The Student Room Group

Doing two MSc course in the same field. How odd is it ?

Hi guys,
so I've just finished my MSc in maths. I wanted to do a phd, but marks weren't so good due to the fact that I lacked quite a few prerequisites for some of the modules I've taken.
I thought I may go for another MSc (still in maths) in another uni and try to get better marks.

Do you think this would be odd to basically do two 12-months MSc in the same field ? would this be regarded as something bad when I'll be applying for a phd starting Autumn 2011 ? :o:

Any advice would be appreciated :yep:
Thanks !
Reply 1
Why? No-one really cares about marks in an MSc as long as you pass, as far as I know. Total waste of money. Move on to that PhD.
Reply 2
Ice_Queen
Why? No-one really cares about marks in an MSc as long as you pass, as far as I know. Total waste of money. Move on to that PhD.

Hi :smile:
well here is the thing, when I was doing my MSc this year I applied to a couple of phds but didn't get in (because of the marks).
Now that I've finished I'm still planing to apply for other phds, but I think it may be as hard, whereas if I can improve the marks in another MSc than I'll have better chances to get in when applying ...
does this make sence ?
Reply 3
hitheuk
well here is the thing, when I was doing my MSc this year I applied to a couple of phds but didn't get in (because of the marks).
Now that I've finished I'm still planing to apply for other phds, but I think it may be as hard, whereas if I can improve the marks in another MSc than I'll have better chances to get in when applying ...
does this make sence ?

Yes, it makes sense. But two things you should consider: how close were you to failing the master and which universities did you apply to for the PhD? If the universities you applied to were prestigious then you can somewhat understand their rejection, but if they were not then you might consider that they were sceptical about your chances of finishing the PhD in principle. I can understand your frustration with respect to your first master, but do you think you can realistically improve on the second one? Maybe a MPhil would be better in order to show your suitability for research; they might allow you to switch to a PhD too.
Reply 4
hitheuk
does this make sence ?

Why did you fail? Are you sure a PhD is the route for you?

As stated above, it could be because of the universities, any number of reasons.

Maybe try getting some work experience and then reapplying?
Reply 5
Hi there,
thanks for this.

evantej
Yes, it makes sense. But two things you should consider: how close were you to failing the master and which universities did you apply to for the PhD?

Well I got a 60ish (small one)
and yeah I applied to some prestigious unis.

evantej

I can understand your frustration with respect to your first master, but do you think you can realistically improve on the second one?

I think I can improve the marks, ... 70ish? possibly 80ish but I'm not sure since I'll be going to a different uni without knowing how tough it is if compared with the first one (I think they are roughly similar in maths)

So do you reckon that if I improve marks it won't seem too weird to have two Msc in a row (about the same field) ?
Reply 6
hitheuk
So do you reckon that if I improve marks it won't seem too weird to have two Msc in a row (about the same field) ?

It does look a bit odd.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
shiny
It does look a bit odd.

hmm ... yeah that's what I was afraid of ...
Reply 8
hitheuk
hmm ... yeah that's what I was afraid of ...

The first question any PhD admissions person asks themselves is whether the candidate is capable of getting a PhD at the end of the 3-4 years and two consecutive Masters in the same field would not inspire much confidence in your ability at all.

Furthermore, are you sure it is your marks that is the problem and not your references?
Reply 9
I've got to do an almost identical MSc to one i've already done if i am to pursue the career i really want to do, i'm quite gutted actually as i feel this is not only a complete waste of money but also another year out of my life. Don't get me wrong the first MSc, i really felt i learnt a lot, enjoyed and was overall good experience but to do it all again? if I had the choice i would do something a little different.

I think you need to talk to people who work for admissions, ask them specifically why you didn't get in, how you can improve your application process, i'm sure there are less expensive and time consuming ways to get onto a PHD program
Reply 10
I think shiny is right. Your grades do not look that bad so you should narrow it down to the university/supervisor you wanted and your references/research proposal.
Reply 11
shiny
The first question any PhD admissions person asks themselves is whether the candidate is capable of getting a PhD at the end of the 3-4 years and two consecutive Masters in the same field would not inspire much confidence in your ability at all.

Furthermore, are you sure it is your marks that is the problem and not your references?

Yeah pretty much. That's what I've been told by the ones who rejected me: Low marks for a phd.
Reply 12
DoubleO
I've got to do an almost identical MSc to one i've already done if i am to pursue the career i really want to do, i'm quite gutted actually as i feel this is not only a complete waste of money but also another year out of my life. Don't get me wrong the first MSc, i really felt i learnt a lot, enjoyed and was overall good experience but to do it all again? if I had the choice i would do something a little different.

So are we actually in almost the same situation ? Wouldn't it be bad when they will see that you have two masters almost identical ?

DoubleO

I think you need to talk to people who work for admissions, ask them specifically why you didn't get in, how you can improve your application process, i'm sure there are less expensive and time consuming ways to get onto a PHD program

yeah, i think ... see my previous post.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
evantej
I think shiny is right. Your grades do not look that bad so you should narrow it down to the university/supervisor you wanted and your references/research proposal.

Yeah, that's why I said in my OP that I was still planing to apply for phds right now (regardless the fact that I'll be doing another MSc or no) but the point of my post was : should I do it since lectures will be starting soon ...

Gosh, why do I have to take this decision :unsure:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
hitheuk
Yeah pretty much. That's what I've been told by the ones who rejected me: Low marks for a phd.

Have you asked your referees to give you a no bs assessment of whether you would get a PhD position? And what you might need to do to improve your chances?
Reply 15
hitheuk
So are we actually in almost the same situation ? Wouldn't it be bad when they will see that you have two masters almost identical ?

Not really, i'm doing the MSc again because I need to have an accredited MSc in occupational psychology for my career. My first MSc was from an accredited program it wasn't accredited because I did a combined honours psychology (you need a full psychology degree to be recognised by the BPS, and 4 people from the program myself included weren't). I was told that i would need to do a conversion course on my undergrad course to make my MSc accredited. However the BPS have now told me that i need to do another MSc (one that it accredited) as they don't acknowledge any postgraduate qualifications awarded before the recognition.

Doing the 2nd MSc is to gain charter ship, so only the BPS are going to judge me on having 2 MSc's and it's them whose making me do it again so i'll get them to explain the complete waste of time and money to me, to be honest i probably won't put the first one down onto my cv, i'm currently taking advice from a variety of sources to maybe even not graduate in March like i'm due to, and graduate in a few years time instead (with full accreditation) without having to do anymore exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending