film sites?
bon_bon
Rep:
?
haha cool love the music in it! looks like I know what student loan will be going on!
sd5077
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lechaton-x)
Delicatessen it's by the same guy that directed Amelie! It's a little bit darker though...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/

Also, it's not French- but my favourite film 'Goodbye, Lenin!' (which is in German) has a seriously quirky charm about it so PROMISE ME that you'll check that out too...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/
Delicatessen is great! watched it in lower sixth french, but yeah, was quite dark lol
Deutsch_Beth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely Delicatessen! Got the same kinda quirky humour about it (even if it is indeed darker than Amelie).

If you're into the foreign films in general then 'Pot Luck' (or L'Auberge Espagnol) is good, so is 'Les Choristes', 'Goodbye Lenin' and, slightly more raw; 'La Haine', a film about police riots in Paris.
username330427
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
French films? Please try Jules et Jim, it's SUCH a lovely film. As is Au Revoir Les Enfants, though studying that kind of ruined it a little for me. :p:
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can I just have a little rant about these threads? Everyone mentions the films they studied in school. So don't deduce that a film is great because it's being mentioned over and over again.

I don't know the French ones, but in German it's ALWAYS on every single thread:
- Goodbye, Lenin!
- Lola Rennt

because those are the ones German teachers show the students.

It's like have some effing imagination beyond your school lessons!

...sorry, rant over. :rofl:

ETA: Obviously there are people who have seen quite a few and/or genuinely like the films, FAIR PLAY. But I full on facepalm when I see "OMG I love Goodbye Lenin and Lola Rennt, they are the best German films everrrrrr!" It's like, how many other German films have you actually seen...?
member398873
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
Can I just have a little rant about these threads? Everyone mentions the films they studied in school. So don't deduce that a film is great because it's being mentioned over and over again.

I don't know the French ones, but in German it's ALWAYS on every single thread:
- Goodbye, Lenin!
- Lola Rennt

because those are the ones German teachers show the students.

It's like have some effing imagination beyond your school lessons!

...sorry, rant over. :rofl:

ETA: Obviously there are people who have seen quite a few and/or genuinely like the films, FAIR PLAY. But I full on facepalm when I see "OMG I love Goodbye Lenin and Lola Rennt, they are the best German films everrrrrr!" It's like, how many other German films have you actually seen...?
I never did German in school :confused:
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lechaton-x)
I never did German in school :confused:
Wasn't aiming it at you or even everyone, sorry about that. It just gets me.
member398873
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
Wasn't aiming it at you or even everyone, sorry about that. It just gets me.
Tehe, it's quite alright I've seen lots of German films though, my cousin is a translator in Braunchsweig and I've got various other family friends scattered around Germany. I can safely say- German cinema is pretty awesome, Goodbye Lenin is certainly up there as one of the best films!
ZoeH
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Again, Delicatessen (so good!), Love Me If You Dare, He Loves Me He Loves Me Not, Talk To Her, Pan's Labyrinth (not at all in the Amelie style but it is brilliant), All About My Mother.
kwassa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I quite like Apres Vous and Don't laugh at my romance, it's not really in Amelie style but still good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads