BSMS Medical Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

bindy
im applying here!!!!

8A* 2A at GCSE
5A at AS level
predicted 2A* 2A at A2
UKCAT of 680....

does anyone know if BSMS can offer you A*AB .... or if all their offers are just AAA...
i reaaaally dont want an A*AB offer....so much added pressure to get an A*!!!

I think the offer will be based on you getting so many UCAS points from 3 full A-Levels equivalent to either AAA or A*AB
Reply 21
I'm applying! Really liked the open day, let's just hope they like me!
Reply 22
is BSMS...superrrr competitve
like...LOTS

not the normal competitiveness?
Reply 23
It's Med School. You won't find one that's not super competitive. BSMS is a small med school however, so it's more competitive than most.
Reply 24
Last year BSMS had 26 applicants for every available place, the average for medicine is 10 - so yes, it's very competitive.
Definitely my top choice, having been on the Brightmed outreach project I am completely in love with BSMS. The only problem is that I got a C in AS chemistry :angry: predicted A at A level but still going to be 2 points down on the academic part due to that.
Good luck all anyway :smile:
Josh93
Last year BSMS had 26 applicants for every available place, the average for medicine is 10 - so yes, it's very competitive.
Definitely my top choice, having been on the Brightmed outreach project I am completely in love with BSMS. The only problem is that I got a C in AS chemistry :angry: predicted A at A level but still going to be 2 points down on the academic part due to that.
Good luck all anyway :smile:

I always thought it was 17:1 at least that's what the statistics showed? I know how you feel about the chemistry. I got a B at AS last year and was 0.5 points off an interview...just knowing if I had had that A I would have had an interview. It is such an awesome place!!!
Reply 26
a moist feeling
I always thought it was 17:1 at least that's what the statistics showed? I know how you feel about the chemistry. I got a B at AS last year and was 0.5 points off an interview...just knowing if I had had that A I would have had an interview. It is such an awesome place!!!

They had 3200 applicants for 120 places last year. Either way, it's extemely competitive.
Ah! That's awful :frown: I'm probably going to be in the same situation a year from now so my heart goes out for you.
What score did you get? If you don't mind me asking?
Josh93
They had 3200 applicants for 120 places last year. Either way, it's extemely competitive.
Ah! That's awful :frown: I'm probably going to be in the same situation a year from now so my heart goes out for you.
What score did you get? If you don't mind me asking?

I got 25/30 and was told that the interview threshold was 25.5 :mad: oh well I have my A* in chemistry now!
Reply 28
a moist feeling
I got 25/30 and was told that the interview threshold was 25.5 :mad: oh well I have my A* in chemistry now!

Wow...congrats on the chemistry! You have to tell me your secret lol I've got to turn my C into an A or it doesn't matter even if they do give me an offer.
I wish I hadn't asked now, my score is almost certainly going to be 25 :eek3:
Josh93
Wow...congrats on the chemistry! You have to tell me your secret lol I've got to turn my C into an A or it doesn't matter even if they do give me an offer.
I wish I hadn't asked now, my score is almost certainly going to be 25 :eek3:

No you never know. My personal statement left a lot to be desired last year, and I had done no work experience! This year I feel in a stronger position because I have work experience, and work in a hospital! I would love to get into BSMS, it is definitely my number 1.
Reply 30
a moist feeling
No you never know. My personal statement left a lot to be desired last year, and I had done no work experience! This year I feel in a stronger position because I have work experience, and work in a hospital! I would love to get into BSMS, it is definitely my number 1.

:smile: I think you're almost certain to get an unconditional offer with an A* in chemistry, (I'm guessing two other A's including biology?) and such amazing work experience. They like people that have the determination and commitment to come back again next year too.
In all seriousness, any advice you can give on chemistry?
Josh93
:smile: I think you're almost certain to get an unconditional offer with an A* in chemistry, (I'm guessing two other A's including biology?) and such amazing work experience. They like people that have the determination and commitment to come back again next year too.
In all seriousness, any advice you can give on chemistry?

Not really, just work hard at it. Lucky for me I enjoyed A2 chemistry much more than AS chemistry and that made it much easier!
Reply 32
Yeah, I've just got to knuckle down I guess, thanks.
Anyway, best of luck, let me know if you hear anything :smile:
Reply 33
I only just discovered BSMS like last week, finally a med school where I could surf!!
My only qualm about applying to it would be that as I'd never even heard of it it may not be that prestigious? :s-smilie:
And as its on its own seperate websit perhaps it would lack the "true" Uni experience?
Reply 34
lauren9331
I only just discovered BSMS like last week, finally a med school where I could surf!!
My only qualm about applying to it would be that as I'd never even heard of it it may not be that prestigious? :s-smilie:
And as its on its own seperate websit perhaps it would lack the "true" Uni experience?

