Difference Between Psychology A and Psychology B Watch

Academic Prowess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What is the difference.

I'm assuming they're not tied in with each other. Thanks in advance.
wellpastmybedtime
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What do you mean exactly? The difference between AQA specification A and AQA specification B? Thats the only thing I can think of unless you clarify.
Thanks.
booksnob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Academic Prowess)
What is the difference.

I'm assuming they're not tied in with each other. Thanks in advance.
They're different specifications covering different topics in psychology. They're not tied in with each other - you either do A or B.
wellpastmybedtime
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thats an obvious answer. Now let me fill in the details ( and then we both find out that you mean something else entirely - so much for assuming).

The AQA B specification used to belong to an examination board called the NEAB (and prior to that the JMB) . I used to teach it (very successfully) back in those days.

The AQA A specification belonged to the AEB examining board at that time. I taught that too for a while, but not so happily.

Then the boards were amalgamated and formed AQA, however they kept the two different specifications for reasons I have never entirely understood to be honest.

I found that the AQA B specification tended to suit more practical students where AQA is .... well I am not sure what by comparison.

Lets say I always found AQA B more rewarding to teach.

The AQA B specification is certainly more straightforward although recent changes to it have altered that somewhat. Those teachers and centres who do the AQA B are generally slightly more enlightened as to their students abilities , have broader spread of ability etc. but most often use this specification because it is a legacy in their centre.

I would imagine the AQA A specification is similar. I know a number of centres have recently moved from AQA A to AQA B - and its probably that movement that keeps the specification going (otherwise I suspect AQA would try and lose it) .

They are quite different in content and marking requirements.
Academic Prowess
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks guys, no more assistance required.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ummm what the! how the heck are you meant to know what to study???

So confused! :confused:

I'm trying to set myself up for self study.
Was advised by the distance learning program ICS Learn https://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-...el-psychology/ to buy the books:

• AQA Psychology B AS: Student's Book by Mark Billingham, Sarah Ladbrook, Sue Standring, and Regina Teahan

• AQA A2 Psychology B Student's book by Mark Billingham, Kevin Brewer, Sarah Ladbrook, and David Messer

so I did only to find now that there appears to be 2 different types of A level Psychology !!??

I have to say i'm still confused!

I went on to the AQA site and downloaded what I thought was THE A Level Psychology exam Specification. Thought the A in Psychology A stood for A level!

So does it matter what I take A or B???

Whats the point in having 2 are they different difficulty levels?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jennywickett)
ummm what the! how the heck are you meant to know what to study???

So confused! :confused:

I'm trying to set myself up for self study.
Was advised by the distance learning program ICS Learn https://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-...el-psychology/ to buy the books:

• AQA Psychology B AS: Student's Book by Mark Billingham, Sarah Ladbrook, Sue Standring, and Regina Teahan

• AQA A2 Psychology B Student's book by Mark Billingham, Kevin Brewer, Sarah Ladbrook, and David Messer

so I did only to find now that there appears to be 2 different types of A level Psychology !!??

I have to say i'm still confused!

I went on to the AQA site and downloaded what I thought was THE A Level Psychology exam Specification. Thought the A in Psychology A stood for A level!

So does it matter what I take A or B???

Whats the point in having 2 are they different difficulty levels?
Sigh. Read the post above you. The first book you cited is the AS book (first year) and the second book is the A2 book (second year). They are just different specifications with different assessments...
jennywickett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
Sigh. Read the post above you. The first book you cited is the AS book (first year) and the second book is the A2 book (second year). They are just different specifications with different assessments...
Yep not questioning that the 2 books are parts 1 and 2 of the overall Psychology B A level course, what I am confused by is that there exists a Psychology A A level course. I did not know there was more than one type of A level Psychology course.

I did read the above but am still unsure as to what the difference between the Psychology A A level course and the Psychology B A level

The AQA B specification is certainly more straightforward although recent changes to it have altered that somewhat. Those teachers and centres who do the AQA B are generally slightly more enlightened as to their students abilities , have broader spread of ability etc. but most often use this specification because it is a legacy in their centre.

I would imagine the AQA A specification is similar. I know a number of centres have recently moved from AQA A to AQA B - and its probably that movement that keeps the specification going (otherwise I suspect AQA would try and lose it) .

They are quite different in content and marking requirements.
From this all I can tell is that there are 2 types A and B and that B is more straightforward but both are
quite different in content and marking requirements
So can you just choose A or B then? Does it matter?
Are there point differences?
Is B seen as better than A or vise versa?

How did you guys choose between taking A or B or was that decision
made for you by the institution you study with?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one really is given a choice about choosing either, and it doesn't really matter much in terms of that univerisities/employers won't care or understand the difference.

A bigger difference will be whether you do IB psychology or the Cambridge Pre-U course. I think those courses are known to be more difficult and stretching - although they tend to be only offered at posh independent schools (i just did the a level btw). The Pre-U for psychology is taught in a similar way to undergraduate cambridge psychology, so it allows for greater scope for personal thinking, and you have to do more individual reading from different sources rather than just memorise a textbook.

Psychology A level is fairly perscriptive in contrast- and most university psychology departments don't really like it much.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
No one really is given a choice about choosing either, and it doesn't really matter much in terms of that univerisities/employers won't care or understand the difference.

A bigger difference will be whether you do IB psychology or the Cambridge Pre-U course. I think those courses are known to be more difficult and stretching - although they tend to be only offered at posh independent schools (i just did the a level btw). The Pre-U for psychology is taught in a similar way to undergraduate cambridge psychology, so it allows for greater scope for personal thinking, and you have to do more individual reading from different sources rather than just memorise a textbook.

Psychology A level is fairly perscriptive in contrast- and most university psychology departments don't really like it much.
Thank you! That makes it a bit more understandable. Think I had better go find out what my local collage/examining board where I will be taking the test actually offers. I guess that will decide for me?

Thanks again iammichealjackson
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?