Turn on thread page Beta

Economics Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Sorry I can't find the exact quote at the moment. However it does say here that they need an essay based subject.
    Alright, thanks. I've never seen myself that Bristol 'explicitly' want FM (althought it is an obvious advantage).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badrkahandaman)
    Economics
    Bath
    A*AA (inc. Econ and Maths) :mad:
    Congrats.... You should feel happy you got an offer so early in the game... Secondly getting A* in Maths is not so difficult. So good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    Alright, thanks. I've never seen myself that Bristol 'explicitly' want FM (althought it is an obvious advantage).
    At the open day they made a big point about how maths was really important and "if you don't like maths don't come here"
    They also said they are unlikely to take you if you haven't taken FM.

ReputationRep:
    A*AA (A2 predictions: maths, eco, physics)

AAAA (AS level: maths, chem, eco, and physics)

Uni choices: Warwick, bath, UCL, Notts and Leicester

Realistic guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shay_5293)

Realistic guys?
    If your school does not cash in AS grades and you haven't disclosed any module grades on your UCAS, your application would be assessed on your Personal Statement and your GCSEs, because 4 out of your 5 universities will be receiving applications with predictions exactly like you as well, if not better. Just ask yourself if you have confidence in your GCSEs and your personal statement.

ReputationRep:

Realistic guys?
    I think very realistic - assuming you have decent number of A* and A at GCSE. If you have high AS UMS - do send them to Unis like Warwick, UCL and Bath to improve your chances further. Good Luck - at the end of the day all you need is one good offer.

ReputationRep:

Realistic guys?
    What are your GCSEs and how strong is your PS? If you have less than 8 or 9 A*s at GCSE or a weak PS (although this is subjective), you might want to take UCL off your list. I think you are underapplying with Leicester as a backup though- somewhere like Birmingham, Soton or York would be a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by housey11)
    I got an offer from Southhampton!!! It's not the best but will do until i hear from warwick oxford and durham!
    Well done I'm also applying there, do you no anyone else with offers from southampton? When did you send your ucas?

ReputationRep:
    I'm submitting my ucas tonight and just want to know if my choices are good? I have 2 questions too. Is leicester a good back up uni for economics, or is it pointless as its in clearing? And which uni is better for econ, eg grad prospects and course, Soton or York? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalResistant)
    If your school does not cash in AS grades and you haven't disclosed any module grades on your UCAS, your application would be assessed on your Personal Statement and your GCSEs, because 4 out of your 5 universities will be receiving applications with predictions exactly like you as well, if not better. Just ask yourself if you have confidence in your GCSEs and your personal statement.
    My college does cash in AS grades! And i think i will put my module grades in on UCAS. Yeah i take your point about 4 universities taking same level of applicants.

gcses were: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA

My PS is good i think. Consise is what ive been told! So assuming its fine should i still continue with the five choices or change one. what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    My college does cash in AS grades! And i think i will put my module grades in on UCAS. Yeah i take your point about 4 universities taking same level of applicants.

gcses were: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA

My PS is good i think. Consise is what ive been told! So assuming its fine should i still continue with the five choices or change one. what do you think?
    I see your applying to leicester as a back up, do you know if its decent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wezzler)
    I see your applying to leicester as a back up, do you know if its decent?
    yeah its a backup choice and its suppose to be pretty good. Economics wise its got a good department although its not brilliant. However the city itself is pretty dead to be honest, not many things are going on there! But the uni itself is really nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Han)
    What are your GCSEs and how strong is your PS? If you have less than 8 or 9 A*s at GCSE or a weak PS (although this is subjective), you might want to take UCL off your list. I think you are underapplying with Leicester as a backup though- somewhere like Birmingham, Soton or York would be a better choice.
    GCSES : A*A*A*A*(maths, english lit, business and RE)
    AAAAAA (physics, chemistry, biology, english, french and history)

AS RESULTS : AAAA (maths, chemistry, physics and eco)

A2 PREDICTIONS : A*AA(maths, physics and eco)

Choices: Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bath and Leicester

There have been rumours circulating about UCL about wanting 8-9 A* GCSEs but I know firstly they look at your predictions in correspondence to your subjects. They prefer all the science and maths subjects, and for this course economics obviously helps. Also although I know my GCSEs aren't as good as some of those out there, I believe its done in order of A2 predictions + reference
    AS grades
    PS
    GCSEs

GCSEs are the last factor in deciding the applicants offer

ReputationRep:

There have been rumours circulating about UCL about wanting 8-9 A* GCSEs but I know firstly they look at your predictions in correspondence to your subjects. They prefer all the science and maths subjects, and for this course economics obviously helps. Also although I know my GCSEs aren't as good as some of those out there, I believe its done in order of A2 predictions + reference
    AS grades
    PS
    GCSEs

Well my friend with 3A*s at GCSE and 4A* prediction at A level was told not to apply. I think it would be a big risk, but if you want to apply, go ahead. I would recommend you apply for somewhere like Durham or Bristol instead, but it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    What does cashing in as levels mean?

ReputationRep:

AS grades
    PS
    GCSEs

Loads of UCL rejections for people with great GCSEs and good predictions have been given out (can check in this thread or over at the UCL board), so I may substitute it for something else, just suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm able to tell, UCL might be a tough university-choice to receive an offer from for a British student. Mostly due to the fact that UCL always claims to be an "international university", so they might want students from a wide range of nations. (American universities, esp. Ivy League like Harvard and Penn also do that) Therefore less offers are given to british students -> higher competition among them.

Btw, I'm an International Applicant and also hope to get into UCL Good luck everybody!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else received a questionnaire from LSE that's just like the Cambridge one asking for UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalResistant)
    Has anyone else received a questionnaire from LSE that's just like the Cambridge one asking for UMS?
    Yeah lol, this sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    Yeah lol, this sucks.
    yep - it's really a problem!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.