Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need some help on deciding what university to choose, and would really really appreciate any thoughts or feedback and everyones views on what university I should choose (for economics).

Where I applied:

Oxford - rejected
    Bristol - AAA
    Nottingham - still no reply
    Durham - ABB
    Leeds - BBB
    Newcastle - BBB

What I want out of a university:
    My ideal university would be academically well known, and very very respected by employers, be in a city with a good social life (very important), have good teaching, and basically be a nice place for me to spend 3 years of my life, with other intellegent and nice fun people.

My thoughts on the universities:

Bristol - seemed okay but not amazing when I visited, didn't seem to grab my attention... I was first very pulled to Bristol because of glowing reports from my brothers friends brother who I was on holiday with, and because it was my brothers insurance choice. However, hardly anyone from school seemed to like it after the open day, and i've heard some bad things about it. Also I here the accomodation isnt exactly the best and is quite far away.

Nottingham - seemed nice enough but a little too 'campusy' for my liking. The town was quite a bus ride away and I might get claustrophobic!

Durham - applied because I had a space to fill I guess. I visited Durham but not with looking at the university in mind. I think that it would be too small for me? I know Newcastle is only a small train ride away but I like things close! The college is Hilde/Bede because my friends brother who is there recommended that one. No idea about it.

Leeds - I was really drawn to Leeds when I visited. It seemed to have a nice atmosphere, with nice looking people, and was right in the heart of the city. All the accomodation was more or less on campus which was another plus. People I know who are there all seem to like it.

Newcastle - Same offer as Leeds, and Leeds would win.

So basically i'm in a dilema between Bristol, Leeds and Durham.

I have to admit that if I was an employer, I would class degrees from Bristol and Durham as higher than one from Leeds. Am I being irrational? I think in the back of my mind that is what is putting me off, and ironically, the low BBB offer.

Please give me any thoughts you have which might help me develope my ideas more! (please, hehe I spent aggggesss typing that out!)

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for bristol or durham, aaa seems quite high - that's what cambridge gave me! what you applying for, just pm'd you too

ReputationRep:
    This isn't going to help you much, but i'm in kinda the same bind.

Gotta choose between Warwick, York and Manchester.

Leaning towards the latter, or maybe York, but know that Warwick has the most kudos.

Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    If you love your social life and want a good uni go to leeds, sum say theres too much social life and you dont get enough work done, but thats up to you, i live near leeds, its great

ReputationRep:
    aghhhh the decision is soooooo hard!!!!

I guess i'm going to have to go and visit them again....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_)
    aghhhh the decision is soooooo hard!!!!

I guess i'm going to have to go and visit them again....

Academically it's either Notts or Bristol, then Durham. However, as has been suggested, if youre not comfortable there, then your work could suffer. Also, naturally you will want to enjoy your univ. experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Academically it's either Notts or Bristol, then Durham. However, as has been suggested, if youre not comfortable there, then your work could suffer. Also, naturally you will want to enjoy your univ. experience
    Sorry to hijack your thread emma, but J.S. could you apply your wisdom to my post please? entitled 'Opinions Please?'

I consider you and Pencil Queen to be the sages of the forum.
    ROLE MODELS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)

Yea.... that's my HUGE dilema... academics or social life hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_)
    Yea.... that's my HUGE dilema... academics or social life hehe

oh of course. You just have to have a balance. Bristol does have greater 'respect', and is more widely known and regarded as a 'prominent university' than Leeds, although I don't think this is likely to make any significant difference to your employment prospects. What really matters is how well you do at university once you're there, and the skills you develop in doing so. You have to enjoy the experience too, you'll not get this time again, once it's over (wellll, unless you become a psotgrad!). Also, if you're comfortable at a particular instution, then there's a greater chance that you'd get 'more involved' with various extra curricular pursuits. This will help you, once you get applying for work.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't experienced a great deal of those places but I did hijack the Bristol life of an old gf for a while and it is a great place. Would go myself except they don't do my course. Many consider it an alternative to Oxbridge and with good reason.

ReputationRep:
    heya
    it really does depend wat ur looking to get after u finish uni....i think job prospects are best if u go to bristol or durham... bristol may just win out of these two..
    however social life in leeds is said to be AMAZING!!! and if u want the uni experience i would say leeds would be first choice.. ooh i dunno its a dilemma. i would personally look at job prospects but thats jus the person i am... also, i think no matter where u go u end up loving it.. everytings wat u make it!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    heya
    it really does depend wat ur looking to get after u finish uni....i think job prospects are best if u go to bristol or durham... bristol may just win out of these two..
    however social life in leeds is said to be AMAZING!!! and if u want the uni experience i would say leeds would be first choice.. ooh i dunno its a dilemma. i would personally look at job prospects but thats jus the person i am... also, i think no matter where u go u end up loving it.. everytings wat u make it!
    xxx
    u going to do eco at UCL?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.