Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I knew it was inevitable, but I hate it that Madonna has reached the plateau in her career, where people and media start to forget or entirely ignore her talent and contributions and start asking - who's the next Madonna? *RAGE*

The world is so ageist. All the doors that Gaga is being contributed for knocking down, were first knocked down with a bulldozer by the one and only Madonna. All the things these new upstarts are doing, she did and did it better. I know Madonna's career isn't over by a long shot, what with her still being a huge touring act, clothing lines, and directing movies, but I wish she got more credit for all that she has done. Unfortunately, I know that Madonna won't get the true admiration for her work until she's gone.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I love both

Madonna's been around for a long time now, so she's not gonna be number-one most popular forever. But she still definitely does get talked about a lot these days, certainly more than other singers from the 80s who are now kinda forgotten. You are right about Gaga taking over her "throne", so to speak, but I suppose these things will always happen, people looking for the new "in thing". Comparisons between similar musicians are also forever inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    Lady Gaga is peculiar but so hot :P
    Madonna is a fine ****, but a tad muscley. That is my input

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I really like Madonnas old and new stuff, but I quite like Gaga too...hard choice :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I cant stand Madonna. The woman cant sing. She mimes an awful lot of the time, and when she doesnt, you can really tell. Her voice is pitifully mediocre at best. She's a crap actress as well.

So I'll take Lady Gaga.

ReputationRep:
    Who and who?

ReputationRep:
    I think Madonna gets plenty of recognition, thh :dunno: Concerts, clothes, magazines, CDs, Glee episodes... She's well past the "young and crazy" stage of her career that Gaga's still enjoying, it's only to be expected that Gaga's currently getting more attention.

Anyway, I prefer Lady Gaga. Madonna's kind of scary and I don't really like her music.

ReputationRep:
    Madonna is an icon of an age. Gaga is talented but not in the same league.

It's like comparing The Beatles with Oasis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela_Beth)
    I think Madonna gets plenty of recognition, thh :dunno: Concerts, clothes, magazines, CDs, Glee episodes... She's well past the "young and crazy" stage of her career that Gaga's still enjoying, it's only to be expected that Gaga's currently getting more attention.

Anyway, I prefer Lady Gaga. Madonna's kind of scary and I don't really like her music.
    I agree with you on this. Madonna's still been doing plenty of reasonably recognisable things this past decade, so I don't know how anyone can forget about her just yet. And anyone getting special Glee episodes is bound to be special :awesome:. Though, I do think Madonna does have some really good songs, but I prefer GaGa just a little more right now because she's more modern and kinda different in a way.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Madonna is an icon - everyone knows who she is. I think Madonna will always be the original Queen of Pop. I don't really like her but love Lady Gaga - I think Gaga is just more accessible to us young 'uns now. Also it's common knowledge that Gaga takes her inspiration from Madonna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Madonna is an icon of an age. Gaga is talented but not in the same league.

It's like comparing The Beatles with Oasis.
    Ho ho ho. Sound like Harry and Paul. 'Gaga is talented........but if she came round my house offending my wife and kiddie.....' Madonna is way better than Lady Gaga(wouldn't be hard), npt a huge fan but can admit her talents... the fact Gaga is even being put in the same category as Madonna shows how lamentably untalented and pathetic our current musical generation is, but once again Howard, please don't drag out this cliche about comparing The Beatles to Oasis, Oasis are not Beatles rip-offs, they are a band in their own right that because of over exposure and acting like ***** have not always gotten enough musical credit.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like either but I'm gonna side with the velociraptor.

ReputationRep:
    Both are talentless imo.

They're both just there for publicity, for instance in Madonna's case the adopted child and 'sexy' body for a 50 odd year old. In Gaga's the meat dress/other hideous costumes and all the drug addictions whatever!

ReputationRep:
    How can you even compare them. lady gaga is a nobody. And at least Madonna didn't use some stupid name to get attention.

People are only comparing them because they are both blonde and italian. That's all they have in common.

ReputationRep:
    I miss the old Madonna; not the conservative, politically correct bull**** one. I want her to do anther album like Bedtime Stories.

^^^ Gaga could never. :no:

Marie Antoinette :heart:

ReputationRep:
    As much as I think Lady Gaga is talented and can play the piano very well, it annoys me when people go on about how "orginal" or "unique" she is.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.