Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    I have A(maths)A(further maths)C(additional further maths) and have just got a clearing place at the university of sheffield for Mathematics. I did not have my grades all this time becouse of cashing-in problems.

My Offers where:
    Brisol - AAB firm
    Durhams - AAB
    Warwick - AAA2
    Lancaster - ABB insurance

Although Sheffield is not so bad,I am hoping to transfer to one of my initial choices in the second year(same course).
    If it is worth anything I self-taught my 3 A-levels,therefore(?), I expect to be able to do well in my first year.
    Is there any senario where my chances of transfering are reasonable good ?
    I tend to always want the best opportunties possible... , I just need to be in one of the above universities to feel good about myself(temperarly) :cool:

Thanks for any help whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    You can try to transfer whenever you like: its up to the universities whether or not they take you. If you desperately want to move, wait a couple of weeks and see if a uni you want to go to has had any drop outs from your course and then you might be able to transfer in the first term of first year.

Otherwise, just write to them later in the year and state that you would like to transfer. If they have space and if you have completed appropriate modules, there shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar predicament three years ago; I firmed a Southern uni that I assumed was quite prestigious only to find at the star of September that it wasn't very well thought of. After a day or two of dispare and denial I remembered that "shy bairns get nowt" and decided to contact some unis. It took me mere minutes to write an e-mail and within three hours Lancaster had accepted me and all I had to do was drop out of the other uni and get picked up by Lancaster. Within a day I was picking my college and deciding which minor to take in first year! iI hindsight it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

If you don't want to go to Sheffield then I'd definately recommend sending an e-mail or two. What's three minutes of your time compared to a (potentially) far more enjoyable university experience?

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/departm...ate/contact-us

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies,

yes, I will do just that. When I get to sheffield(now applying for visa) I will decide if I like it or not ,if not email other universities. I will have nothing to loose.

ReputationRep:
    Your A Levels were self taught, did you not attend college/sixth form?

Can't help with your predicament but that bit in your OP made me wonder....

ReputationRep:
    While sheffield is a really good uni (I liked it on open day) and personally I think it's well regarded, I think you definitely have a chance to change if you really want to once you get there.

I would contact all the unis once you've been there like a month, and ask about what they'd expect from you, detailing the modules you're doing, and whether it would be possible. When you apply I would mention you self taught (shows discipline) but don't use it as an 'excuse' for not meeting the offer. I'd focus on the module/coursework results you've already received from Sheffield, these will show you are good enough to do a degree. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Your A Levels were self taught, did you not attend college/sixth form?

Can't help with your predicament but that bit in your OP made me wonder....

I did go to school in yr.12 to do 3 other AS subjects(got ddu) selftaught another AS(got c) and A-levels Maths and f math in yr 12.
    went to school once a week or so in yr 13 under the pretence of studying A-level physics, Didn't like it at all..., missed a physics Alevel exam so didn't get a grade, funny my physics teacher predicted a B.
    I thought I would very easily get an A or so in additional further maths as I have alot less to learn than yr 12 but somehow I got a C ... But still it was a very easy C, didn't struggle.

I don't feel so bad going to shefield, One can succeed anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roguedaemon)

I did go to school in yr.12 to do 3 other AS subjects(got ddu) selftaught another AS(got c) and A-levels Maths and f math in yr 12.
    went to school once a week or so in yr 13 under the pretence of studying A-level physics, Didn't like it at all..., missed a physics Alevel exam so didn't get a grade, funny my physics teacher predicted a B.
    I thought I would very easily get an A or so in additional further maths as I have alot less to learn than yr 12 but somehow I got a C ... But still it was a very easy C, didn't struggle.

I don't feel so bad going to shefield, One can succeed anywhere.
    Wow ok! My A Level maths was a struggle until it finally 'clicked' in Y13...if that makes sense? But I did need the teacher's help!

Sheffield is a great Uni but obviously if you want to transfer and you can then by all means do. You're clearly good at Maths so prove it to them!

ReputationRep:
    I transferred in my after my 1st year to a much better university. Contact the department you wish to transfer and the admissions department. Then if they say it is OK to apply (bear in mind not all places accept transfers) then you can apply through UCAS for a 2nd year entry. You will probably be made an offer of a high 2.i (67%) or a 1st. If you want any more information please ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    I transferred in my after my 1st year to a much better university. Contact the department you wish to transfer and the admissions department. Then if they say it is OK to apply (bear in mind not all places accept transfers) then you can apply through UCAS for a 2nd year entry. You will probably be made an offer of a high 2.i (67%) or a 1st. If you want any more information please ask.

transfered from where to where can you tell me ?
    transfering from shefield to say Bristol is realistic to you ?
    does good performance at uni normally supersede A-level shortcomings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roguedaemon)
    transfered from where to where can you tell me ?
    transfering from shefield to say Bristol is realistic to you ?
    does good performance at uni normally supersede A-level shortcomings?
    A level results did not matter at all when I was transferring. I don't want to say from where to where (it will identify me) but my first uni was much worse than Sheffield, and my 2nd was about the same as Bristol. If you looked through my older threads you could probably find the names if you were really interested.

It sounds realistic to me, but I don't know what policy the admissions office, and department you want to transfer to operate under. Just contact them and see what they have to say.

When you apply, I would try and come up with a reason why you want to take the course other than that it is at a 'better' university. A couple of league table places will seem trivial to the admissions people, and quite rightly. There should be something special about the course you want that you can identify and make part of your application.

Oh and remember it is a long shot to transfer. In the humanities department at my new university I was the only transfer student in the year.

Any other questions?
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    good! thank you all,
    So it is withen the realm of possibility to get somewhere 'better' ,I will definity persue this.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a limit to how many universitiy transfers you can apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXERTYRE)
    Is there a limit to how many universitiy transfers you can apply for?
    yes I applied for multiple transfers and was made a couple of offers. I am not sure what the limit is.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.