Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjh.)
    Must have been so much less competitive for economics and international economics this year as opposed to straight economics as my GCSEs were average at best and i got an offer.
    what were your GCSES?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelic03)
    The worst thing is no, I haven't got any offers yet...
    Argh, that sucks, I'm sure they'll start rolling in soon Where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shay_5293)
    I feel well down with my notts rejection. Its strange how they have selected ppl. As ppl on here with A*A*A predictions have been rejected whereas ppl with AAA predictions have got an offer. I dont believe in oh maybe there personal statement may have been better, because in reality, the ps is barely looked at as a deciding factor. Unis know ppl get other ppl to help them with it, so it no longer becomes a fair criteria to be judged upon.

I got AAAA in maths, chem, eco and maths at AS
    Predicted A*AA in maths, physics and eco respectively
    And got 4A*6A at GCSE

Wtf is goin on with unis
    Ha, that's literally identical GCSE and A-Level results to me, with all the same subjects (except I did English Lit at AS instead of Chem). What other unis did you apply to and do you have any other responses? Just wondering cos I'm trying to figure out what my chances are of a uni offer this year, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_velvet)
    Ha, that's literally identical GCSE and A-Level results to me, with all the same subjects (except I did English Lit at AS instead of Chem). What other unis did you apply to and do you have any other responses? Just wondering cos I'm trying to figure out what my chances are of a uni offer this year, haha!
    Haha thats jokes. I applied to ucl, warwick, bath, notts, leicester

UCL and Warwick i havent heard from
    Notts - unsuccessful
    Bath - offer A*AA
    Leicester - ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_velvet)
    What about yourself

ReputationRep:
    aaaarrrrgggghhhhh the wait is killing me aaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh
    IIIIMMMMM GGGOOOOIIINNNGGG TTTTOOOOO GGOOOOO PPPUUUNNNCCCCHHH MMMYYYY WAAAALLLL TTTTIIILLL IIII MMMAAAAKKKKKEEEE AAA HHHHOOOOLLLLEEEE IIIINNN IIITTTT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutman)
    aaaarrrrgggghhhhh the wait is killing me aaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh
    IIIIMMMMM GGGOOOOIIINNNGGG TTTTOOOOO GGOOOOO PPPUUUNNNCCCCHHH MMMYYYY WAAAALLLL TTTTIIILLL IIII MMMAAAAKKKKKEEEE AAA HHHHOOOOLLLLEEEE IIIINNN IIITTTT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3Ltik1evQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meha)
    what were your GCSES?
    A* and the rest As. AAAB at AS in eco, politics, history and maths. My personal statement was very strong though with relevant work experience, county level football and tennis etc. However compared to these applicants my grades are pretty weak. Did you apply for eco and int eco?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjh.)
    A* and the rest As. AAAB at AS in eco, politics, history and maths. My personal statement was very strong though with relevant work experience, county level football and tennis etc. However compared to these applicants my grades are pretty weak. Did you apply for eco and int eco?
    I'm still in year 12...your grades look pretty good...it may have been the B at As level...?? How were your other offers?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, new here.. excuse any 'uncool' non-TSR 'lingo'!

I'm in year 12 now, and wanting to apply for Economics next year.
    I am wanting to apply for top universities such as Oxford, LSE and UCL, however, I realise due to poor GCSE results, my chances are slashed..
    Could someone tell me what my chances are for getting into each of the three mentioned above. At Oxford I will be applying to E+M, at LSE I will go for Economics with social policy, or accounting and finance, and at UCL I will apply for Economics with international program.
    My results and predicted grades are as follows:

GCSE 3A* 7A (A* Maths)
    AS Level predictions A A A A, being Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Music
    Overall A2 Predictions A* A* A - dropping Music.
    I also have completed an Extended project based on economical trade in China (GDP e.t.c), and got an A*

So, if you could guide me as to my chances, and maybe chances for other courses such as E+IR at Birmingham, that'd be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)

I am wanting to apply for top universities such as Oxford, LSE and UCL, however, I realise due to poor GCSE results, my chances are slashed..
    Could someone tell me what my chances are for getting into each of the three mentioned above. At Oxford I will be applying to E+M, at LSE I will go for Economics with social policy, or accounting and finance, and at UCL I will apply for Economics with international program.

GCSE 3A* 7A (A* Maths)
    I also have completed an Extended project based on economical trade in China (GDP e.t.c), and got an A*

So, if you could guide me as to my chances, and maybe chances for other courses such as E+IR at Birmingham, that'd be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    I would avoid LSE and UCL, they're well known for being very strict with GCSEs.

ReputationRep:

GCSE 3A* 7A (A* Maths)

Thanks.
    lse and ucl do tend to be picky on gcse results, but yours are definitely fine. focusing on getting top grades at AS level is probably more important. lse are particularly fussy on subject choices, but again, yours are sweet, and having further maths is an advantage. although unis talk about the epq being rather irrelevant, getting an A* in an economics-related one is yet another advantage. you have the grades and subjects sorted (assuming all goes well for you in august!) so almost all of the rest is down to the personal statement. i fluffed up big style with ucas last year because of a lame personal statement. if you're big time serious on oxford, make sure everything you say is true and that you have a decent amount of background knowledge/experience with it all. if you're not massively fussed on oxford, exaggerate your personal statement and get everything in that ucl and lse will love. lse has a pretty cool guide for personal statements on their website. i've applied for economics this year and possibly even 90% of my statement is either enormously exaggerated or completely invented, and so far 4 offers have rolled in!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

GCSE 3A* 7A (A* Maths)

Thanks.
    Uhh so you're carrying forward Maths, Further Maths and Economics to A2. Hmm some of them in specific, LSE might perceive that as being narrow subject choices.

With regards, to Oxford you would need to prepare well for the TSA because a decent score in that is what assures you of an interview - your grades and personal statement don't help much when you're up against everyone else with similar grades.

Also, applying for E&M to Oxford and then a course like A&F to LSE will be quite difficult to pull off with one personal statement. I suggest that you apply to a similar range of courses that you can address with one personal statement. If you need anymore specific details about Oxford or LSE, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    just wondering. anybody heard from uni of sheffield??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflex)
    Unconditional from Manchester, rejection form Exeter and waiting on Notts, York and Sheffield.
    we have pretty similar choices! i applied to exeter, york, sheffield, durham and sussex. heard from sheffield yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Uhh so you're carrying forward Maths, Further Maths and Economics to A2. Hmm some of them in specific, LSE might perceive that as being narrow subject choices.
    I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelle-belle)
    I don't think so.
    They probably will! They didn't consider FM as an option for a 3rd A2. My offer is conditional on a pass in FM but the grade in FM doesn't contribute toward the required grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samprop)
    They probably will! They didn't consider FM as an option for a 3rd A2. My offer is conditional on a pass in FM but the grade in FM doesn't contribute toward the required grades.
    Ah, really. I know people who have had offers with M, FM, and a third subject at A2 (and a fourth subject only to AS). Glad to hear you have an offer though Usually they do things if you took Maths a year early.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samprop)
    That's a nice set of offers you have there! May I ask what you plan on firming and what would be your insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yinsylvia)
    just wondering. anybody heard from uni of sheffield??
    yea m8, ABB

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.