Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I have worn glasses since I was in Year 7 and I've grown to get used to 'em and now I kinda hide behind them.

However, I'm getting sick of them. I feel like everytime someone looks at me they judge me and think I'm a "nerd" or am really smart. I know they're probably not thinking that but I'm a self-concious girl :L

ANYWAYS, I have decided to get contact lenses. However, the last time I tried contact lenses I found it really hard to get 'em in.

So, tips please ?

Also, would anyone who is using contact lenses please tell me the best ones to buy? I don't want to wear them all the time at first so would the daily disposable ones be best?

Thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    Acuvue Moist (daily disposables).

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like the dailies. My mom started me on contact lenses because she thought it was such a waste to hide my big eyes behind glasses and got me on the monthlies. I use Bausch & Lomb.

It took me about 15 minutes each eye the first time I tried to put them in, and that was with mom's help. The trick is to keep practicing until your eye gets used to the disturbance.

ReputationRep:
    Trying touching your eye with your finger to get used to it. Obvs wash it first and then start from the corner of your eye, so you know that you won't feel much up to a point.

ReputationRep:
    I use Bausch & Lomb too. They're really comfortable.

Oh, and just practice putting your contacts in a lot (:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot

I'm hoping I will just get used to putting 'em in. I find getting them out fine it's just bringing it towards my eye that's the hard part hahaa xD

Taa for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    If you're just starting with them I would start on the dailies. I use air optix monthlies which apparently good for allowing oxygen to the eye through the lens or something similar.

Just ensure there's plenty of solution on the lens when you put it in as if it's dry it will be uncomfortable. Leave plenty of time in mornings during the first few days with your lenses to get used to putting them in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what everyone else has said reallly! I've been wearing contact lenses for years now. I reccomend you go to an Opticians and tell them you what contact lenses and they'll help you with putting them in the first time, how to do it properly etc. In fact is Opticians the only place you can buy them from? Or can you buy them over the counter? Not too sure!

I have soft ones, that last for 30 days, they're really good, and stop your eyes from drying out because they let a lot of oxygen through them.

ReputationRep:
    I use Bausch & Lomb dailies, they are very good.

The best tip I got for putting in contacts is as follows:

1) Place the contact lens on your eye. Do not blink.

After placing the lens on your eye, it will most likely either a) contain an air bubble underneath it or b) look a bit wrinkly/not taut. In the case of a), when you blink, it will cause discomfort until the bubble has gradually worked its way out from the lens. In the case of b), your lens will likely fall out.

When I first started wearing contacts I was plagued by these problems because getting the lens onto your eye is the easy bit, but it either fell out when I blinked or hurt for 10-15 minutes before the bubble under the lens had gone.

The solution?

Step 2. After placing the lens on your eye, do not blink. Touch the lens and then rotate/wiggle the lens around your eye until you can see the air bubble disappear and/or the lens sit "nicely" on your eye. You do not have to do small movements, big circular movements even moving away from your Iris is best. I learnt this from my optician when I went for my contact lens test - he just put his finger straight onto my lens/eye and wiggled it around in a circular fashion for a few seconds and voila, my lens was sitting perfectly on my eye with no bubbles and no discomfort!

If you follow this technique it literally will take you no longer than 1 minute to get the ordeal of putting both lenses in and have them sitting comfortably.

Good luck by the way, contacts are amazing!

Oh by the way, for getting them in in the first place - if you're right handed, lift your upper eyelid up using your left hand and pull your lower eyelid down with the middle finger on your right hand, with the lens sitting on the top of your index finger ready for insertion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Carter)
    Yeah what everyone else has said reallly! I've been wearing contact lenses for years now. I reccomend you go to an Opticians and tell them you what contact lenses and they'll help you with putting them in the first time, how to do it properly etc. In fact is Opticians the only place you can buy them from? Or can you buy them over the counter? Not too sure!

I have soft ones, that last for 30 days, they're really good, and stop your eyes from drying out because they let a lot of oxygen through them.
    The people who show you how to put the lenses in and take them out are usually clueless. I felt so sorry for a woman who was being "taught" how to do this last time I was at the opticians, the man was telling her completely the wrong thing to do and the poor woman was trying to take the lens out for 10 minutes, traumatising her in the process. In the end I just went over and told her my way, and she instantly managed to get the lens out.

ReputationRep:
    I've worn contact lenses since age 15, after wearing glasses for about 6 years, and have no problems with them. I have monthly soft lenses, but I have to put them out for the nights, which can be complicated sometimes (eg. after a party or during a festival) so I always buy daily lenses too, if I needed for an occasion. In the beginning it's a bit difficult to put them in, but after some weeks you'll be used to it and you'll do it in about half a minute even in a moving car , so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Ive been wearing them for a while now. At first it took me ages to put them in but i soon got the hang of it. dailies are good i used to have them but i moved onto monthlies because i wear them quite alot. It depends how often you'll be wearing them. If you dont wear them as much, id recommend dailies as it'll be the cheaper option!

ReputationRep:
    If you get them prescribed at an opticians they usually give you a tutorial. I've been wearing them for years. Love them.

ReputationRep:
    I've had lenses for ages, but still just wear my glasses. I just can't get used to my face without glasses; I think I look odd :lol:

How long did it take people to get used to not wearing glasses?

ReputationRep:
    I use Bausch & Lomb monthlies too, really comfortable and can leave them in all day with no irritation.

I had dailies but found I could only wear them for about 6 hours because my eyes would become irritated and sore.

ReputationRep:
    i wear focus activue dailies, though like others have said, by the end of the day they can get a bit dried up and irritating. people compliment me much more when i have them in, but its wierd, i actually quite enjoy wearing glasses, so i wear them about 2/3 of the time

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.