Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mann18)
    FYI, Manchester Law was in Extra last year.
    It's my last choice but I felt special getting an offer a week after sending my UCAS off. 8 applicants per place, my arse! :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    Should this make me happy I have QMUL not Manchester?
    I was more trying to convey the idea that they might be in again if you decided you didn't want to go anywhere but Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    It's my last choice but I felt special getting an offer a week after sending my UCAS off. 8 applicants per place, my arse! :hmmm:
    Remember, they might have 8 applicants per place, but they don't say how many offers they actually make.

I know a few people who were rejected by them last year, as they didn't have A's at GCSE in Maths, so it really does pay to check all the entry requirements beforehand.

I assume they make quite a few offers though, people like yourself get into places they'd rather go and reject them.

ReputationRep:
    I remember you from the Law Conference! And I have you on FB. Which college did you end up going for?

Do you?! Inbox me on fb or something so i know who you are! Small world
    I ended up going for Corpus Christi in the end... not that it matters coz my interview went terribly so i'm awaiting my rejection I see you applied to Catz! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    I do have an offer there, but it seems you are a stronger applicant than I which is why I was asking :P What do you make of it anyway? I have an offer there, 2 rejections from UCL and lse, and inevitable Cambridge rejection in a few days, and waiting on whats becoming an ever more likely rejection from Warwick.

You seem to know know your stuff, so if you don't mind me asking, what do you make of Queen Mary vs Warwick, and both of those vs Manchester ( I know its not a choice but i live there and starting to wish I'd applied Manchester)

thanks!
    Warwick vs. QMUL? Hands down Warwick. But this is just my opinion.
    Warrants for my reasoning (and they are very TSResque reasons):
    -While QMUL is a solid law school, it hasn't historically had a consistent reputation. Warwick has been in the top 10 for much longer. QMUL only recently broke through the T15. Obviously this bullet point is only relevant if you care about rankings.
    -Job opportunities. While they both would probably give you an equal chance. I think Warwick probably has the extra edge--even if the only reason is that all 5 of the MC actively recruit from Warwick vs. 4/5.
    -Do a read through of firm profiles. Either MC or silver....a ton of Warwick grads. You have to really search for the QMUL grads. This is not to say they don't exist, but the fact that the firms are already saturated with Warwick grads makes networking 10x easier.
    -I'd rather bank the cash I'd be spending in London.

Personally I would rank it Warwick->Manchester->QMUL.

If you already have Warwick, not worth the hassle of going through clearing to get a lesser uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    Should this make me happy I have QMUL not Manchester?

Remember, they might have 8 applicants per place, but they don't say how many offers they actually make.

I know a few people who were rejected by them last year, as they didn't have A's at GCSE in Maths, so it really does pay to check all the entry requirements beforehand.

I assume they make quite a few offers though, people like yourself get into places they'd rather go and reject them.

I agree w/ my broski mann on this one. Just bc a uni goes through clearing doesn't bring the rep down. Admissions is a statistical nightmare. There are so many different factors to calculate. Certainly doesn't bring the rep of a uni down since its not like they are dipping in standards (i.e opening an AAA uni to ABB.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    I agree w/ my broski mann on this one. Just bc a uni goes through clearing doesn't bring the rep down. Admissions is a statistical nightmare. There are so many different factors to calculate. Certainly doesn't bring the rep of a uni down since its not like they are dipping in standards (i.e opening an AAA uni to ABB.)
    Extra isn't the same as clearing (KCL and LSE graced Extra briefly last year, but not Clearing.)

But your point stands, in fact, a uni being in Clearing means they rejected people who didn't meet their offers, so they're trying not to have their reputation "dragged down." Very few AAA courses are in Clearing each year (I think only Lancaster Law was last year?)

On a more personal note, have you still got your sights set on Univ, Durham, or would you go to LSE if they offered you a place?

ReputationRep:
    Extra isn't the same as clearing (KCL and LSE graced Extra briefly last year, but not Clearing.)

But your point stands, in fact, a uni being in Clearing means they rejected people who didn't meet their offers, so they're trying not to have their reputation "dragged down." Very few AAA courses are in Clearing each year (I think only Lancaster Law was last year?)

On a more personal note, have you still got your sights set on Univ, Durham, or would you go to LSE if they offered you a place?
    Meant extra. Got that mixed up.

Leaning pretty heavily to Durham. I'd probably wait a week if I got an offer from LSE just to make sure...

ReputationRep:
    Not been on this thread for some time

(Original post by dog24)
    Haha I've been thinking this about looads of people, like a girl at cam interview already had lse offer, and loads of people on Cambridge thread have offers to top unis like ucl, all I have is queen mary Why can't someone give me their offer if they get Cam!!

:P
    I have no offers.
    Feel better?

Congrats on Ox Mann.
    Adam, wait for LSE, you're in no rush. May as well have all the options open you can.
    :wavingtheflag:

ReputationRep:
    Meant extra. Got that mixed up.

Leaning pretty heavily to Durham. I'd probably wait a week if I got an offer from LSE just to make sure...
    I wouldn't take the decision lightly (I know you won't.)
    LSE is pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Not been on this thread for some time

I have no offers.
    Feel better?

Congrats on Ox Mann.
    Adam, wait for LSE, you're in no rush. May as well have all the options open you can.
    :wavingtheflag:
    Thank you Sir :top2:
    I'm sure you'll get an offer soon, it's an old saying, but no news is good news, especially with UCL

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Sir :top2:
    I'm sure you'll get an offer soon, it's an old saying, but no news is good news, especially with UCL
    I'm not so sure, loads of people have offers for UCL now
    And I'm going to have 1/3 rejections on thursday

Thanks for the support anyway

ReputationRep:
    Not applying to LNAT unis was a smart move! The LNAT sucks balls...

First choice is Cambridge. Hear from them in 3 days. :afraid:
    Lol, I'm a more laid back, care-free type. Well, whether or not that could be debated... I felt it wasn't worth the stress.

Ah, Cambridge. Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take the decision lightly (I know you won't.)
    LSE is pretty awesome.
    The corporate feel plus weak undergrad teaching has put me off. London is great and all, but there is a high likelihood I'll be living in London post-graduation anyway. And I'd rather live in London on a salary, than live in London on a student budget.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional from Durham!

ReputationRep:
    Just got a conditional (AAA) from Durham! So happy! X

ReputationRep:
    The corporate feel plus weak undergrad teaching has put me off. London is great and all, but there is a high likelihood I'll be living in London post-graduation anyway. And I'd rather live in London on a salary, than live in London on a student budget.
    See, this would be my reasoning too.

Good point, I personally would do the same, but I know a lot of people that'll think you're being silly is all :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)
    (Original post by daisy.noble)
    Congrats to both of you! Maybe we'll be seeing each other come October.

See, this would be my reasoning too.

Good point, I personally would do the same, but I know a lot of people that'll think you're being silly is all :p:
    Exactly. I am genuinely interested in law. And I'm not going just for the career prospects. I'm not shooting for the bar, and while I'm sure I'll throw some applications to the MC...my main targets are the American firms with London offices (Jones Day, Skadden, Clearly Gottleib, etc.). Obviously I don't know how I'll perform on the course, but I think a solid/high 2.1 from Durham coupled w/ American citizenship would put me in a pretty good position. For what I want, I don't see how LSE would do anything more for me.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else waiting on Glasgow or Aberdeen? I'm dying to get into one of those but they dont seem to be making offers?
    Or has anyone got an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisy.noble)
    (Original post by steffanie)
    Congratulations to the two of you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.