The Student Room Group

Funding for a second degree, but was never funded for the first !!

Hi Guys,

I'm new here as Ive only recently decided that I will apply for a university place for 2011 :smile:!!!!

Im only 23, and graduated 2 years ago with a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. As I came from Ireland and was not a UK citizen, I was not entitled to any UK student loans or government funding (my parents and I paid my tuition fees together yearly!) so I have never been funded for a degree before.

I am now going to apply for a nursing degree and as I have been living in the UK for over 5 years now, I have been amde aware that I am entitled to UK government funding for study, however I've also been told that I'm NOT entitled to it as this would be my second degree.

What im trying to ask here (very difficulty lol) is will I be entitled to student funding for my second degree (in nursing) as I never obtained any funding for my first degree?? Any help would be appreciated soooooo much!! Thank you very much in advance :smile: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
should be eligible for an NHS bursary i would have though
shampoo1
Hi Guys,

I'm new here as Ive only recently decided that I will apply for a university place for 2011 :smile:!!!!

Im only 23, and graduated 2 years ago with a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. As I came from Ireland and was not a UK citizen, I was not entitled to any UK student loans or government funding (my parents and I paid my tuition fees together yearly!) so I have never been funded for a degree before.

I am now going to apply for a nursing degree and as I have been living in the UK for over 5 years now, I have been amde aware that I am entitled to UK government funding for study, however I've also been told that I'm NOT entitled to it as this would be my second degree.

What im trying to ask here (very difficulty lol) is will I be entitled to student funding for my second degree (in nursing) as I never obtained any funding for my first degree?? Any help would be appreciated soooooo much!! Thank you very much in advance :smile: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi shampoo1,

I would advise for you to give us a call so we can go into more depth regarding your individual circumstances, please feel free to contact us on 0845 300 50 90. We are open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 9am-530pm Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks, Gary.
Reply 3
Again, I have to disagree with the SFE advice here.

You have detailed you are going onto a Nursing degree, and have been resident for 5 years. Provided you are in receipt of an income-assessed NHS bursary, you will be entitled to a reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance England.
Reply 4
Taiko
Again, I have to disagree with the SFE advice here.

You have detailed you are going onto a Nursing degree, and have been resident for 5 years. Provided you are in receipt of an income-assessed NHS bursary, you will be entitled to a reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

This sounds right.

Although the reason SFE aren't saying this is they aren't allowed to discuss individual cases on here, only general queries. I feel sorry for the people who have to answer to TSR on SF's behalf lol!
Reply 5
kpwxx
This sounds right.

Although the reason SFE aren't saying this is they aren't allowed to discuss individual cases on here, only general queries. I feel sorry for the people who have to answer to TSR on SF's behalf lol!

Just from an assessors viewpoint, this is rather standard and won't relate to a student's specific circs. It's my view that it could have been answered, therefore saving a phone call.
Reply 6
HI SFE, Thank you for the contact information I will ring tomorrow for further info :smile:

Thanks everyone for getting back to me - Im sorry for my dealy in replying. Really hope I am entitled to something as I am so eager to get back into study but I just need to make sure I can afford it :smile:!!!!! Thanks again xxx
Reply 7
Seriously, just read my advice, and it'll save you the phone call and the cost. You could donate the equivalent cost of the call to my beer fund.
Reply 8
^ hahaha ok thank you very much :smile: beer fund? typical student response eh? ahh oi cant wait to be one again haha xxx
Taiko - a student!
LOL
Reply 10
It's for the LEA fund, allowing us to have champagne at breakfast whilst we process applications for finance...
excellent!
Reply 12
Taiko
It's for the LEA fund, allowing us to have champagne at breakfast whilst we process applications for finance...

ha ha ha ok ill keep this funding in mind on my next pay day!! xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending