bath
    bristol
    leeds
    surrey

to study Economics L100

i got 5As at AS
    and gcse: 3A* 5A 4B 2C

im really worried about reply from warwick..was i aiming too highh
    I didn't bother applying to Warwick and I've got 9A*'s 3A's at GCSE, 5A's at AS and predicted 3A*1A. I do just find it quite rediculous how people with standard GCSE's and good A levels think that they can apply to the 5 top unis for economics (one of the most over-subscribed courses) and simply expect that they'll get at least one offer. It doesn't work like that, as they have similar standards the likelihood is that all of them will give you offers or none of them will. Sorry I know you haven't done this but I couple of guys on this site have done exactly this and I felt like having a rant. Btw I applied to Cambridge (just to have a go and see) Nottingham, St Andrews, Durham and Lancaster. Overall I think your Unis are good and you might as well give Warwick a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frodalod)
    I didn't bother applying to Warwick and I've got 9A*'s 3A's at GCSE, 5A's at AS and predicted 3A*1A. I do just find it quite rediculous how people with standard GCSE's and good A levels think that they can apply to the 5 top unis for economics (one of the most over-subscribed courses) and simply expect that they'll get at least one offer. It doesn't work like that, as they have similar standards the likelihood is that all of them will give you offers or none of them will. Sorry I know you haven't done this but I couple of guys on this site have done exactly this and I felt like having a rant. Btw I applied to Cambridge (just to have a go and see) Nottingham, St Andrews, Durham and Lancaster. Overall I think your Unis are good and you might as well give Warwick a try.
    yes i know warwick was wayy high..but never know i could get lucky, fingers crossed

and i hope i get either leeds or bath if not warwick

ReputationRep:
    your loss then.
    bit of stupid post tbh, as if people weren't nervous enough

ReputationRep:
    I take it you are referring to me?
    Nothing, NOTHING, prepares you a rejection. I was born ambitious and I can't help it. It brings more negatives than positives - as you can probably see I'm upset.
    I knew the potential consequences, one/two/three/four rejections were indeed a possibility.
    It's a pity you did not take up higher universities - your GCSE's were amongst the best in the country - better than my 5A*s and 5A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shubham_ag)
    Don't worry. You''ll definitely get one from Bristol!!
    Wish there was some way to transfer offers. I'd give you mine then coz I got one from UCL !!
    I would so take you up on that offer.
    Sadly it's not possible and I will have to dream on. Haha

But you should take up UCL. They are 4th in the WORLD ranking. Amazing Job Prospects.

Good luck with Bristol though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelle-belle)
    Well, entry to two are like winning the lottery. The other 3 would either be bad luck due to good competition, or a poor personal statement, or poor UMS scores which made 3 A* predictions seem too optimistic. It happens a lot unfortunately.
    Personal statement was good, but my UMS scores were poor in Chemistry, but over 90 in both Maths and Economics. However that was not the reason for rejection according to the Admissions from both LSE and Warwick. Oxford said it was down to the TSA. They said that the competition I was up against faired much better, with a greater number of A*.
    Maybe next year, if I can obtain my predicted grades of 3A*A I will be more successful. Maybe then they may overlook my GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anradu)
    Personal statement was good, but my UMS scores were poor in Chemistry, but over 90 in both Maths and Economics. However that was not the reason for rejection according to the Admissions from both LSE and Warwick. Oxford said it was down to the TSA. They said that the competition I was up against faired much better, with a greater number of A*.
    Maybe next year, if I can obtain my predicted grades of 3A*A I will be more successful. Maybe then they may overlook my GCSE's.
    There there
    LSE and UCL really are like the lotto anyway though so don't feel too bad about them. You have yet to hear from Bristol though - wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    I got an offer from Bath a while back and I'm not predicted straight A*'s (only 1) and I didn't get straight A*'s at GCSE (50/50 A*/A). I have a feeling that they're giving a lot of offers to people applying to Oxbridge knowing that a lot of them won't choose Bath either as a main choice or a backup.
    So can the university see which other uni's you have applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I would so take you up on that offer.
    Sadly it's not possible and I will have to dream on. Haha

But you should take up UCL. They are 4th in the WORLD ranking. Amazing Job Prospects.

Good luck with Bristol though
    I got Bristol mate. Unconditional. I was talking about transferring my Bristol offer!! :confused:

Anyways, yup I'll sure as hell take up UCL. Just hope I meet their conditional requirements!! They are pretty steep.
    I was just a bit worried about the fact of me being an international student and maybe not finding a job even after I perform well.
    And this year I heard there was some problem with university fundings so there is this talk of deteriorating quality!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veronica111)
    So can the university see which other uni's you have applied to?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Did LSE and Warwick give you a reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinWonWan)
    SNAP! I got exactly the same offer just somehow yours came soo early!:eek:
    I think you want the A* in Maths??
    Nice :five:

Dont know why.. it's not like I applied THAT early either (Oct 11) :rolleyes:

Just had my Cambridge interview too. Did NOT go well - less said, the better. So here's hoping for LSE, I guess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badrkahandaman)
    Nice :five:

Dont know why.. it's not like I applied THAT early either (Oct 11) :rolleyes:

Just had my Cambridge interview too. Did NOT go well - less said, the better. So here's hoping for LSE, I guess..
    May I ask which college you applied to? If it's King's, then I seek to reassure you... I also seek to reassure you if it's not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hxu)
    your loss then.
    bit of stupid post tbh, as if people weren't nervous enough
    Yes I definitely agree that it is my loss but it was simply due to the fear of not getting any offers. I just remember reading an article in the times in the Summer after last years A level results,where a student from Brighton college achieved 3A*'s 3A's and didn't gain any offers. I think he got straight A*s at GCSE as well. He applied to Oxford,LSE,UCL,Warwick and Bristol. It really did shock me because they were the universities I was considering applying for. I think people do need to be precautious, perhaps not as much as I am, but as record number of applicants apply to uni year-on-year and as economics becomes more and more popular, it seems that people do need to limit themselves; selecting realistic rather than optimistic choices. Looking back on what I said earlier I feel wrong and I think I'm actually quite envious of those who have the guts to apply to places like Warwick UCL and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    3 offers so far;
    Loughborough AAB
    Bath A*AA
    Warwick A*AA

All straight economics L100.

Just waiting on the big boys now, lse and cam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmegmaProblem)
    3 offers so far;
    Loughborough AAB
    Bath A*AA
    Warwick A*AA

All straight economics L100.

Just waiting on the big boys now, lse and cam.
    When did Loughborough issue your offer?

ReputationRep:
    username: xsexygyalx
    Oxford: CCD
    LSE: ABB
    Thames Valleyy: A*AA

ReputationRep:
    Oh this did put a smile on my face, this thread is rather serious! hehe

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know my current position:

Oxford: interview
    UCL: offer
    LSE: offer
    Bristol: offer
    Birmingham: still waiting

SOoooo happy

ReputationRep:
    if music be the food of love, play on.
    but it isn't and all i want is offers..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.