York Law Unconditional.

Now, I know I'm off to uni :wink:

Did you have an interview for York?

and when did you receive your offer?
Reply 261
Original post by h.marie-xo
Did you have an interview for York?

and when did you receive your offer?

I did have an interview on the 10th. They told me it would be 6-8 weeks before I knew how it went, but I found out today at 5pm.

I assume you're applying too then?
Reply 262
hi

not done lnat yet - got it in december but applied at beginning of november for manchester and leeds who dont use the lnat - has anyone got offers from them yet? if so, what were ur gcse grades/predictions etc?!:smile:
Reply 263
Original post by 04brayp

Original post by 04brayp
Got offers from Leeds and Exeter, both want 3A's. I also got asked to send two passport sized pictures to Oxford, whcih I guess is a good sign. Sooo happy! Good luck to everyone :smile:

well done on LEEDS!! what did u get in gcses? did u declare as results and what are predictions? also when did u apply?
Reply 264
I've got a manchester offer (AAA) and an Exeter offer (AAB) so far :smile:
Original post by Mann18
I did have an interview on the 10th. They told me it would be 6-8 weeks before I knew how it went, but I found out today at 5pm.

I assume you're applying too then?

Yes I am :smile: for deferred entry though.
I'm in love with the Law course there so I'd definitely have it as my firm if i get a place.

I know this a bit cheeky, but what was your interview like? When I went to visit the students said that they don't read your personal statement before your interview so you can make use of it.. but is that true?

thank you and well done on the offer!
Unconditional from York. =]
Reply 267
Original post by h.marie-xo
Yes I am :smile: for deferred entry though.
I'm in love with the Law course there so I'd definitely have it as my firm if i get a place.

I know this a bit cheeky, but what was your interview like? When I went to visit the students said that they don't read your personal statement before your interview so you can make use of it.. but is that true?

thank you and well done on the offer!

The Law course sounds really good, the only problem I have with it is the "personal development" portfolio that makes up 40% of your total grade... But I guess it'll keep you on track and sort of "encourage" you to learn actively all the time.

I'll tell you what I assume they wouldn't be annoyed about me telling you. You are interviewed by one or two people (I had two) the first thing they say is "This will not be an interactive interview, you must make sure you discuss all your points fully." I didn't do this on some of the questions, so they made it interactive :wink: (I should add, they didn't turn it into a conversation, they just pressed me to elaborate on some points, and one of the interviewers tried to make a cryptic comment that I just laughed at, they laughed though thankfully, so it wasn't awful.) It wasn't at all scary, I normally get nervous in those sort of situations, but they made it really calm, they ask you a start up question that is not assessed, then launch into the real questions. They tell you what the questions are trying to find, so try to fufil their criteria. If you have two people like I did, one will ask the knowledge based questions, the other will ask the "personality test" questions. Oddly, this made it easier I think. Don't worry about answering the questions wrongly, after the interview I thought "Oh, I probably should have added..." but it seems that as long as you come across as being friendly, not really arrogant and interested in what the "firms" can offer you, you should be fine.

The people interviewing you make a point of not looking at your personal statement so they don't get preconceptions about you. So, I would assume, if you make it to interview, your personal statement is fine. They give you an overall interview score (they don't tell you it, but you can email them and find out what it is for reasons I'll outline later.) I suppose you could make use of things you've said in your personal statement, I didn't, I just answered spontaneously, I wouldn't think you could say much about it anyway, I suppose you could bring in things you've done, but apart from that, not much I don't think.

They apparently get about 700 applicants, interview 500, and then 350 or so get offers. They also said they make sure they have around 10-15 places to give to people who just miss their offer (by 2 grades in some cases) which is AAA with no constraints about the subjects (in other words, they accept General Studies and Critical Thinking.) They offer places to people who have missed their offer on a competitive basis based on interview score, which you can find out like I said.

That's basically a short (or at least shorter) summary of the interview process and information that they give you at interview. I know they're not lying about the missing your offer by 2 grades as I know a girl who got ABBB and was still accepted, so it does happen, and I think really, after this year, it won't be as "easy" to get in as it is now. They expect to be "very high" in the league tables, so that will draw in applications, and the system they have apparently is a real help when applying for training contracts and the like as you'll have done most of the things they ask of you countless times before.

