Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has been posted before!

Right, since I know barely anything about Reading and it's nightlife, what nightclubs are there, and which are the best ones to go to? I'm a moderate partier, but I do like a good nightclub.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Liquid and that's about it!! Reading is pretty poor for decent nightlife as far as I'm aware. I live a little way away from it and most people I know go to Bracknell, Camberly or elsewhere. Reading is good for shopping though ;

ReputationRep:
    Pfft - there are some amazing nights out in Reading... you just have to know where and when they are.

I'm sat at my desk this morning nursing a wretched hangover because of Propaganda at Qbar last night... wow, I clearly need to step my game up if I'm going to keep pace with the incoming freshers!

Qbar Mondays are always good. The venue's a bit **** but when it's all open it's the second biggest venue in Reading (after the Students' Union nightclub) but the night itself is good because the drinks are cheap, the music is vaguely alright (although you quickly learn the playlist), and most everyone you know will be out there.

However Skint Mondays at Revs has been a definite popular choice this summer hols... full of 18-24 year-olds and not a silver fox or a cougar in sight! Interesting to see how that goes once term starts, the students return, and Qbar Mondays restart.

Tuesdays and Thursday are normally a Sakura night - both nights are decent music but are different. One is an indie/rock night and the other is more dub. Thursday is also a good Dogma night as well so we tend to vary it and go there.

Friday is defintely a Dogma night though :-) Always a hilarious shout with a group of mates.

Wednesday and Saturday are ALWAYS Union nights :-)

But this is only my template for a week and the one that me and my mates use. We vary it and mix it around whenever there are big nights on in other venues... Sub89 is always one to keep an eye on ;-) You'll quickly find what works for you and your group of friends - I've been to some shocking clubs over the years in Reading and you eventually find nights and venues that you enjoy - don't worry :-)

(The Union is always a good one though! )

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: this was all true last time I was in reading, aka janruary, i since took a medical leave of absence, so some of this could be ********. sorry.

In addition to all the above, Purple turtle is great...if you dont mind slightly...scummier venues. The main bit is great, love the decor, downstairs with the drum and bass is hilarious providing you are really pissed, and always wear high heels cos the toilets are normally flooded. Kareoke on a monday is good fun. and the van out back sells the most amazing chips.
    Deja vu do £3 cocktails on a thursday (and always if you are a member of the cocktail society I think, dont quote me of that though) and is a nice place for a quiet night, or a few pre-club cocktails...also at about 9pm all the strippers from next door start to turn up, i guess so they dont go in through the front door of sugar lounge? which the guys tend to appriciate.

ReputationRep:
    Reading is great for shopping, not so much for clubbing really.

Purple Turtle is normally pretty good, as long as you don't mind the grime.
    Q bar is tolerable if you don't mind the music, but they sometimes do foam parties and such.
    Dogma is just pretentious.
    Haven't personally been in Sakura, but I hear good things about it. Apparently the entry fee is pretty hefty though.
    If you want cheap pre-drinks try The Monks.

ReputationRep:
    Haha pretentious in what way? It's a great night out! But you're right about Sakura, it's a great night out :-) Not too expensive on the door... £4 I think from memory?

It's ALL about the Turtle especially at the end of the night :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Gilchrist)
    Haha pretentious in what way? It's a great night out! But you're right about Sakura, it's a great night out :-) Not too expensive on the door... £4 I think from memory?

It's ALL about the Turtle especially at the end of the night :-)
    :p: Mainly the decor and the snobby drinks menu really. Plus whenever I've been there the staff have always been really irritating.

But definitely agree with you about Turtle. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    i have never spent a nght in dogma that i remember else i would comment.
    yayyyy turtle

ReputationRep:
    i love Q bar!! also revs is good, it holds all the events, and skint mondays whoooo!! secura has indie night on monday (i hate indie though lol) i also have had good times in bar risa except sometimes it is quite empty. i don't know thaaat much about all the bars/ clubs since i have only been 18 a couple of days, so before then only been out with sisters id. when ur next out we can raaave!!
    i keep meaning to go to purple turtle cos never been!! will go there next time. i heard dogma is ****...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire_Spoon)
    :p: Mainly the decor and the snobby drinks menu really. Plus whenever I've been there the staff have always been really irritating.

But definitely agree with you about Turtle. :yes:
    The bouncers outside Sakura are probably the worst in Reading :rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    The bouncers outside Sakura are probably the worst in Reading :rant:
    Yeah? What do they do?

ReputationRep:
    q is good on mondays and thursdays, but you will get bored eventually, you can also go to the very scummy yet cheap yates for predrinks as its almost next door

i heard sakura is good on mondays if you like a change of music
    purple turtle is also good for a change
    never been to dogma, and revs is the worst club i've been to

also check bar mangos for some drum and bass events that are usually pretty good
    and sub89 get fairly good artists so keep a look out for that, sonata arctica in march P best night of the year im sure

oh and ive you like metal check facebar as its a nice small venue which gets fairly decent bands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    Liquid and that's about it!! Reading is pretty poor for decent nightlife as far as I'm aware. I live a little way away from it and most people I know go to Bracknell, Camberly or elsewhere. Reading is good for shopping though ;

What. The. ****? Please tell me they don't frequent places like the Agincourt every single Friday/Saturday night.

People above have listed all of the places I was going to bring up. Meh, it's not the best but it's far from the worst. ***** on Camberley. ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    Dont get me started
    I'm intrigued now, rant away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGosling1234)

oh and ive you like metal check facebar as its a nice small venue which gets fairly decent bands
    Oh my, I haven't been to the facebar since I was like 15.

Fond memories.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I haven't been to the facebar since I was like 15.

Fond memories.
    I HELD A PARTY THERE LAST NIGHT :woo: only good for parties tbh lol.

GUYS i totally think we should have a TSR night on the town!!

oh and btw i always go the the weatherspoons hope tap for pre-drinks with my friend- sneak in some vodka, buy the summer berry pitcher for £5, chuck in the vodka and ur awaay!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issih)

as long as its not a weekday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issih)

I was just thinking we should have a TSR Turtle night :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking we should have a TSR Turtle night :ahee:
    (Original post by TGosling1234)
    as long as its not a weekday
    YEH ok cool tsr turtle night when's it to be?? i'm free tonight

ReputationRep:
    Haha I am definitely not free tonight - I am HANGING out of my arse after last night's escapades in Qbar...

I'm all about a TSR Turtle night :-) Create a new thread for it!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.