16 year olds should have the vote! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
16 Year olds: Should they be allowed to vote?

Yes
  • "No taxation without representation". If we are old enough to pay taxes, it is surely our demoractic right to vote!
  • If we are mature enough to marry, we are mature enough to vote.
superior
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry mate i think noone is interisted ..

(am sure after they read this all will say no i am and bla bla bla ..)
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
local elections maybe not national ones.

jesus have you seen the majority of 16 year olds today? bunch of nutters :rolleyes:
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Old enough to do all that, yet generally not old enough to know what they're voting for. I'm actually all for raising the voting age to 21. It is 18 here in Australia, and I've had to vote some 5-6 times. However I'll be the first to admit that at 18 years of age, I didn't know, or even care, what I was voting for. I can safely say the same of others. Yet is is illegal not to vote here. I do think you have a point in the UK, where from some comments made on this forum I'm led to believe that you do not have to vote if you do not wish to. Thus if a 16 year old knows their stuff and so desires, I guess I can't see any problem with it. Please correct me on the legality of voting over there though please, if I'm wrong.
Tek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Old enough to do all that, yet generally not old enough to know what they're voting for. I'm actually all for raising the voting age to 21. It is 18 here in Australia, and I've had to vote some 5-6 times. However I'll be the first to admit that at 18 years of age, I didn't know, or even care, what I was voting for. I can safely say the same of others. Yet is is illegal not to vote here.
Many "mature" adults don't know who they're voting for, should we bar them from voting too?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Many "mature" adults don't know who they're voting for, should we bar them from voting too?
Yes. I think there should be at least some kind of disqualification test. Voting is an important thing, hence the age cut off point. It shouldn't be allowed to those who are just ticking a box for the sake of it.
Tek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Yes. I think there should be at least some kind of disqualification test. Voting is an important thing, hence the age cut off point. It shouldn't be allowed to those who are just ticking a box for the sake of it.
Don't you think that in a democratic country everyone is entitled to vote for who they pay their taxes to? How could you approach people and say "you are too stupid to vote"? That would reverse the spirit of democracy which has been in place for many many years!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
18 is when we are classed as "adult" and we vote when we are adults. the law cant be subjective. some adults arent political at all whilst some younger are. Whatever age it is at ppl wont be happy anyway
Tek
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattG)
18 is when we are classed as "adult" and we vote when we are adults.
Um, we can have sex, get married, leave home, get a job and pay taxes when we're sixteen. Is this not adulthood??
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
18 should be the voting age. Anything else is stupid.
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
16-year-olds are still kids really. Some are still forced by the law to stay in school and most of them are still very childish. When I started my A-levels, it was like being in Year 11. Kids still had fights, they teased the teachers, they bullied other kids and so on. By the time they acted maturely, they were about 17 something. I personally think that most 16-year-olds have a lot of growing up to do - and the line must be drawn somewhere, so why not 18? The months between 16 and 18 don't seem that long - but mentally, it is. It's the time where school kids are gradually phased into the adult world - a time, when a lot of thinking must be done. At 16, a lot of kids still look up to adults as if they have some sort of authority!

When I was 16, I used to moan about how unfair it was as I was strongly into politics. Now that I'm 21, I can see why 18 is a reasonable age.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
18 should be the voting age. Anything else is stupid.
What about 21? I read somewhere that the reason for the age being set at 18 was that at the time people could and were leaving school at 16. Thus being in the real world for around two years before being able to cast a vote. Makes some sense, yet with the majority of high school students actually finishing and even going to uni, shouldn't the age be raised a bit? Real world experience really is a major factor in regard to a vote based on knowledge. Thus I just don't think it should be allowed to 16yr olds who generally would have no idea what they're voting for.

(Original post by Tek)
Um, we can have sex, get married, leave home, get a job and pay taxes when we're sixteen. Is this not adulthood??
It isn't. In no way is that adulthood. It is close, but an inch is as good as a mile if it is only close.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
16-year-olds are still kids really. Some are still forced by the law to stay in school and most of them are still very childish. When I started my A-levels, it was like being in Year 11. Kids still had fights, they teased the teachers, they bullied other kids and so on. By the time they acted maturely, they were about 17 something. I personally think that most 16-year-olds have a lot of growing up to do - and the line must be drawn somewhere, so why not 18? The months between 16 and 18 don't seem that long - but mentally, it is. It's the time where school kids are gradually phased into the adult world - a time, when a lot of thinking must be done. At 16, a lot of kids still look up to adults as if they have some sort of authority!

When I was 16, I used to moan about how unfair it was as I was strongly into politics. Now that I'm 21, I can see why 18 is a reasonable age.
Well said.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
....not watch an 18 certificated movie or drink alcohol?
bruceleemk2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
personally,i feel that this is a tricky subject cos truth b known most 16 year old culd not b bothered wit politics.im 17 and i dont know wats goin on cos i jus aint interested but not only that,politicians blag their way so much that nobody knows wat they're actually goin to do and wat they're jus sayin they're gonna do
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bruceleemk2)
personally,i feel that this is a tricky subject cos truth b known most 16 year old culd not b bothered wit politics.im 17 and i dont know wats goin on cos i jus aint interested but not only that,politicians blag their way so much that nobody knows wat they're actually goin to do and wat they're jus sayin they're gonna do
There are a few good ones out there who tell the truth though. Don't be disenchanted just yet. An example would be the Australian former Democrat leader Natasha Stott Despojia (sp) then again she got railroaded by the sneaky *******s she was up against. Still she won some fans with her habit of doing what she claimed. Saved her from falling completely out of politics. So you may wish to keep an eye out for these lovely few. Sorry to go a bit off topic there.
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

Yes
  • "No taxation without representation". If we are old enough to pay taxes, it is surely our demoractic right to vote!
[I dont agree with you on that. I aint saying that all 16year olds are immature but most of them are. I dont think that wyhen ur 16 ur mature enough to vote...its something you gain when you reach a mature age.

Ps. Just because your old enough to marry at 16 doesn't make you mature...my personal opinion...they should move being able to get married to 18, sorry if that offends ya.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

Yes
but 16 yr olds don't pay tax.

plus the fact that most 16 yr olds (and 18yr odls for that matter) aren't that interested in polictics.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[*]"No taxation without representation". If we are old enough to pay taxes, it is surely our demoractic right to vote!

So, are you saying that sufferage should only extend to those 16 year olds in the workforce and paying taxes?

I'd almost agree except for the fact that if you are using being a tax payer as a requisite for being able to vote, what about all the 20 year old college students that aren't paying taxes? Are they to be excluded from the democratic process?
[*]If we are mature enough to marry, we are mature enough to vote.[/list][/QUOTE]

You are not mature enough to marry at 16. For this reason a) parental consent is required and b) the failure rate of marriages that start at this early ages is astronomical.

In addittion, I would say that "the average 16 year old" politically speaking does'nt know his ass from a hole in the ground making sufferage at this age a very crap idea.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
[I dont agree with you on that. I aint saying that all 16year olds are immature but most of them are. I dont think that wyhen ur 16 ur mature enough to vote...its something you gain when you reach a mature age.

Ps. Just because your old enough to marry at 16 doesn't make you mature...my personal opinion...they should move being able to get married to 18, sorry if that offends ya.
Mature enough for what? Immaturity is where you act like a kid, which has nothing to do with voting. Why do you have to be so mature to put a cross in a box? So what if some aren't interested, then that's up to them if they don't vote. We should give the oppertunity to those who want to vote. It really annoys me how you are adult at 15 for the cinema and for using a bus however at 15 you can't vote, drink or have sex. They should stick to the same age. Annoying.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads