Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufochaffeuress)
    Rejection from St Hilda's! Outrage! The reason was law was too competitive this year! If that is the case, interview all of them to filter the best candidates! I've got 9A*s, 6As at GCSEs and predicted A-level grades of 5A*s and 5As having already achieved an A* in maths. Really gutted and Ive written a letter of protest which would inevitably be ignored.

You did 15 gcses and 10 AS-levels? Aswell as doing your maths early? Isn't that a little OTT? :confused:

Do you have any extra-curriculurs?

ReputationRep:
    Course: LLB Law
    University: UEA
    Offer: AAB

UCAS Application sent: 18th November
    Offer Received: 29th November

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slacker101)
    You did 15 gcses and 10 AS-levels? Aswell as doing your maths early? Isn't that a little OTT? :confused:

Do you have any extra-curriculurs?
    No it isn't. I enjoy knowledge and believe that different subjects should have equal preference, and I have many extra-curricular activities from being in the British Youth Council to doing piano performance advanced diplomas. I am really devastated when I was rejected from Oxford. I am from a school that is very low in the league tables and my parents are working class. I've worked so hard to achieve a good set of grades and become a well-rounded person. A gap year is coming. I'm going to do medicine instead of law. Succeeding at law these days is too skewed to the upper middle class families and the government at the moment is greatly increasing the social gap. I give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly-sophia-ox)
    in exactly the same position (Oxford - Wadham) two of my friends have interviews, one rejection and me left with nothing :/ getting a bit impatient now!!
    I've applied to Wadham too, for Law. Haven't heard yet either, should probably arrive tomorrow. Kinda dragging...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    What did you say in your personal statement? There must be something.

I suppose it wouldn't help if I told you that a friend of mine got an interview for PPE at Oriel with AABBC at AS .
    Look right. I am absolutely peed off about it. St Hildas took into no account of my school and family background which would not have encouraged me to apply for law if it wasn't for extra support and motivation. What they did was rubbed their arses in my face and said "Law is very competitive this year." What a stupid excuse!? I wouldn't mind if I got rejected after an interview but before it is just absurd. I've written a letter of complaint but those woosies in St Hilda's are just too busy picking their noses at the moment. I was crying alot yesterday and today. INJUSTICE!

P.S I realise people got interviews with lower grades. Do you see my outrage? My personal statement should be fine and besides, if the content wasn't enough, then they should relate that to my background for God's sake! My mother's a waitress, my dad's a chef and no one from my family has attended university before so therefore to get a legal work placement was solely done by myself. Anyways, I feel like taking a gap year and doing medicine after. Science is fundamentally and always would be more important.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't. I enjoy knowledge and believe that different subjects should have equal preference, and I have many extra-curricular activities from being in the British Youth Council to doing piano performance advanced diplomas. I am really devastated when I was rejected from Oxford. I am from a school that is very low in the league tables and my parents are working class. I've worked so hard to achieve a good set of grades and become a well-rounded person. A gap year is coming. I'm going to do medicine instead of law. Succeeding at law these days is too skewed to the upper middle class families and the government at the moment is greatly increasing the social gap. I give up.
    Somehow I don't think that you would be saying that had you been given an interview :rolleyes:.

For what it's worth, I can't see why you didn't get one.

EDIT: Sorry, I have just seen your above post. I can understand why you're outraged. Especially with such a generic excuse given to you.

I'm not familiar with the college though so I can't make a comment on them.

There must be SOME reason though. Can you not think of anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    Perhaps it was a rejection based on your personal statement?
    I thought about that but then if there are really a bunch of clever cloggs at Oxford, then they would notice that I come from a disadvantaged background. Law in many cases is seen as an elite course therefore they really should have considered this. Being at a certain school exposes you to certain extra-curricular activities that a normal school won't find etc. I also don't believe that it's down to my personal statement because the one I have submitted is very similar to the one that got me a place at their UNIQ Law Summer School. They're just playing mindgames. I'm going to give them a good shout tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Somehow I don't think that you would be saying that had you been given an interview :rolleyes:.

For what it's worth, I can't see why you didn't get one.

EDIT: Sorry, I have just seen your above post. I can understand why you're outraged. Especially with such a generic excuse given to you.

I'm not familiar with the college though so I can't make a comment on them.

There must be SOME reason though. Can you not think of anything?
    Yeah. Absolutely, because after attending their UNIQ Summer School for law this year, I believed that Oxford University is actually reaching out to the disadvantaged backgrounds. However, the people there had parents who were doctors so I question their intentions. I am absolutely frustrated at the university at the moment. They say that they are giving personal feedback in January. Wished I applied to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Absolutely, because after attending their UNIQ Summer School for law this year, I believed that Oxford University is actually reaching out to the disadvantaged backgrounds. However, the people there had parents who were doctors so I question their intentions. I am absolutely frustrated at the university at the moment. They say that they are giving personal feedback in January. Wished I applied to Cambridge.
    I'm just going to throw this out there, if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, you can send it right on back.

You're lying.

EDIT: Actually, the part about personal feedback makes me think otherwise. I got that last year. FYI, I didn't get any, even after asking several times.

