Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pleaseeeee can someone explain the proper rules of the roundabout for me. Including
    -What gear for what type of roundabout
    -when to change gear
    -lane positioning
    -What speed to go round the roundabout
    -When to signal
    etc...
    This would be really appreciated. Anyone else find roundabouts hard?

Oh an who to give way to, how do you know which way they are going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Pleaseeeee can someone explain the proper rules of the roundabout for me. Including
    -when to change gear
    -lane positioning
    -When to signal
    etc...

What Gear/Approach:
    Usually Using gear 2 on the approach providing you dont have to stop, approach the roundabout slowly and in control watching for traffic to you're right, if a car is coming on your right side you need to stop/give way. Going down to gear 1 in doing so.

Positioning:

As for positioning, if you are going on the first half of the roundabouts circumference (up to and including straight on) take the left lane, if you are going from past straight on to take the right lane.

Signalling Before/After:
    You signal your intentions for leaving the round about just before the exit you want to take, not before as this confuses other road users causing them to slow down and ultimately removing the effect of a roundabout which is to keep the traffic flowing.

Speed:
    I get told to stay in gear 2 on the roundabout keeping a safe controlled speed and accelerating when leaving the roundabout.

Thats my experience at least, hope it has covered all.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you have to stop at a round about you have to get into gear one before you move off.
    When you go around a medium-larger size roundabout you should enter gear two.
    Outside lane if you want to go straight across or turning left. Inside lane for turning right.
    Signal left or right just before you get to the round about depending on the exit you want to take. You dont usually need to indicate if you are going straight ahead.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the speed, usually 2nd
    -when to change gear
    idealy beforehand
    -lane positioning
    left (outside) lane when you are taking the next exit, right hand lane for any other time (on a 2 lane roundabout)
    depends whats safe, so you can stop if someone pulls out infront of you
    -When to signal
    to turn left (1st exit)- indicate left
    to go straight - dont indicate, then when you pass the exit before you signal left
    to go right (3rd exit) indicate right, then left as ytou go past the exit before you
    etc...
    they're easy once you know how, i used to hate them, not i like them.
    allwasys give way to the right/people already on the roundabout.

ReputationRep:
    -when to change gear
    -lane positioning
    -When to signal
    etc...

The gear you choose should depend on how busy it is. If there's a lot of traffic, then first is best, but if there's a chance you can exit without slowing down, then second gear would be best.

If you do need to change gear, do so in good time before reaching the roundabout, as you would when approaching any other junction / crossroads / traffic lights.

Positioning:-

If you want to go left, signal left on approach and stay in the left hand lane.
    If you want to go right, signal right on approach and move to the right side of your lane.
    To go straight ahead, stick to the middle, and indicate just before exiting the roundabout.

The speed should be slow enough for you to control your vehicle without risk of swerving or rolling over. The slower the better when you're a beginner.

Give way to traffic from your right, and you should be able to tell which way they're going by a) road positioning, and b) indicator signals.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Ok one at a time.
    Gears -
    It is often best, if moving to use second gear on a manual gearbox to go around the roundabout, first gear is for if you have stopped at any point, building up to second if you have the time while going round. IT ISN'T A RACE!!!

Changing gears -
    On a petrol you want to change down to second just as you are really starting to brake, kind of as if you were going to stop for right-of-way traffic and then into first gear as you stop.
    Lanes -
    Generally on a two-lane roundabout the outside lane is for left and straight ahead ( roughly 12 o'clock from your junction into the roundabout ) and the inside lane is for right turns ( about 1 o'clock onwards).
    Speed -
    Whatever speed you feel comfortable at. Usually no more than 30mph if it is a "regular" size roundabout. For larger roundabouts you can speed up a bit more.
    Signaling-
    If turning left or right ( first exit and after "straight ahead" ) then it is best to signal as you are coming up to the roundabout. For straight ahead start signalling just as you go past the previous junction's exit. If there are several exits start signalling as you go past the exit before the one you want to take.

REMEMBER :
    - it is not a race,
    - go once you feel comfortable, never mind what the people behind you might think,
    - (UK roundabouts) traffic to the right has right of way before you,
    - Learner driver cars make idiot drivers frustrated and they will cut you up, pull out in front of you and overtake you as you are pulling off the roundabout when they really shouldn't. KEEP YOUR HEAD TOGETHER, NO SUDDEN MOVES, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND STAY CALM. PANICKING MAKES YOU CRASH.

All the best, i hope this has made sense, feel free to ask me more

Savage

ReputationRep:
    wow everyone is so helful with this, so thanks a lot. This is embarrassing but I am on my 31st lesson and I still dont get them properly. I get confused between two lane and three lane roundabouts and the lane positioning. So in a 2 lane u stay in left to go straight on?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know which way they're going? Well hopefully clockwise....

ReputationRep:
    wow everyone is so helful with this, so thanks a lot. This is embarrassing but I am on my 31st lesson and I still dont get them properly. I get confused between two lane and three lane roundabouts and the lane positioning. So in a 2 lane u stay in left to go straight on?
    Don't worry, I've had more lessons than that, I actually have a test booked and I still get confused sometimes.
    And yes, in a 2 line you stay in left to go straight on, unless road markings dictate otherwise, which is the case sometimes (but not very often.)

ReputationRep:
    1st (Left turn at roundabout) and Second (straight on) exit: Left Lane
    3rd, 4th, 5th (rarely a 5th): Right Lane

What I do though is when it says "Slow" on the road, that's when you slow down and change down to Gear 2. Before you get to the road about, make sure you are roughly about 20mph. If quite busy, stop at the line with gear 1, sometimes you can put the handbrake on. (Advised to ensure you don't roll back when you lift the clutch to move off)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presidential)
    Whenever you have to stop at a round about you have to get into gear one before you move off.
    When you go around a medium-larger size roundabout you should enter gear two.
    Outside lane if you want to go straight across or turning left. Inside lane for turning right.
    Signal left or right just before you get to the round about depending on the exit you want to take. You dont usually need to indicate if you are going straight ahead.
    Sorry if I seem nitpicky but isn't it inside lane for turning left and going straight on and outside lane for going right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowmonkeyman)
    Sorry if I seem nitpicky but isn't it inside lane for turning left and going straight on and outside lane for going right?
    Isnt the inside lane the lane closest to the roundabout lol? you cant turn left from the inside lane.

ReputationRep:
    OMG now im getting confused lol. Wow, i thought I was the only one with roundabout probems lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes. There are almost always markings on the lanes in the form of arrows, so make sure to look out for those in good time if lanes confuse you. If you're approaching with good speed and preparation there should be plenty of time for you to do this and plan ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowmonkeyman)
    England roads
    outside lane = left lane.
    inside lane = right lane. If you turned left from the inside lane you'd drive into the people on the outside lane.

Wierd foreign roads
    outside lane = right lane.
    inside lane = left lane.

and OP, if you're going straight ahead on a roundabout and you can see you won't have to give way to any traffic you can sometimes cross in 3rd gear, but that's more advanced and something you can develop at a later stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    England roads
    outside lane = left lane.
    inside lane = right lane. If you turned left from the inside lane you'd drive into the people on the outside lane.

Wierd foreign roads
    outside lane = right lane.
    inside lane = left lane.

and OP, if you're going straight ahead on a roundabout and you can see you won't have to give way to any traffic you can sometimes cross in 3rd gear, but that's more advanced and something you can develop at a later stage.
    Note: In British English the meanings of inside and outside lanes are the reverse of US English. So in Britain, overtaking is performed using the outside lane, in the US it is termed the inside lane. In both cases, it is the innermost lane of the roadway.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtaking

ReputationRep:
    If the roundabout is a different layout to ordinary (e.g. need to be in middle/right lane to go straight on) it will be sign posted and/or marked in the road...

What everybody else has said covers the other stuff

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to change gears on the roundabout, say from 1st to 2nd, to pick speed up ? Or even 2nd to 3rd for bigger roundabouts ?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, just keep control of the car though, and remember to check mirrors simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmann)
    Is it ok to change gears on the roundabout, say from 1st to 2nd, to pick speed up ? Or even 2nd to 3rd for bigger roundabouts ?
    Yes, but try to do it when you have a steady/fixed steering input. It may be difficult to turn the steering wheel smoothly and accurately whilst you're changing gear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.