Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyatemyworld)
    People who go to Oxbridge are ugly. They are jealous of us for being superfluously attractive. Well, me at least.
    LOL, I wouldn't go that far, but the way people act on TSR it's as though you really shouldn't expect to get anywhere without an Oxbridge degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    For what? If he meant for law, I don't imagine it's far behind, if at all. Granted, Durham is better as a university in general.
    You do realise that Durham's Law Department is seen as similar in terms of quality as the likes of UCL, Nottingham, Warwick etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    You do realise that Durham's Law Department is seen as similar in terms of quality as the likes of UCL, Nottingham, Warwick etc?
    Would Bristol be included in that list of universities similar to UCL, Nottingham, Warwick, Durham? Just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loxemori)
    Would Bristol be included in that list of universities similar to UCL, Nottingham, Warwick, Durham? Just wondering.
    I would say so, at least traditionally so. However I have heard conversations floating around saying that the Law School at Bristol is slightly slipping in standards. Out of those cited, I would probably place it at the bottom but overall it remains a top university to study Law at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Lawyered.

The CBA is actually quite worrying, and it's being heralded as some sort of victory there "Yay! People have less job security than before!"

I love America, but I think it's years of rampant McCarthyism have made it a place I don't think I could live in.

EDIT: Tried to positively rep you to make up for the negative one, but TSR's system won't let me.
    There is of course the problem that the teaching unions etc. ARE definitely too powerful - it's even harder to fire a teacher in most jurisdictions there than here - but taking away their rights to collectively bargain for pay doesn't even address that problem! I do love a lot of things about the US, but like you I'm not sure it's a place I could live in - a place where 'liberal' is a dirty word, a place where a government would dump a cancer sufferer outside the door of a hospital for being poor but yet spends inordinate amounts of money on trophy defence projects it can't possibly need...it's a country of many beautiful places and many lovely people, but the list of things I can't stand is really very long.

Even just considering legal issues - I can't stand current interpretation of the 2nd amendment and gun laws, and elected judges is, as Blackadder would say, the worst idea in history since Abraham Lincoln said, "I'm sick of kicking around the house all day, let's go take in a show."

& thanks! I really don't know who that was, someone with 2 repping power by the looks of it, so actually not the person I was replying to.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd place it right in the mix.

(Original post by Vinchenko)
    There is of course the problem that the teaching unions etc. ARE definitely too powerful - it's even harder to fire a teacher in most jurisdictions there than here - but taking away their rights to collectively bargain for pay doesn't even address that problem! I do love a lot of things about the US, but like you I'm not sure it's a place I could live in - a place where 'liberal' is a dirty word, a place where a government would dump a cancer sufferer outside the door of a hospital for being poor but yet spends inordinate amounts of money on trophy defence projects it can't possibly need...it's a country of many beautiful places and many lovely people, but the list of things I can't stand is really very long.

Even just considering legal issues - I can't stand current interpretation of the 2nd amendment and gun laws, and elected judges is, as Blackadder would say, the worst idea in history since Abraham Lincoln said, "I'm sick of kicking around the house all day, let's go take in a show."

& thanks! I really don't know who that was, someone with 2 repping power by the looks of it, so actually not the person I was replying to.
    Ah, I actually did not know that about teachers in the US (off to google that then.)
    And with the rest of your post, I agree fully, I can't understand how people can be so nice and friendly, but then seemingly become monstrous when it comes to universal healthcare ect. And the elected judges thing I feel is utterly insane, how people can expect to be tried fairly is beyond me, at least when sentencing comes into the question. If at any point, someone can say "I've put X amount of people to death" and hold that up as an achievement, well, that doesn't bode well for not only the U.S, but humanity in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Literally cannot argue with that. Not sure if I said that, or if you're just making the point, either way, I agree.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships.php

There are a variety on there, look at the "Graduate Assistance Fund Award" in particular.

I'm unsure about how the funding works, I assume you'd be able to stipulate that you wouldn't go if you were unable to get the funding.
    Hmm, handy, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adelaide123)
    All of these universities are "better" that QMUL!
    According to whom? And are you talking about the universities or the law departments?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am well aware of that. And I'm arguing that QMUL's law department is on par with certainly Nottingham and Warwick - I'm undecided on UCL - even if the university itself lags behind.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly up there with the best law schools in the country. Probably on par with Nottingham and Warwick but behind UCL in terms of reputation and possibly a little bit behind Durham as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Yes, I am well aware of that. And I'm arguing that QMUL's law department is on par with certainly Nottingham and Warwick - I'm undecided on UCL - even if the university itself lags behind.
    I think that you're buying into TSR's obsession with QMUL's Law deparment far too much. I could perhaps understand placing it alongside Manchester, Birmingham etc but it just doesn't have the same clout as Durham or UCL.

However, I'll agree to disagree simply because I have been through this all before .

ReputationRep:
    I think that you're buying into TSR's obsession with QMUL's Law deparment far too much. I could perhaps understand placing it alongside Manchester, Birmingham etc but it just doesn't have the same clout as Durham or UCL.

However, I'll agree to disagree simply because I have been through this all before .
    Actually, I hadn't heard about this QMUL vs the world debate until someone mentioned it to me on this thread a couple of days ago. I've been a large supporter of QMUL ever since I started looking into universities and until someone can show me that it only produces average law students, then I shall continue to be. I think its reputation is dampened by the fact that QMUL, as a whole, is probably on par with not-so-great universities. For me though, the law department really stands out.

Nevertheless, I'm also happy to agree to disagree.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Basically, all Oxbridge offer holder are prestige-whores that don't have lives. Also, we like to argue needlessly as it's an opportunity to exercise our superior debating skillz.

/QM argument

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Basically, all Oxbridge offer holder are prestige-whores that don't have lives. Also, we like to argue needlessly as it's an opportunity to exercise our superior debating skillz.

/QM argument

:ahee:
    Er, yes. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for covering for Durham. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinchenko)

Someone's been reading way too much NYT and watching way too much CNN.

ReputationRep:
    What bracket would you guys put UEA in?

ReputationRep:
    Just recieved an offer from Warwick For M100 (law)

rejected from LSE and UCL still waiting on Kings and Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Someone's been reading way too much NYT and watching way too much CNN.
    In what way is my taking an interest in events the other side of the Atlantic that are actually fairly important a BAD thing?? I get my news from The Times/BBC/The Economist anyway; CNN presenters have teeth so bright I'd need sunglasses to watch, & skins so orange I seriously worry for their radiological health...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High As A Kite)
    What bracket would you guys put UEA in?
    For law or in general? As a place, I quite liked it when I visited, I thought it felt pretty nice. On the other hand, in terms of employability for city firms/the bar, it's quite a long way down there - the law school is arguably not HUGELY respected, and however nice the people I met there were there's no denying that academically it is quite a big step down from a lot of other places. That's not to say that you couldn't do well as a lawyer from there, and that there's not other places that are worse, but it really isn't by any definition one of the better law schools, I think The Times had it about 30th out of 90 ish in terms of law schools. Unless you're doing Law with American Law there, which is a unique and very small course, it really probably isn't one of the best for employment in most city firms. That all said, it's not a bad place, it's still (just) in about the top third, so it depends! Ask a more specific question for a more specific answer

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.