Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do I tell my insurance im taking my car to uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says
    Parents insisting I do...obviously will result in a much higher premium
    All my uni friends havent done so though?..
    What is likely if there is a claim and i dont tell them?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't.

Just renewed my insurance and it was under £400 for the year. If I had put down my uni address it would have been like £500 and there was no way I could have afforded that.

If anything does happen to my car at uni they don't have to know I have it there permenantly

I guess it depends how much your car is worth etcccc.

ReputationRep:
    It's where you spend most of the year in most cases so I didn't change my insurance as I spend more time at home than at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I really would. If you have an accident, or someone hits your car at uni, then the insurance company can investigate and refuse to pay out.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them, if they find out your insurance will be void-and they can easily find out through things like cctv, asking the uni, if you have a parking permit etc, as well as being refused insurance you'll most likely get fined £1000 (happened to a friend of a friend).

ReputationRep:
    I would definately tell them aswell. What if your car gets stolen or broken into? That will take a lot of explaining and a lot of hassle. Surely thats just common sense!

And if you cant afford the insurance, why are you taking it with you anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I phoned up, and when I moved to uni, it was not where you spent the most time, but any place where you would be keeping the car for a substantial amount of time. What they do is work out which postcode /etc is most expensive and then charge you that. IF you crash, and your uni is nowhere near where you live, they are likely to ask why you were where you crashed and/or do their own enquires. If you lie, they can not cover damage to your car, and try and claim back all expenses they pay out to the third party.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much the stupidest type of insurance fraud. If you have an accident at university, they WILL investigate it and you WILL get caught.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why people will pay a lot for insurance and then invalidate it for the sake of saving a few more quid. You may as well not bother with insurance in the first place as hand over a lot of money for a claim to be refused. Funnily enough, insurance companies aren't stupid, and if you claim for an accident/theft etc. in the city where you are at university, they will investigate and refuse your claim.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't then the insurance isn't valid, so you may as well be driving without it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If anything does happen to my car at uni they don't have to know I have it there permenantly.

ReputationRep:
    If anything happened to your car at uni, they would do investigations to tell why something happened there.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't declare your car at your actual address it is fraud. And your insurance company will more than likely become invalid and refuse to pay out in the event of a claim.
    Not worth it, pay the money for valid insurance or you're just chucking it down the drain.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.