Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economics12)
    Thank you. Yes I did go to private school.
    Core 1 (100) Core 2 (96) Decision (97) so in total I got 293/300.

I agree a degree from LSE is mind blowing and it is so hard to choose between the two because they are both truly excellent.
    It's a hard decision because you'd assume you'd take Oxford for the 'brand name', but LSE also has a world renowned name. You will never be out of work if you graduate from either of the schools, so if you want a good night life and social life, i'd take LSE. If you wanna study most of the time, and be around a bunch of stiff minded intellectuals, take Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    oh ya, i got into York btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rollinstone36)
    Anyone heard back from UCL yet, waiting on both L100 and L101
    Yeh mate i got rejection for L100. Basically feedback was if you have the A levels and around 9 A*'s at GCSE i think you shouldnt worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Yeah, they say that after rejection but you don't get rejected because of "poor" GCSE's that is just one of the excuses for the rejection. Besides Oxbridge normally only use GCSE grades as an indication of how good you are compared to fellow students in your school, 6 A*'s from a private school probably put him below average in your school whereas my GCSE grades were pretty much top.
    Nope they say they consider that but in realitiy they don't. A while back there was a debate on BBC 1 about whether or not universities should take peopel from state school with the potential or private schools who have shown capability and the universities on almost all occasions chose to take the most qualified candidate regardless of private/state. I also go to a state school and have seen people in my school get pooled from Oxford, UCL, Bristol... with 6 A* 5A's at GCSE and A*AA predicted Considering only 1 in 45 people form state school attain 5 or more A* you point is not very viable. The only time when what school you go to helps is if academic record is pretty similar eg. both 10A* GCSE both A*AA at a level and both preform similar on interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitworth92)
    Fraid bath offered me A*AA with AAAB at as with a b in english (and they saw that)
    Did you drop English though? I remember they said you should have the three A levels you continue to have been A's

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wanted to ask which uni do you think is better,

Cass or Sussex?

so confused atm as to where to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trece13)
    Hey,

Cass or Sussex?

Sussex imo.

Mainly because i wouldn't ever want to go to a Uni in London because i live near it.

(Original post by Trece13)
    Hey,

Cass or Sussex?

I've been to both on open days and I really didn't like Cass whereas I fell in love with Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have receieved offers for Economics from Durham and Nottingham, still waiting for decisions for the other choices though.

However, I can foresee that regardless of the outcomes of my other 3 choices, I might still have to choose one of Durham and Nottingham.

So which university do you think is better for Economics?

btw I am not planning to do Msc.
    I guess Durham has a better overall reputation but Economics at Nottingham is more quantitave and I am good at Maths...:ssaw:
    Thus I am confused:cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by s2004060)
    Hi,

I have receieved offers for Economics from Durham and Nottingham, still waiting for decisions for the other choices though.

However, I can foresee that regardless of the outcomes of my other 3 choices, I might still have to choose one of Durham and Nottingham.

So which university do you think is better for Economics?

btw I am not planning to do Msc.
    I guess Durham has a better overall reputation but Economics at Nottingham is more quantitave and I am good at Maths...:ssaw:
    Thus I am confused:cool:
    I'd choose Nottingham but they both have pros and cons, Durham is more widely respected and a degree from there might have a slightly higher employability than Nottingham (barely a noticeable difference though). Nottingham is a bit more central in England and is nearer to London. The course at Nottingham seems slightly more quantitative than Durham's course as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shay_5293)
    Got an offer a week back. They wanted A*AA
    well done!! where else have you applied?
    oh and what subjects do you do? and what grades did you get at AS and what are your predicted grades? and what are your GCSE grades? (sorry to bombard you with questions!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    I love you.
    I love you more :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelic03)
    well done!! where else have you applied?
    oh and what subjects do you do? and what grades did you get at AS and what are your predicted grades? and what are your GCSE grades? (sorry to bombard you with questions!)
    K im doing maths, eco and physics. Predicted A*AA respectively
    For AS i did : maths, eco, physics and chemistry and got AAAA

My Gcses were 4 A* 6 A ( maths, religious studies, business and english lit were the subjects that i got A*s in)

I have applied to UCL - no reply
    Warwick - no reply
    Bath - A*AA
    Leicester ABB
    Notts - rejection

All for L100 bsc economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesnowman)
    Did you drop English though? I remember they said you should have the three A levels you continue to have been A's
    Nah im still doing English, although I am Channel Islands so fees could be a swaying point? Not really sure! I think I will firm Durham over it anyways, still waiting on warwick

ReputationRep:
    UCL is killing me here... I want to know already!

oh btw, this is for straight L100

ReputationRep:
    Final Offers

Exeter: Conditional
    Southampton: Conditional
    Sheffield: Conditional
    Nottingham: Unsuccessful
    Birmingham: Unsuccessful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.nk)
    UCL is killing me here... I want to know already!

oh btw, this is for straight L100
    Same! When do you reckon we will hear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitworth92)
    Nah im still doing English, although I am Channel Islands so fees could be a swaying point? Not really sure! I think I will firm Durham over it anyways, still waiting on warwick
    Oh fair enough, theres always bound to be a range of factors, I was just pointing out that they emailed me saying that most offer holders had all A's, you could be one of the minority, because they may have really liked you so well done anyway! and on the Durham offer too, thats amazing! Good luck for Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I have an offer from SOAS and York and Loughborough for BSc Economics. Which course do you think is better?
    I think York is the best out of them all but your opinion would be appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    Hey guys.

I have an offer from SOAS and York and Loughborough for BSc Economics. Which course do you think is better?
    I think York is the best out of them all but your opinion would be appreciated! Thanks
    salam dariush jan. Fekr mikonam York as hamashoon behtar bashe as nazereh dars va repuation va az loughborough va soas khely reazish bishtar hast va harchi bishtar ke behtar . SOAS moshkelesh in ast ke kar bad az dars kheli narrow hast va fekr meekonam zakht tar bashad aghe as SOAS betoneen bereen reshteye finance dar ayandeh. akhareen nokteh in ast man ham York offer dar am va kheli khosh hal misham ke be ye iraneyeh dege ashnah beshavam haha :P .

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.