Sorry for the length, I got carried away :colondollar: If you want to know anything else, just ask :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by EverLearningFool
Unconditional from York. =]

Me too. Well played madam :top2:

Is York your last choice?
Original post by Mann18
Me too. Well played madam :top2:

Is York your last choice?

Nope. Top at the moment. =]

Congratulations. What about you? Where does it rank?
Reply 270
Original post by EverLearningFool
Nope. Top at the moment. =]

Congratulations. What about you? Where does it rank?

Well it's my only reply so it's top.

Before I actually visited, it was my last choice, but after visiting, I really really like it (and Goodricke College is awesome, so I'd hope to get in there.) Now it's my joint third with Nottingham, but I think I'd rather go to York, it's too good.

Well, I might see you there next year then! It would be good to have another "old" person there :p: , I'm slightly concerned about being a year older than most others.
Original post by Mann18
Well it's my only reply so it's top.

Before I actually visited, it was my last choice, but after visiting, I really really like it (and Goodricke College is awesome, so I'd hope to get in there.) Now it's my joint third with Nottingham, but I think I'd rather go to York, it's too good.

Well, I might see you there next year then! It would be good to have another "old" person there :p: , I'm slightly concerned about being a year older than most others.

I love you and all brah, but DISCUSSION THREAD! I get nervous whenever I see this thread update and then slightly disappointed when it's people just discussing.

Quick point about your post though: If every post A-Level candidate was as cool as you then age certainly wouldn't be an issue! Besides, it's only a year's difference so it's not much of a big deal. :yep:
Reply 272
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I love you and all brah, but DISCUSSION THREAD! I get nervous whenever I see this thread update and then slightly disappointed when it's people just discussing.

Quick point about your post though: If every post A-Level candidate was as cool as you then age certainly wouldn't be an issue! Besides, it's only a year's difference so it's not much of a big deal. :yep:

Sorry! My bad, you're right.

And cheers, lmao, I hope not, I was born in September, so by the time York gets going, I'll be 20, which is pretty hilarious.
Original post by Mann18
If it's like last year, they only typically interview borderline and mature candidates for Law.

They do routinely interview Law and a language applicants though to ensure they're at a decent standard of the language they've applied for.

Yeah, I've heard standard Law candidates are only interviewed at UCL if they are borderline. My course is Law with French Law so I'm assuming it's to put my French to the test. They wrote in the e-mail that the majority of the interview will be in French which confirms that I guess, exciting!
Original post by JH-QC
Interview? I didn't know they interviewed for law!

Haha you can breathe! They generally don't interview unless they're unsure about you, or if you're doing law with a language involved. My course is Law with French Law and majority of the interview will be in French, so it's basically to ensure my French is at the level they want!!
Original post by lfcwatcher
hi can i ask when you sent your ucas off, pridicted grades and did you already do the LNAT,
it's just i applied to UCL 2 weeks ago got offers from cardiff and reading and my LNAT is in december

UCAS sent off: 8th October (but I applied for UCL later, on the 11th)
Offers: UEA (32 IB points); Birmingham (36 IB points)
UEA received on the 1st November; Birmingham received on 16th November.
errmm
UCL interview invitation came on the 18th
Predicted: 39 IB points
And I sat the LNAT on the 29th October

and I reckon you'll have to wait until after you've done the LNAT to hear anything back, waiting sucks :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Course: LLB Law
University: Bristol
Offer: Conditional 35 IB points
UCAS sent: 4th November 2010
Offer recieved: 18th November 2010

Course: LLB Law with European Legal Systems
University: UEA
Offer: Conditional 33 IB points
UCAS sent: 4th November 2010
Offer recieved: 12th November 2010

LNAT taken on November 10th and applying to Edinburgh, Exeter and UCL as well but haven't heard anything from those yet :smile: + I'm also an International student
(edited 13 years ago)
University: Warwick
Offer: AAAc

UCAS sent: 12th October 2010
Offer recieved: 19th November 2010
Reply 278
Original post by Doughnuts!!
University: Warwick
Offer: AAAc

UCAS sent: 12th October 2010

:biggrin:
University: Exeter
Offer: AAA

UCAS sent: 1st October 2010

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Only Bristol to hear from now. Right now my firm is Exeter and insurance Reading. However this might change...

Latest