help! please! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello everyone!

I am in the middle of my A2 and I really need some advice on my coursework!

I should of chosen an easier topic but heres my prob...

I conducted an experiment on primary school children looking into the effect of aggressive cartoons on their behaviour. Now, I determined their behaviour by making them complete a storyboard that could have alternate endings. It all ran smoothly. However, the data I collected was obviously qualitative, and I need to statistically analyse it. So, I scored the participants answers using a point system; 1 point for "they are all friends, etc" (non-agressive) and 9 points for "They all die, etc" (agressive). I had 3 groups, one watched "itchy and scratchy" (aggressive), one watched "winnie the pooh" (non aggressive) and the other was the control group.

What I need to know is what kind of statistical test would be appropiate in this case?

Please, please, please, please, please, please, help me! I'm running out of time!!

Thanx! x
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Unfortunately I am not at my best this morning so I've confused myself with the type of data you collected. I am draw between nominal and ratio....but Im leaning towards the nominal. Nominal data is " a simple frequency headcount (the number of times something occured) found in discrete categories (something can only belong to one catergory). So you kind og had "catergory one" - not aggressive, "catergory 9" very aggressive. But Im not 100% sure. Can anyone else on this sight help? If it were nominal data and you used independent measured design, you would need to use the chi-squared test. However, you could say that your test was on the correlation/relationship between agressive cartoons and aggression and nominal data, fortunately, you would use exactly the same test for this. So what do you think? Is your data nominal? Sorry for all the questions and confusion, my brain isnt in gear this morning. Hope I helped a bit though.

Helen Brownsell
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise