Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is a thread for prospective Politics and IR students to discuss anything relevant to their application for the 2010/2011 admissions cycle.

Successful candidates may wish to post the conditions and details of their offer(s) in the Politics and IR Applicants 2011 Offer Thread.

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Am thinking of applying for International Relations at Exeter, York and QMUL at the minute, and probably just stick to those three and apply to more than one course at each. I have 35 points w/ 665 (Hi,Ec,En) in the IB. What are people thinking my chances are. And I was wondering, is IR as respected a course as say, History, if I were to apply to Law/Journalism postgrad or general grad schemes? Would I be better off applying for dual honours in say IR & History or Economics.

Oh, and is there anywhere with some tips for writing an IR personal statement? I've written a history one, are they much different?

Please quote to reply Thanks in advance xx

ReputationRep:
    thinking of applying to Durham, Bristol, Bath, York and Notts for a mixture of politics and international relations. My GCSEs were pretty good (5A*s 4As) and Ive got tones of good work experience etc but my AS's were pretty poor (B's and a C), although I have still got AAA predictions..over ambitious ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    thinking of applying to Durham, Bristol, Bath, York and Notts for a mixture of politics and international relations. My GCSEs were pretty good (5A*s 4As) and Ive got tones of good work experience etc but my AS's were pretty poor (B's and a C), although I have still got AAA predictions..over ambitious ?
    Im worried about that too!! Were applying for the same places by the way! The probs with me is that i flopped my first year =[ partied too much =[ and i got like BCD im getting predicted AAC - but my personal statement is banging! haha my teachers asked to use it as a template for my peers and other students to come =]
    but im betting i have to do 3 years of college coz i probs get AAB or AAA at the end of this year =[ but probs get rejected from the unis and have to be bored for a year and re apply =s

fml ¬_¬

oh and im worried about the people at Durham and York i dont want to be a boring college =s

P.S i didnt notice the date of this thread lool how did you do? wherre did you go???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight-wonder)

P.S i didnt notice the date of this thread lool how did you do? wherre did you go???

well If im honest not much has changed in the last 5 hours... :rolleyes:

oh and im worried about the people at Durham and York i dont want to be a boring college =s
    yeah I thought the same, but from what Ive heard both are still pretty good social wise, despite Durham being a pretty tiny town. Supposedly they have the official worst nightclub in europe, which actually sounds pretty jokes =]

ReputationRep:
    I ****** up my ASs pretty badly (BBC, annyoingly close to the above grade with all of them) and I've called for a remark for one paper a subject. Hopefully, I should be able to go up at least a grade in one subject, but if I'm still stuck with BBC I'll be very worried about applying. I'm also taking on an AS this year to boost my application.

I've been predicted AABa (possibly an A* in History) and I've been looking at universities asking for AAB to ABB, but I still feel despite my predicted grades I'm being unrealistic. My GCSEs were also relatively poor (A*AABBCCCCCD, but resitting one of the Cs this year, which is Maths).

Should I still be aiming for AAB universities? I've been advised that I should resit the year to have any chance of getting into a so-called 'good' university, but I'd really rather not resort to that.

Also, the results this year were overall pretty poor (my results were average for the year, if not slightly above), so I'm hoping the admissions tutors will take this into account, which I somehow doubt they will. My subjects are fairly well respected - English Lit. (C), History and RS (both Bs), and so I feel their relative difficulty may excuse my poor results.

I didn't apply myself very well last year, and if I feel five rejections are impending then I know I won't this year either.

Any advice would be appreciated (and sorry for the poorly written post, I'm exhausted).

ReputationRep:
    well If im honest not much has changed in the last 5 hours... :rolleyes:

yeah I thought the same, but from what Ive heard both are still pretty good social wise, despite Durham being a pretty tiny town. Supposedly they have the official worst nightclub in europe, which actually sounds pretty jokes =]

OH loooool! Spas moment!! =p
    LOOOL worst nightclub in europe? Ah man, you just crossed durham off the list =p
    Im picking LSE now! their requirments are pretty okay! AAB
    =]

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]I've been predicted AABa (possibly an A* in History) and I've been looking at universities asking for AAB to ABB, but I still feel despite my predicted grades I'm being unrealistic. My GCSEs were also relatively poor (A*AABBCCCCCD, but resitting one of the Cs this year, which is Maths).[/QUOTE]

My GCSE's are any good (AABBBBBCCDD) but im really confident i'll get offers, its beacuse of my PS! Smacked it! and im really good at interviews

Im ambitious and realistic! and i might be retaking yr13 just to make sure i dont go to a OK uni
    im going to make sure i get AAA even if im not predicted

im predicted AAB (b isnt ceritain could drop to a C)
    History Economics and chemistry =p werid mix i know

i think you need to show your confidence in you PS and make sure its banging

x Good luck
    i hope i helped =] xx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got BBCCC (I got 159 UMS in English Lit and 150 in Politics, FML), but I'm retaking some of the modules to give me more UMS. I so cried over my grades, but I got over it pretty quickly when I got AAB prediction!

I'm applying to Nottingham, York, UEA and Reading - although I might change UEA to Manchester, not sure

ReputationRep:
    OH loooool! Spas moment!! =p
    LOOOL worst nightclub in europe? Ah man, you just crossed durham off the list =p
    Im picking LSE now! their requirments are pretty okay! AAB
    =]
    LSE politics is rediculously hard to get an offer from though, take a look at the application ratio. Durham may have a higher offer, but only 7 to 1 application ratio. LSE has something like 25 to 1.

ReputationRep:
    LSE politics is rediculously hard to get an offer from though, take a look at the application ratio. Durham may have a higher offer, but only 7 to 1 application ratio. LSE has something like 25 to 1.
    Im applying for International Relations or IR w/ History =[
    aiming high?

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for International Relations or IR w/ History =[
    aiming high?
    well it is pretty ambitious for most people, but theres nothing wrong with optimism :p:

Its worth the risk in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    well it is pretty ambitious for most people, but theres nothing wrong with optimism :p:

Its worth the risk in my opinion.
    Do you think Lesiter is any good?
    sad thing is if i go to a uni in london my mum will be watch my every move!!!! =0 loool i orginally planned to go to scottland haha (i live in london)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Lesiter is any good?
    sad thing is if i go to a uni in london my mum will be watch my every move!!!! =0 loool i orginally planned to go to scottland haha (i live in london)

yeah I think its meant to be alright, obviously not as good as the like of LSE etc but still..

And yeah its similar for me, however I'm starting to think that going to Uni in London may actually me a good thing, weekend trips home to drop off the laundry and all

ReputationRep:
    I'm a reapplicant for IR, currently have BCC at A2 but retaking the C's. Applying to Leeds, UEA, Birmingham, Portsmouth and Nottingham Trent.

ReputationRep:
    Things have changed a little as I've now been predicted all As (not that A*, which some were, but 'whatever'). So, maybe I will apply to AAB universities - with some caution. I don't want to get my hopes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasteh)
    Things have changed a little as I've now been predicted all As (not that A*, which some were, but 'whatever'). So, maybe I will apply to AAB universities - with some caution. I don't want to get my hopes up.

if your predicted AAA then applying to AAB unis is perfectly reasonable, you might as-well even have a shot at an AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    This is a thread for prospective Politics and IR students to discuss anything relevant to their application for the 2010/2011 admissions cycle.

Successful candidates may wish to post the conditions and details of their offer(s) in the Politics and IR Applicants 2011 Offer Thread.

Good luck everyone!
    Warwick - Politics or Politics and IR

I got AABC .. but I am also doing an EPQ does this mean I can still apply?

Extended Project (2008 onwards)

Acceptability Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
    Required grades B
    Additional Information Grade B in Extended Project would be considered in lieu of AS requirement in typical A Level offers.

So substitute the C as the forth AS for the EPQ?

ReputationRep:
    My unis and grades are in my sig I only just got an A in economics, so I'm really worried I'm gonna go down next year! I hope I get in somewhere, not sure my personal statment is that good

ReputationRep:
    Looking for an ABB - BBBish insurance, cant really find anywhere, any ideas ?

my current choices are Durham AAA, Brisol AAA-AAB, Bath AAA-AAB, York AAB and then probably loughborough BBB having got 5A* 3A B at GCSE, BBCD at AS (dissapointing, predicted As) and predicted AAA for A2. Too optimistic ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.