Ross E
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just looking at some courses after I finish my degree to see what is out there and I stumbled across this University.

Does anyone know of it's reputation ?

The MA in Conference Interpreting lasts two years ( as opposed to 1 year here ) and it's only 600 euros/year :eek:

It also states that ' all graduates become interpreters '. Is this really the case ?

Would it be better to do this course for 2 years, or a Masters here for one? And just how competitive in the entry, would I be needing to get at least a 2.1 ?

Any advice/comments is appreciated. :yep:
Xurvi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not sure, but I think the ESIT is highly reknown and the entry is "sur dossier", which means there are limited places and only the best get into it. I might be wrong though.

All graduates probably don't become interpreters though. Usually they say something like that but they don't say when they do... Maybe they are unemployed for years before finding a job.
wes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Entry to the Interpretation section is indeed sur dossier as Xurvi says, and they're pretty picky. There are requirements in terms of time spent in countries of your A/B languages (can't remember, figures like 6 and 12 months come into my head). A friend of mine took their exam (you have to do one in addition to providing a dossier) and failed, after already spending a year on their régime spécial for translation in languages not normally taught at the ÉSIT, and she was far from bad...

It's also worth noting that the average age on this course is higher, generally attracting people who have already spent time in professional occupations (I don't know if this is your case or not) or indeed who are already practicing translators). I get the impression that it's harder going than the translation section, and trust me, that's not a walk in the park either! I can't commend on any "all graduates become interpreters" claim (I'm surprised that they'd make that???). It isn't the case for the translators, and they're open about that fact. It is true that there should be a good deal of international organization recruitment for interpreters in the not so distant future though, so I'd say that prospects are fairly good.

As for grade requirements, I really don't know. For the translation section you just have to have an undergraduate degree, but this isn't the case in interpretation. I suspect they take a lot of notice of things like your time abroad, professional experience, though.

Finally... it really isn't an easy ride studying at ÉSIT. It's great, but everything is complicated, and coming from a British university I found the administration of the school to be very harsh and inflexible... Let me know if you have any other questions anyway. I don't know all that much about the interpretation section, but I don't think there are any more Ésitiens on the site...
Mildred1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Although no one has been asking any question here for 4 years, I would like to ask one. I am currently looking for someone to train with, for tmy ESIT M1 entrance exams (set for the end of March 2015). In other words, what do I mean ? I need to improve my fluency in English or Portuguese (or even both). That is to say, talking with someone at least 3 or 4 hours a week (more will be great, but we cannot have whatever we want, right ?). Plus, it would be great if that person was a patient one, because it will be of use for both of us. I also speak French so, if you are interested, do not hesitate in answering Of course, this is for free (I am not intending to pay someone or be paid for what I will do) and for motivated students only Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%