Huh? lol
In answer to your first point, it is extremely popular and you probably haven't heard of it because you live a long way away and it's fairly new.
Not sure what you mean by seperate websit...you will be a student of both Sussex (which is a campus uni of about 11,000 students) and Brighton uni, you would live on campus so I don't see why you wouldn't be getting the 'true' Uni experience...
On the other hand, you can't really surf at Brighton, it's the single most amazing city in the UK :biggrin: but the sea here is no good for surfing, the waves are too small and form too close to shore. You'd be better off looking at Bristol if you want prestige and surfing.
Personally I think BSMS is brilliant but by all means decide against applying, the less competition the better :P
Reply 35
Josh93
Huh? lol
In answer to your first point, it is extremely popular and you probably haven't heard of it because you live a long way away and it's fairly new.
Not sure what you mean by seperate websit...you will be a student of both Sussex (which is a campus uni of about 11,000 students) and Brighton uni, you would live on campus so I don't see why you wouldn't be getting the 'true' Uni experience...
On the other hand, you can't really surf at Brighton, it's the single most amazing city in the UK :biggrin: but the sea here is no good for surfing, the waves are too small and form too close to shore. You'd be better off looking at Bristol if you want prestige and surfing.
Personally I think BSMS is brilliant but by all means decide against applying, the less competition the better :P

Yeah Im from Ireland, I hadn't really wanted to go over to england til recently, so research research research! Shame about the waves, but the weather would be promising.
What I meant was if youre a student of two Unis surely you couldnt live in halls as you'd want a half-way house between the two?
And I got a good UKCAT, so Im gona make use of it and avoid Bristol :smile:
Reply 36
lauren9331
Yeah Im from Ireland, I hadn't really wanted to go over to england til recently, so research research research! Shame about the waves, but the weather would be promising.
What I meant was if youre a student of two Unis surely you couldnt live in halls as you'd want a half-way house between the two?
And I got a good UKCAT, so Im gona make use of it and avoid Bristol :smile:

Hmm, Peninsula is good for surfing, in the West Country - random thought. We do have a lot of watersports but it's not really possible to surf.
That's cool, I'm half Irish but I've never been over there unfortantely.
It's not nearly as bad as you'd imagine with accomadation, the two sites are literaly next to each other so whichever site you choose to live on you won't have more than a ten minute walk to facilities on the other and you get to take advantage of the facilities of both universities - it's really a pretty good deal :wink: You either live on one campus or the other.
BSMS isn't big on the UKCAT, Kings is quite fond of it I think? Not too sure where else, congrats for doing well on it though - I couldn't stand the poxy thing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Josh93
Hmm, Peninsula is good for surfing, in the West Country - random thought. We do have a lot of watersports but it's not really possible to surf.
That's cool, I'm half Irish but I've never been over there unfortantely.
It's not nearly as bad as you'd imagine with accomadation, the two sites are literaly next to each other so whichever site you choose to live on you won't have more than a ten minute walk to facilities on the other and you get to take advantage of the facilities of both universities - it's really a pretty good deal :wink: You either live on one campus or the other.
BSMS isn't big on the UKCAT, Kings is quite fond of it I think? Not too sure where else, congrats for doing well on it though - I couldn't stand the poxy thing.

Yeah I have Edinburgh, Kings and Queen's Belfast.. just want to apply somewhere down south for a wee bit of variety. Peninsula's prospectus came today, its defo not for me.. :/ Southhampton looks weird too as the faculty is based IN the hospital. All the southern med schools seem to be "bitsy" for want of a MUCH better word lol
Reply 38
Im applying to Brighton this year as a reapplicant... last year i only scored 22/30 as my gcses were pretty poor.
But now I have a ukcat of 745, alevels of A*AA and i am working as a healthcare assistant. What do you reckon?? any chance??
Reply 39
jazzymedic
Im applying to Brighton this year as a reapplicant... last year i only scored 22/30 as my gcses were pretty poor.
But now I have a ukcat of 745, alevels of A*AA and i am working as a healthcare assistant. What do you reckon?? any chance??

Chance? Of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending