Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutegirl15)
    stupid silly LNAT TEST which was the reason of the rejection....
    thx for asking though x
    for my gcses i gt : 2 A*, 7 As, 2 Bs
    Hey, did they tell you it was the reason for rejection? Or are you well connected and able to get ur results before everyone else haha!x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
    I don't think that it's because UCL is better, based on world rankings.

I think it's because many people don't apply to Oxbridge because they think it's incredibly competitive. Instead, they choose universities like KCL, UCL, LSE etc. as opposed to Oxbridge, thinking that they'll be easier to get into. However, in reality, they're just increasing the amount of applications universities like UCL get.

So what you end up getting is like say 5 people in your college applying to Oxbridge and 15 people applying to UCL, LSE etc.
    But all the people applying to Cambridge will be of a ridiculously high calibre whereas UCL/LSE/KCL will have a sizeable proportion of applicants that have a slim chance compared to the very best applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone at all heard from Durham yet? I have no fingernails left from all of the waiting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    But all the people applying to Cambridge will be of a ridiculously high calibre whereas UCL/LSE/KCL will have a sizeable proportion of applicants that have a slim chance compared to the very best applicants.
    Not necessarily. I mean I know a girl who applied to Cambridge with ABBB in her AS' and poor GCSE results. You would think that she had a slim chance but she got an offer.

Conversely, the two UCL rejects (AAAA and AAAC for AS) were rejected, having higher grades. Even the two UCL offer holders got higher than ABBB. So on the basis of grades, LSE/UCL/KCL won't necessarily have those of a lesser ability applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malizia)
    I'm also international student. I wanted in cardiff but changed my mind in last minute Congratulations on your offer! and luckiness for your other choices
    My grades are pretty good, I have alsmost in all subjects 10. Maybe it's not enough ...
    What are your other choices?
    Thanks!
    I applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, Nottingham and Cardiff. Cardiff been the only one with offer for now. What about you? Where did you apply?

I think with A in most of your subjects is really good. I'm sure you will get offers soon. What are your grades in specific? I didn't do too well in my AS levels. Managed only aabb while most of my classmates had at least aaab.

Where are you from btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamLClough)
    Has anyone at all heard from Durham yet? I have no fingernails left from all of the waiting...
    Got an offer one week ago! Calmed down on my email checking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    UCL is not harder to get into than Oxbridge. LSE is arguably in some situations, e.g. if you fudged your GCSEs, but weaker candidates who rote learn A levels whilst understanding nothing can get into LSE and UCL, whereas, because of the interviews and tests, they cannot make it into Oxbridge.

More applicants \ne harder to get into. You say people are put off from oxbridge applications by the competitive nature of the process, but do not pick up on the fact that it's the weaker candidates that are put off.

edit: I should point out that when I say weaker candidates, I'm speaking relatively of course. All realistic candidates for that calibre of uni are among the strongest in the cycle.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think that institutions like UCL/LSE/KCL are harder to get into than Oxbridge, but I do think that they are hard to get into because of the number of applicants applying. But hey, that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    When will warwick respond?!

ReputationRep:
    My application has been received by a college, which isn't quite an offer yet, but is certainly a positive sign

Does anyone know how long it takes for UCAS to change after an application has been passed on to a college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsexygyalx)
    When will warwick respond?!
    Are you home or international? My friends got their warwick reply in November. International btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConfusedMan)
    My application has been received by a college, which isn't quite an offer yet, but is certainly a positive sign

Does anyone know how long it takes for UCAS to change after an application has been passed on to a college?
    Mine was about 2 weeks, but it might be less for you because I had the christmas holidays during that as well

ReputationRep:
    I cry everytime I check AES and it still says "your application has not yet been received by a college"

What I would do to get those two words removed.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmiB)
    I cry everytime I check AES and it still says "your application has not yet been received by a college"

What I would do to get those two words removed.....
    That is so true. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat all of the time; I just want to know now. Is patience really that much of a virtue? :/

ReputationRep:
    OHHHH NOOOOOOO. I got an offer from LSE last week and it was my second offer apart from the one from Kent. And seriously it has kinda boosted my confidence. However, KING's has JUST notified that my application is UNSUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well such a nice way to put a rejection.
    This is awful. I mean. Any rejection is awful ((((((((((((((((((((((

Could it be due to my LNAT???? In which case Im facing a rejection from UCL too ((((((((((((((((((.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yilyn)
    Thanks!
    I applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, Nottingham and Cardiff. Cardiff been the only one with offer for now. What about you? Where did you apply?

I think with A in most of your subjects is really good. I'm sure you will get offers soon. What are your grades in specific? I didn't do too well in my AS levels. Managed only aabb while most of my classmates had at least aaab.

Where are you from btw?
    I'M SOOO HAPYYY I've received offer from Manchester!!!
    Leeds unsuccessful
    Southampton unsuccessful
    Manchester offer
    Queen Mary
    Sheffield

I have chosen ten subjects in A and B levels.
    I have grade 9 from Maths, English and History. Grade 10 from other subjects such as Geography, Biology, Physical education, Music, 2 other languages and Informatics.

What are your subjects?
    I have given Toefl IBT condition by university. Maybe do you know which exam is harder Toefl or Ielts?
    I dont know what to do because I prepare only for IELTS exam. :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    Yep. UCAS submitted 14 Oct, Offer on 26 Nov. LNAT was sometime in early October.

I got rejected last week by KCL - no reason stated (probably not the LNAT though!).

So that makes it 3 conditionals and 2 unsuccessful!
    Hey hey I got rejected by KCL too . They didnt really state any reason, just said that the degree of competition is high and that Im among those unsuccessful. Do I have any hope with my LNAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qcdang)
    OHHHH NOOOOOOO. I got an offer from LSE last week and it was my second offer apart from the one from Kent. And seriously it has kinda boosted my confidence. However, KING's has JUST notified that my application is UNSUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well such a nice way to put a rejection.
    This is awful. I mean. Any rejection is awful ((((((((((((((((((((((

Could it be due to my LNAT???? In which case Im facing a rejection from UCL too ((((((((((((((((((.
    LSE > Kings
    Chin up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qcdang)
    Hey hey I got rejected by KCL too . They didnt really state any reason, just said that the degree of competition is high and that Im among those unsuccessful. Do I have any hope with my LNAT?
    heyy are you guys international? sorry about your rejection by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    LSE > Kings
    Chin up
    Thanks! Im comforting myself by saying that . Im aactually more worried about UCL's decision since I like UCL and since UCL is using the LNAT like King's.
    Im telling to myself that King's did not say my rejection was LNAT based so I have hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdude)
    heyy are you guys international? sorry about your rejection by the way!
    yes I am international. The feeling of a rejection is just awful

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.