Work experience? Where are you going or where did you go? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sergio Delor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Im very interested in finded out where different people have done there work experience and how they got it. I myself will be working at HSBC bank for 4 weeks.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I couldn't be arsed to choose anywhere, so I left it to Trident... and where did they send me? McDonalds :mad:
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That is not the reason for work experience. It is for getting to know different work places, ie go to hospital, bank, legal place to see what you want to do growing up. Working for 4 weeks in one place is a waste of time. 2 weeks max. Noone I can assure you want to keep you for 4 weeks. (unless your dad is in HSBC?)

I went 2 weeks in St. Johns Teaching hospital for some experience. Real eyeopener.
sergio Delor
No my father does not work at hsbc but he is a barrister and is very good at getting what he wants hence my 4 weeks at hsbc.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Spread your time around, ie go 2 weeks hsbc, and 2 weeks with your dad.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm.. work experience..
well I spent a month in Tanzania when work experience was on. does that count?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I worked for 2 weeks in a design studio, I sat on their computers surfing the net, occasionally delivering things around Manchester for them, or cutting up drafts from the printer. It was fun. They gave me £100 at the end, and being 15, was rather impressed=P
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sergio Delor)
No my father does not work at hsbc but he is a barrister and is very good at getting what he wants hence my 4 weeks at hsbc.
I agree with 2776, 4 weeks is a very long period for work experience, normally people go for 1 week or 2 weeks max! Plus you're not actually working, you'll most likely be watching other people so it's not that fun - my brother did work experience in a bank for 1 week and the only good thing about it was that they covered his costs for transport and lunch He found it incredibly boring (and from that point on he decided didn't want to be an accountant after all )
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I organize my own work experience I don't leave it to people who don't know what I want. In year 10 I did it at News International at their Internet Department and this Summer I'm at BBC News in London
sergio Delor
Spread your time around, ie go 2 weeks hsbc, and 2 weeks with your dad

-------------------------------------------------------------------

i spend a lot of time with him i can do work expereince with him ne time i want but i am hoping for a career in banking and finance and economics.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I organize my own work experience I don't leave it to people who don't know what I want. In year 10 I did it at News International at their Internet Department and this Summer I'm at BBC News in London
how come you're doing work exp. twice?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I worked for 2 weeks in a design studio, I sat on their computers surfing the net, occasionally delivering things around Manchester for them, or cutting up drafts from the printer. It was fun. They gave me £100 at the end, and being 15, was rather impressed=P
Oo wow ! Unfortunately I didn't get paid but I did have two of the best work experience placements I could have ever wished for!

I did one week in a lab with the National Blood Service - they let me do loads of practical work by myself (but obviously they supervised me so I didn't muck up) like mushing up umbilical cords and extracting DNA - huge amounts of fun

I also did one week in the paediatrics department in a hospital - I just found it amazing being in a hospital environment and they were all so lovely! Plus I found the atmosphere a lot less depressing and lively compared to the general medical ward I volunteer on
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well the first one was in Year 10 and it was necessary, they wanted to send me to McDonalds but I rebelled and only ended up with fantastic work experience but met some contacts that now work at Reuters and other major places in the media, and as I am doing what I technically call a "Gap Year" in which I am studying three extra AS levels I finish in May, and though it would be a good idea to spend the 5 months working earning cash for University, I thought it would look good on my Personal Statement, never thought I'd actually get it! Well, except I know loads of people at the BBC so I think there were some strings pulled. It all goes on your CV at the end of it and to be involved with the two most important Media companies in the whole country by the time your 19 is pretty impressive if you want to be a journalist.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i did mine in a special needs school, was such hard work and sometimes upsetting, but still absalutely brilliant.

lou xxx
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've got a mental image of someone squishing up umbilical cords now and I have diner in five minutes :eek:
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I've got a mental image of someone squishing up umbilical cords now and I have diner in five minutes :eek:
lol, sorry bout that !
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Week at TV6 Ltd, a television production company
Week at the Financial Times (3 short articles were printed under my byline yey)
Did a day workshop thingie at UBS Warburg, looking at casestudies, markets, shadowing someone for the afternoon etc. Hoping to do a 2 week work placement at another investment bank at the end of the summer just before starting university.
Does babysitting for a cute 2 year old girl and playing play-doh with her count?
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i did mine in a special needs school, was such hard work and sometimes upsetting, but still absalutely brilliant.

lou xxx
My brother worked as a classroom assistant for a school for people with autism and other such disabilities last term for a few months, and I think he gained a lot from it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At 14 I spent 2 weeks travelling round the LEA with a music teacher (put me off teaching for good)
At 16 I spent 2 weeks working in the local planning office - mainly stuffing envelopes
At 17 I spent 3 months working in the local library for one afternoon a week and then spent 4 months (including 1 after my 18th birthday) volunteering at a local community run cinema (the one in Atomic Kitten's video from last christmas :cool: )
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emma_)
My brother worked as a classroom assistant for a school for people with autism and other such disabilities last term for a few months, and I think he gained a lot from it.
yeah, it is definately one of the most rewarding things i've ever done.

lou xxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed