Exeter L100 A*AA
    Nottingham L100 AABB
    Warwick L100 A*AAB
    Bristol L101 AAA

Currently I am thinking:

Firm - Bristol
    Insurance - Nottingham

Opinions?? Any different suggestions??
    You got an offer for Economics with a year in europe at Bristol, right? I really hope to get an offer for that course next year (for study in Germany rather than France)! It looks wonderful. And I want an offer for Warwick as well! You've got offers for my top two choices

Can I ask what GCSE/AS-Level grades and A-Level predictions you got?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Booshak)
    I have the offers:

Exeter L100 A*AA
    Nottingham L100 AABB
    Warwick L100 A*AAB
    Bristol L101 AAA

Currently I am thinking:

Firm - Bristol
    Insurance - Nottingham

Opinions?? Any different suggestions??
    Well done on the offers!

If you aren't too bothered about the year abroad then go with Warwick. They are all very good universities for economics but I would rank them Warwick, Bristol = Nottingham then Exeter. If it were me I would firm Warwick and probably insure Nottingham or Bristol, not sure which though!

What were your GCSEs and A-level grades like if you don't mind me asking, also, did you do further maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    You got an offer for Economics with a year in europe at Bristol, right? I really hope to get an offer for that course next year (for study in Germany rather than France)! It looks wonderful. And I want an offer for Warwick as well! You've got offers for my top two choices

Can I ask what GCSE/AS-Level grades and A-Level predictions you got?
    Yeah Economics with Study in Continental Europe! I LOVE this course...being a student abroad will be AWESOME.

GCSE: 9A* 1A
    AS: Spanish A French A Eco A + A* Maths A-level a year early
    A2: predicted A* A* A* A* for Spanish French Eco and Maths (acquired)

Best of luck with your application next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Well done on the offers!

If you aren't too bothered about the year abroad then go with Warwick. They are all very good universities for economics but I would rank them Warwick, Bristol = Nottingham then Exeter. If it were me I would firm Warwick and probably insure Nottingham or Bristol, not sure which though!

What were your GCSEs and A-level grades like if you don't mind me asking, also, did you do further maths?
    Thank you!

Also, note the lack of further maths..I decided I wanted to just do three subjects instead of cramming in 4 so I could enjoy my last year at school, however, in hindsight it may have helped my oxbridge application? And my warwick offer came about a week and a half ago, SO LATE, which I attribute to my lack of further maths....I'm guessing you've applied this year...waiting on Warwick?

Ah, the thing is I LOVE the year abroad! The decider between Warwick and Bristol for me is the city/nightlife...thank you for ranking them that's actually very helpful! There is an open day at Warwick next week BUT its a few days before my Spanish speaking exam and I can't decide whether its worth it....

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Also, note the lack of further maths..I decided I wanted to just do three subjects instead of cramming in 4 so I could enjoy my last year at school, however, in hindsight it may have helped my oxbridge application? And my warwick offer came about a week and a half ago, SO LATE, which I attribute to my lack of further maths....I'm guessing you've applied this year...waiting on Warwick?

Ah, the thing is I LOVE the year abroad! The decider between Warwick and Bristol for me is the city/nightlife...thank you for ranking them that's actually very helpful! There is an open day at Warwick next week BUT its a few days before my Spanish speaking exam and I can't decide whether its worth it....

:confused:
    Do you mind me asking what kind of school you go to?

I personally would go to the open day as it's going to help you decide where you're going to be for the next 3 years, and I'm sure you'll still manage to get the A in your exam.

Also, Warwick seems to have active Erasmus links for its Economics department so you could ask about that. If I were to get an offer from Warwick next year, I'd definitely be firming it as it's got a great reputation as a university, a great campus and hopefully I'll be able to go to Munich with Erasmus.

Well done on the great offers and grades though! I'm sure you'll have the time of your life wherever you go...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow well done that's fantastic! And reassuring to see someone get an offer for economics without further maths (I also don't have it). I'm going to be applying next year though Good luck with university and I'm sure you'll do fantastically wherever you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    Do you mind me asking what kind of school you go to?

I personally would go to the open day as it's going to help you decide where you're going to be for the next 3 years, and I'm sure you'll still manage to get the A in your exam.

Also, Warwick seems to have active Erasmus links for its Economics department so you could ask about that. If I were to get an offer from Warwick next year, I'd definitely be firming it as it's got a great reputation as a university, a great campus and hopefully I'll be able to go to Munich with Erasmus.

Well done on the great offers and grades though! I'm sure you'll have the time of your life wherever you go...
    No not at all, I go to a private school. How about you? Yeah I think you're probably right about the open day...worth a look round at least! Then I'll know i've made the right decision for sure. Warwick is such a good uni, was really chuffed to get the offer! I can go to Madrid for Erasmus which is ideally where I'll go but i think Bristol appeals more. Thank you! Good luck with your application next year!

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done that's fantastic! And reassuring to see someone get an offer for economics without further maths (I also don't have it). I'm going to be applying next year though Good luck with university and I'm sure you'll do fantastically wherever you go!
    Thank you! I think that a cracking personal statement showing real commitment to the subject can make up for a lack of further maths, so no need to worry! Good luck for next year!

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, I go to a private school. How about you? Yeah I think you're probably right about the open day...worth a look round at least! Then I'll know i've made the right decision for sure. Warwick is such a good uni, was really chuffed to get the offer! I can go to Madrid for Erasmus which is ideally where I'll go but i think Bristol appeals more. Thank you! Good luck with your application next year!
    See you in Brizzle What is your offer? Back up uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    See you in Brizzle What is your offer? Back up uni?
    Haha, AAA including Eco and Maths. Back up Nottingham...yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, AAA including Eco and Maths. Back up Nottingham...yourself?
    A*AA Bristol AAB Surrey

ReputationRep:
    Would you accept Queen Mary University of London or University of Surrey?

QM Offer: 36 ib points with 5 in math hl, 5 in english hl
    Surrey Offer: 35 points, with 6 in math hl

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shaneel)
    Would you accept Queen Mary University of London or University of Surrey?

QM Offer: 36 ib points with 5 in math hl, 5 in english hl
    Surrey Offer: 35 points, with 6 in math hl

Thanks
    That is quite tricky, Surrey is probably better for economics but I'd just choose on where you want to spend the next three years! It's not like one of them will give you a significant advantage over the other

ReputationRep:
    It was a big risk you took, luckily it paid off though :P Would you do the same again or play it more safe? (I'm asking because I'm choosing between doing what you did and playing it safe)
    I would probably do almost the exact same thing, because i knew i needed a more challenging offer to push me to so work (as i have an A in maths already and need around 70% in economics and chemistry modules to get As overall).

The two things I would change, is I probably would have applied to Sheffield instead of Bath, and possibly done maths and economics instead, because of the career I want after university.

But at the moment I would say concentrate on getting really high ums in your AS's as that will allow you to apply anywhere you want in the autumn.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lemonade789)
    I would probably do almost the exact same thing, because i knew i needed a more challenging offer to push me to so work (as i have an A in maths already and need around 70% in economics and chemistry modules to get As overall).

The two things I would change, is I probably would have applied to Sheffield instead of Bath, and possibly done maths and economics instead, because of the career I want after university.

But at the moment I would say concentrate on getting really high ums in your AS's as that will allow you to apply anywhere you want in the autumn.
    Thanks for the advice Why not Bath? What career are you planning on?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice Why not Bath? What career are you planning on?
    I feel incredibly bitter towards bath as friends of mine got offers with worse results at AS and GCSE than me, so the way i feel about bath has no other reasoning Also i really liked Sheffield and its a great uni, so probably would have had it as a safety otherwise.

I want to go into trading as i did an internship in the summer within that sector and really enjoyed it, but they look for people with more mathematical backgrounds (so engineers, comp science and maths degrees basically), but i reckon its still do-able with an economics degree.

Where are you thinking of applying next year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lemonade789)
    I feel incredibly bitter towards bath as friends of mine got offers with worse results at AS and GCSE than me, so the way i feel about bath has no other reasoning Also i really liked Sheffield and its a great uni, so probably would have had it as a safety otherwise.

I want to go into trading as i did an internship in the summer within that sector and really enjoyed it, but they look for people with more mathematical backgrounds (so engineers, comp science and maths degrees basically), but i reckon its still do-able with an economics degree.

Where are you thinking of applying next year?
    Wow how the hell did you get an internship in trading?! :L That's the sort of thing I want to go into, I knew they liked mathematical degrees but I enjoy economics more so it's a bit of a trade-off :P That's very strange they did that, more places seem to be giving their offers out strategically instead of the best applicants... weird

I'm thinking of Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham then 2 more from LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Southampton. Not sure whether or not I should play it safe with southampton, I want a gap year anyway so I might just risk it, Nottingham is a FAIRLY safe choice I hope....

ReputationRep:
    Wow how the hell did you get an internship in trading?! :L That's the sort of thing I want to go into, I knew they liked mathematical degrees but I enjoy economics more so it's a bit of a trade-off :P That's very strange they did that, more places seem to be giving their offers out strategically instead of the best applicants... weird

I'm thinking of Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham then 2 more from LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Southampton. Not sure whether or not I should play it safe with southampton, I want a gap year anyway so I might just risk it, Nottingham is a FAIRLY safe choice I hope....
    I got the internship through a friend, who had an internship himself but didn't want to work alone! the work i did was really basic but i got to sit in on a couple of meetings, which were really interesting!

Have you visited the unis yet? because a huge decider for me was actually what the universities were like.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.