16 year olds should have the vote! Watch

This discussion is closed.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
when i was 17 it really annoyed me that i couldnt vote in the local elections but all my best mates could (because im one of the youngest in my school year..and the elections are in may) but they didnt really want to vote so most didnt and one did just for the sake...where as i wanted to actually vote for a candidate...

...now that i can vote...i think its fine for the age limit to be 18.

but how bout the tax/marrige/sex/leveing home/get a job limit all be raised to 18..then you couldnt moan.

love Katy ***
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think 18 is a reasonable age. Tek, do you pay tax? If you are basing voting on paying taxes would you then agree that only people who have dropped out of school and are paying tax should be able to vote, and that sixth form students shouldnt be allowed to?

Why is there even a discussion? 16 year olds are children, and children shouldnt be allowed to vote. And the marriage thing ... most mature level headed 16 year olds wouldnt even think about marriage at their age.
MurphysMoment.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Couldn't care less I'm not one of them.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Um, we can have sex, get married, leave home, get a job and pay taxes when we're sixteen. Is this not adulthood??
yeah, but by that time you've also been charged adult fares on buses, trains, and paid full prices for holidays (or at least you parents have)... why not lower the age to 14 in that case!?!

I agree with whoever said 16 years olds were muppets - looking back I couldn't even decide wwhat colour to dye my hair let alone be interested in knowing who to vote for.

I must concede there are exceptions tho.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)

I agree with whoever said 16 years olds were muppets - looking back I couldn't even decide wwhat colour to dye my hair let alone be interested in knowing who to vote for.
I'm not even 16 and I'm completly sure that my oppinions have developed quite a bit and I doubt they will change. 16 year olds have needs and by giving them the vote, the government would have to target them more.

But even if you give the vote to 18 years olds, some can't even vote until 21. By giving it at 16, you make this age decrease to 19.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I'm not even 16 and I'm completly sure that my oppinions have developed quite a bit and I doubt they will change. 16 year olds have needs and by giving them the vote, the government would have to target them more.

But even if you give the vote to 18 years olds, some can't even vote until 21. By giving it at 16, you make this age decrease to 19.
Oh, I'd be very surprized if your views do not evolve and quite possibly dramatically metamorphasize over the course of your life. If they don't you'll be one of very
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Oh, I'd be very surprized if your views do not evolve and quite possibly dramatically metamorphasize over the course of your life. If they don't you'll be one of very
My views may change a little, but it's very likely I'll stick to the same party. Unless I turn rich.
Alex4Britney
Report 15 years ago
Definetley Not :mad: I Am Only 14 And I Would Love 2 Vote, But There Are Loadz Of 16 Year Olds Who R Immature And Wouldn't Take It Seriously... Stick 2 18, Thats Wot I Say Anyway!!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alex4Britney)
Definetley Not :mad: I Am Only 14 And I Would Love 2 Vote, But There Are Loadz Of 16 Year Olds Who R Immature And Wouldn't Take It Seriously... Stick 2 18, Thats Wot I Say Anyway!!
Please describe an imature 16 year old. I'm interested why everyone keeps mentioning this.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
I think 18 is a reasonable age. Tek, do you pay tax? If you are basing voting on paying taxes would you then agree that only people who have dropped out of school and are paying tax should be able to vote, and that sixth form students shouldnt be allowed to?

Why is there even a discussion? 16 year olds are children, and children shouldnt be allowed to vote. And the marriage thing ... most mature level headed 16 year olds wouldnt even think about marriage at their age.
Of course I don't pay tax but then there are loads of undergraduates and unemployed adults who don't pay tax and they still get a vote! The point, because you missed it completely, is that you CAN pay tax at 16, so you should have a vote. Never heard of "no taxation without representation"?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Of course I don't pay tax but then there are loads of undergraduates and unemployed adults who don't pay tax and they still get a vote! The point, because you missed it completely, is that you CAN pay tax at 16, so you should have a vote. Never heard of "no taxation without representation"?
16 year olds are still rather impressionable. Just go and ask a teacher about peer pressure and they'll invariably mention people around the age of 16 in their explanation. Not a chance. 18 or 21.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
16 year olds are still rather impressionable. Just go and ask a teacher about peer pressure and they'll invariably mention people around the age of 16 in their explanation. Not a chance. 18 or 21.
If you are one of the lucky ones, you will get the vote. If not then you'd have to wait until 19.

16 YEAR OLDS HAVE VIEWS, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXPRESS THEM.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
when i was 16 i don't think i was very politically aware or knowledgeable enough - i think 18 is the right age.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
i think 18 is the right age.
How many 18 year olds care about politics? Hmm maybe we should up the age to 30 :rolleyes:
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
How many 18 year olds care about politics? Hmm maybe we should up the age to 30 :rolleyes:
If political awareness was a factor in being allowed the vote, about 75% of the population wouldn't be allowed to!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
If political awareness was a factor in being allowed the vote, about 75% of the population wouldn't be allowed to!
Exactly and so those who say 'but 16 year olds are to imature' (I've seen some very imature 18 year old boys and girls for that matter) or '16 year olds don't know anything about poltics don't have a leg to stand on.
_EMMA_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
well said
you can be 16 and know more about politics than one that is 26 but offcourse it goes the other way around as well.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
It is surely a simple concept to understand: if you are old enough to pay taxes, then it is your democratic right to be allowed to vote. Regardless of any issues concerning your intellect or your maturity, which I note DO NOT apply to anyone over 18, regardless of how clever you are or how mature you are, if you are old enough to live and work in society then you are old enough to vote!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
if you are old enough to pay taxes
Yes, they want to take your money off you but they don't allow you to choose how you want it spent.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Um, we can have sex, get married, leave home, get a job and pay taxes when we're sixteen. Is this not adulthood??

You can only get married with your parents' permission, technically, so no - it isn't adulthood. Your parents are still responsible for you.

I don't think 16 year-olds in general would be mature enough to vote. As I think Sire said, 16 is still an age where kids are generally very impressionable and will do anything to make sure they fit in with their peers. I'm not saying anything about you two, Tek or happysunshine, because there are always exceptions and I'm sure you two are exceptions. But I suspect that many 16 year-olds - certainly amongst the ones I know - would vote the way their friends did without really thinking about it, and in that case there really isn't much point. It's frustrating but then life's frustrating - you might as well get used to it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1365)
79.73%
Leave (347)
20.27%

Watched Threads