ReputationRep:
    Warwich (M108) Law with Study Abroad in English
    Conditional Offer: IB 38 points
    UCAS sent: 14th Oct

ahhh i'm soooo happy;D

ReputationRep:
    Look right. I am absolutely peed off about it. St Hildas took into no account of my school and family background which would not have encouraged me to apply for law if it wasn't for extra support and motivation. What they did was rubbed their arses in my face and said "Law is very competitive this year." What a stupid excuse!? I wouldn't mind if I got rejected after an interview but before it is just absurd. I've written a letter of complaint but those woosies in St Hilda's are just too busy picking their noses at the moment. I was crying alot yesterday and today. INJUSTICE!

P.S I realise people got interviews with lower grades. Do you see my outrage? My personal statement should be fine and besides, if the content wasn't enough, then they should relate that to my background for God's sake! My mother's a waitress, my dad's a chef and no one from my family has attended university before so therefore to get a legal work placement was solely done by myself. Anyways, I feel like taking a gap year and doing medicine after. Science is fundamentally and always would be more important.
    You're not the only one. Loads of people in disadvantaged situations do really well (ok, granted you've done more ASs, but they only need 3), and don't get considered. I applied to Oxford for law and was rejected, got ABBB last year (predicted A*AA) which I admit is a bit crap, but my school has been in special measures for most of my education and none of my family have been to universtiy.
    I know it's a fob-off 'it's competitive' etc (I've been told the same). My head of year is ringing them to see if he can get a more personal reason.
    Everyone that applies there has a fantastic personal statement and reference. Do you think it might have been your LNAT? I'm thinking it might have been that for me, although I haven't been rejected yet from UCL.
    I completely understand, but seriously Oxford isn't the only good university. You've just got to accept it's their loss, and now some other university is going to benefit from having you as a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I'm just going to throw this out there, if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, you can send it right on back.

You're lying.

EDIT: Actually, the part about personal feedback makes me think otherwise. I got that last year. FYI, I didn't get any, even after asking several times.
    I am NOT lying. I have no time for people who just presume things that don't exist. Don't do that.

ReputationRep:
    I am NOT lying. I have no time for people who just presume things that don't exist. Don't do that.
    I was unaware that my retraction of my intial statement was invisible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viola146)
    You're not the only one. Loads of people in disadvantaged situations do really well (ok, granted you've done more ASs, but they only need 3), and don't get considered. I applied to Oxford for law and was rejected, got ABBB last year (predicted A*AA) which I admit is a bit crap, but my school has been in special measures for most of my education and none of my family have been to universtiy.
    I know it's a fob-off 'it's competitive' etc (I've been told the same). My head of year is ringing them to see if he can get a more personal reason.
    Everyone that applies there has a fantastic personal statement and reference. Do you think it might have been your LNAT? I'm thinking it might have been that for me, although I haven't been rejected yet from UCL.
    I completely understand, but seriously Oxford isn't the only good university. You've just got to accept it's their loss, and now some other university is going to benefit from having you as a student.
    Yes. I cried for a day but realised it isn't the end of the world after all. I think it could have been my reference and the personal statement that I've submitted is very similar to the one that got me the place at their UNIQ Summer School for law. And LNAT, I thought it went rather well but again, they've emphasised it was only one of the factors that they consider. Never mind and I hope UCL gives an offer, otherwise I will be taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliecly)
    Warwich (M108) Law with Study Abroad in English
    Conditional Offer: IB 38 points
    UCAS sent: 14th Oct

ahhh i'm soooo happy;D
    I have the EXACT same acceptance. exact program, conditional offer, and even ucas send date!
    CONGRATS!!!
    I was already depressed because I got rejected by UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I was unaware that my retraction of my intial statement was invisible.
    Yes, because to me, it's bs. No need to throw fancy language - it's not some kind of logical game over here.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because to me, it's bs. No need to throw fancy language - it's not some kind of logical game over here.
    Fancy language?

You want to study Law and you have a problem with "fancy language?"

That sounded harsh. I apologise. I'm sure you'll do well elsewhere if you exist. Also, UCL is a good uni, but I assume your 3rd choice isn't terrible.

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy to blame this or that, but I'm sure that they didn't reject you on the grounds of your background.

Perhaps Cambridge might have been better, yes. But only because they interview most students, not because it's easier.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about that but then if there are really a bunch of clever cloggs at Oxford, then they would notice that I come from a disadvantaged background. Law in many cases is seen as an elite course therefore they really should have considered this. Being at a certain school exposes you to certain extra-curricular activities that a normal school won't find etc. I also don't believe that it's down to my personal statement because the one I have submitted is very similar to the one that got me a place at their UNIQ Law Summer School. They're just playing mindgames. I'm going to give them a good shout tomorrow.
    Here are some reasons:
    1. Personal statement might not have portrayed necessary interest. I can tell through your attitude you aren't passionate about law. You seem pretty quick to dismiss law and willing to replace it with medicine. If I was rejected from all of my picks, I'd say "okay, that's life" and re-apply for law the following year.
    2. LNAT scores
    3. What were your AS subjects? Were they legitimate subjects? Or media studies, etc?
    4. Maybe taking so many different subjects showed the admissions tutor you had not developed an interest in a subject yet. Someone who takes f math, maths, physics, chemistry, and biology is clearly interested in science. Someone who's taking 10 different subjects, has no defined interests.
    5. It is a competitive course, rejections happen. They can't let everybody in.

ReputationRep:
    Or LSE. They love GCSE/A Level nerds who accumulate loads of pointless qualifications there.

On another note: how are the Oxbridge people preparing for the interviews?

I haven't done anything yet and I'm getting worried the plan of dazzling them with my amazing personality won't be enough.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.