Work experience? Where are you going or where did you go? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm going to the Edward Barnsley Workshop for mine.

[Oh *beep*! I've gone an forgotten to call them AGAIN! (need to arrange an interview!)]

They basically hand make extremely expensive furniture.
The (ex) Lord Chancellor bought a table (& chairs) from them with £25/28,000 of the tax payers money. Nice to know the public's earnings are going towards much needed resources and facilities :rolleyes:

Apparently I'm going to be making a bread board (whoo *dry*) while I'm there. Perhaps I should contact his Lordship and see whether he'd like to spend another few thousand on a matching accessory?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, should be good, although I have to be there for quarter past 8 or something, how cruel. I just hope I don't make a complete fool out of myself, I think I'll enjoy the 'watch and learn' parts more than the oppertunity to create.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sergio Delor)
Im very interested in finded out where different people have done there work experience and how they got it. I myself will be working at HSBC bank for 4 weeks.
Good work - I applied to HSBC's 4 week undergrad internship for Summer but got rejected. My mate did as well, even though we both have Treasurer positions and previous experience in banking (OK even if it was HSBC school branch).

Still waiting for most experience / internships acceptances/rejections to come in. Looks like Slaughter and May, a 'magic circle' law firm, for 2 weeks at Easter though.

Moving away from the world of journalism as I make The Daily Mirror's gossip column tomorrow...
bond2004
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Iworked with the London Ambulance Service for two weeks it was great.
londongirl
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
we find out on thursday where we're going for 2 weeks in march!
Blush Babe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In year 10 I said I wanted to have mine with lawyers (barristors) so they sent me to Denton Wilde Sapte for 1 week from 8 am to 6 pm and I have to admit, the offices were dead quiet, people were too busy and no one took care of me (tell what to do) so I didn't learn much...guess the guy they put me in care of didn't want to bother with kids. There were two nice ladies though who tried to get me to research stuff.
BB
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Becon Country Park in Skem.

fantastic, all i had to do was clear up leafs, trim afew trees and then i was allowed to go on the golf course next door.
s.ahmad3
Report 16 years ago
well, ive done quite a lot of work exp, but i dont think it matters how much youve actually done as long as its for a reasonable lenght.
I did 1 week (solid 9-6pm) w.e in a gp surgery in Year 10. Then i organised another week in the West Cumberland Hosputal Opthalmology dept during easter hols of year 11.

And finally w.e for the past 8+ months at the A+E and var other depts in west cumberland hospital, going in ~ once a week for a few hours. I organised this by writing to HR, but they bascially wernt v helpful. So i wrote to some doctors direct, who then helped me to organise it.

Overall, its v useful espescially the work experience ive been doing in Year 12/13. real fun watching people get cut open!
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I worked at a vets which has apparently been on vets in practice, (although i didnt know when i applied) it was great, always viriety, really cool, even though i'm clever enough to be a vet
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My work experience placement was at an Architects firm - which was when I learned I didn't want to follow that as a career path after all.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Then work experiance was useful, otherwise you might have ended up doin sumthing you hated
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
spent my year 10 work experience at "science systems" a computer programming place in Bristol. My friends dad was a programmer there and i went with him. quite cool in theory, they make computer programs for space sattelites and stuff.

i dont want to do anything like that again lol.

it was pretty cool though, you're used to school tables every day then you have your own desk,computer and office chair, i would lie back in my office chair, stretch my legs and think "i like this"

that wears off in about 30 minutes sadly.
adk
Report 16 years ago
I spent 10 days at Prebon Marshall Yamane, which is a Money Broker on Liverpool Street, in the City.

I LOVED it. So interesting.

Once again confirmed that that's the field I wanna work in!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
i would lie back in my office chair, stretch my legs and think "i like this"

that wears off in about 30 minutes sadly.
*sits up straight and takes feet off the desk*

Does it?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've got a job last April when I was 18, I don't know how but I managed to keep it and even to being promoted hehe.
Magnanimity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've done work experience in a dental hospital and 4 dental practices. Guess what I wanna be
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm going to the Cavendish Cambridge. Yay!! But only for 4 days. Can't wait though.
Kelli_1
Report 16 years ago
ive done a weeks work experience at HSBC bank, and i had the best time ever. they were all so friendly and helpful. iv learnt all about different aspects of banking.
if you get the cahnce to go to HSBC GO!!!! its such an expereince,
i hope when iv graduated i get the chance to work there!!
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
which branch did you go 2?
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Year 10 I worked in a little solicitors office
Last Feb, I went to France and did some work experience in a hotel
Last summer I was helping out in a summer school.
fun lovin babe
Report 15 years ago
im doin my workl expreance in september and i was wondering if you knew any sites i could vistit to find out were i can go can you help
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads