Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got BBC for my AS levels, not sure what my predicted grades are yet :/

Basically, out of the unis in my sig can you give me your opinions on which is best for Psychology and whether it's a waste of space applying to Lancaster. I'm considering not applying to there tbh, as I don't want to get my hopes up for grades I probably wont achieve.

Also, are there any rural campus unis anyone knows which I should consider?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I onced received an offer from Lancaster whilst having AAC/ABC predicted grades (A/B for Psychology) so if you can convince your teachers to predict you those sort of grades then you'll have a chance.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've just graduated from Lancaster and the general consensus is that most Lancaster departments accept people who miss out on their offer by one or two grades but who want to come to Lancaster (ie firm choice) and have good references and personal statements. Lancaster is quite small so every applicant (and student) is given lots of attention and is seen as a person, not just a collection of number.

Also, at Lancaster you can change your degree up until the start of second year because first year doesn't count towards the final classification and every student has to take minors. A well known trick at Lancaster is to apply to a course with lower entry requirements, such as 'Criminology' (or even 'Psychology and Criminology'), and then choose psyc modules in first year and transfer at the start of second year (if you get good enough marks).

I've heard Bangor Uni is good for psyc and it's on the edge of a tiny city surrounded by countryside. Come to think of it Aber may be worth a look too, though I don't even know if they do psyc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfn)
    I've just graduated from Lancaster and the general consensus is that most Lancaster departments accept people who miss out on their offer by one or two grades but who want to come to Lancaster (ie firm choice) and have good references and personal statements. Lancaster is quite small so every applicant (and student) is given lots of attention and is seen as a person, not just a collection of number.

Also, at Lancaster you can change your degree up until the start of second year because first year doesn't count towards the final classification and every student has to take minors. A well known trick at Lancaster is to apply to a course with lower entry requirements, such as 'Criminology' (or even 'Psychology and Criminology'), and then choose psyc modules in first year and transfer at the start of second year (if you get good enough marks).

I've heard Bangor Uni is good for psyc and it's on the edge of a tiny city surrounded by countryside. Come to think of it Aber may be worth a look too, though I don't even know if they do psyc.

Ooh seriusly you have no idea how much better I fell after reading this, I realllyyyy want to go to Lancaster If I did decide to apply for another course though, would I have to change my ps, because all the other unis I apply to will be straight psychology :/ Or what if I decided to apply to psychology at Lancaster, and then also like psychology and criminology? Would I have to change my ps then?

ReputationRep:
    It's been a long time since I did a personal statement so I'm probably not the right person to ask, but if you do apply for psyc and crim maybe just talk about crim in a veiled way. For example say you really want to get into the mind of criminality/mentality of crime, or something like that (if you haven't guessed already, I don't know the first thing about psyc or crim).

I suppose you could possibly apply for both courses, if you're happy to severely limit your other choices. Why don't you e0mail the Psyc department, explain to them that you really want to go to Lancaster and ask them whether it's worth applying for two different psyc courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfn)
    It's been a long time since I did a personal statement so I'm probably not the right person to ask, but if you do apply for psyc and crim maybe just talk about crim in a veiled way. For example say you really want to get into the mind of criminality/mentality of crime, or something like that (if you haven't guessed already, I don't know the first thing about psyc or crim).

I suppose you could possibly apply for both courses, if you're happy to severely limit your other choices. Why don't you e0mail the Psyc department, explain to them that you really want to go to Lancaster and ask them whether it's worth applying for two different psyc courses.
    Yeah I think I might email them now, see what their advice is. And yeah if I do apply to both courses then I might sneakily link criminology in with it Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Update: I will risk just applying for BSc Psychology, as I've checked other stuff out and been told to be wary of applying to the same department twice, so if get an offer great... if not oh well :o:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.