The Student Room Group

Politics and IR Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

just sent off my geography and politics/international relations applications yesterday. not liking how i've heard how slow responses have been this year!
Sheffield have been making offers.
Original post by notanumber
Sheffield have been making offers.

do you know when they started making offers?
First one I heard of was on the 20th October.
one of my mates has got 4 offers already for politics and ir from manchester, leeds, uea and liverpool!
Reply 45
I'm starting to wonder why I chose York over Sheffield or Manchester, when York seem to go slow and Sheffield and Manchester are already giving out offers.
Two of my choices have already clearly stated that I should not expect to hear anything from them until at least the 15th of January. For Cambridge things are not very different.
And Durham are also slow. :s-smilie:
Original post by SergioMZ
I'm starting to wonder why I chose York over Sheffield or Manchester, when York seem to go slow and Sheffield and Manchester are already giving out offers.
Two of my choices have already clearly stated that I should not expect to hear anything from them until at least the 15th of January. For Cambridge things are not very different.
And Durham are also slow. :s-smilie:

York's started giving out Politics offers according to the big thread...they've definitely slowed though. I got mine on the 17th October last year (10 days after I sent off my UCAS) and it didn't look like any York departments were giving out offers that early this time! Sheffield also started early October last year but it seems they've waited til November this cycle...

Anyway good luck!
Reply 47
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
York's started giving out Politics offers according to the big thread...they've definitely slowed though. I got mine on the 17th October last year (10 days after I sent off my UCAS) and it didn't look like any York departments were giving out offers that early this time! Sheffield also started early October last year but it seems they've waited til November this cycle...

Anyway good luck!

York's my fifth choice, but anyway, it's scary. I hope I get an offer (at least one, out of my five choices). :s-smilie:
I just got a email from bristol saying they want to "hold my application back for further consideration" anyone else ? is this a good or bad sign ?
Reply 49
its better than a rejection!

I've applied for Exeter, Birmingham, Queen Marry, Aberdeen and East Anglia!

so far i have an offer from exeter- ABB
and UEA- ABB

Exeter's top of the list atm but I so hope i get offers from Birmingham and Aberdeen!!
Original post by Debbie :)
its better than a rejection!

I've applied for Exeter, Birmingham, Queen Marry, Aberdeen and East Anglia!

so far i have an offer from exeter- ABB
and UEA- ABB

Exeter's top of the list atm but I so hope i get offers from Birmingham and Aberdeen!!

WOW an ABB offer from Exeter?! And well done on the UEA one :smile: I got one too, but I'm not exactly a big fan of the concrete jungle, so it might be my fifth choice!
Reply 51
Original post by yahyahyahs
WOW an ABB offer from Exeter?! And well done on the UEA one :smile: I got one too, but I'm not exactly a big fan of the concrete jungle, so it might be my fifth choice!

yeah i no! I wasn't expecting it aha :wink:

I'm not too sure about UEA after all I've heard ::confused:
plus I no Exeter's a nice place as I live 20 minutes away and go there clubbing quite alot.. Birmingham is obvs better social wise, lived there before and would love to go back. Does anybody know a lot about Aberdeen uni and the city?
Birmingham offer ! ABB (international relations with political science)

soooo relieved !
Guys I need your advice.

I applied to LSE for international relations.
I have an IB predicted of 41 with 7 6 6 at higher level (history, english a1 and italian a1)

I know the requirement is technically 37 with 6 6 6, but there are a lot of applicants for not many places.

Still, do you think I have decent chances of getting an offer?

I got rejected by Cambridge (Magdalene) PPS
I got two offers, Royal Holloway and York

Ciao!
:wavey: Hi!
I've applied to Cambridge (Emmanuel) for PPS, Birmingham for IR, Warwick for Politics and International Studies, St Andrews for IR and Psychology, and Nottingham for Politics and US Studies :biggrin:
So far, I have offers from Birmingham and Nottingham, and a Cambridge inerview on the 15th of December :tongue: Anyone heard a peep from Warwick yet? St Andrews sent me a lovely postcard saying they don't give any home offers until after the Jan deadline :cry2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by donadallerosen
Guys I need your advice.

I applied to LSE for international relations.
I have an IB predicted of 41 with 7 6 6 at higher level (history, english a1 and italian a1)

I know the requirement is technically 37 with 6 6 6, but there are a lot of applicants for not many places.

Still, do you think I have decent chances of getting an offer?

I got rejected by Cambridge (Magdalene) PPS
I got two offers, Royal Holloway and York

Ciao!

LSE, and UCL, are known for being a bit weird with admissions, with students predicted straight A/A* or high IB marks being rejected in the first wave of rejections. No-one on TSR can give you a definite answer but from other threads, it seems if you have high predictions, which you do, and fairly good GCSEs, which I am sure you do, then you might stand a very good chance :biggrin:
LSE, and UCL, are known for being a bit weird with admissions, with students predicted straight A/A* or high IB marks being rejected in the first wave of rejections. No-one on TSR can give you a definite answer but from other threads, it seems if you have high predictions, which you do, and fairly good GCSEs, which I am sure you do, then you might stand a very good chance :biggrin:

heh thank you! I'm just a bit stressed, so I'm really looking for comfort ahah! UCL replied already though in an email saying i passed a first draft, so I'm still being considered which is good ehe! What are you applying for and where??
heh thank you! I'm just a bit stressed, so I'm really looking for comfort ahah! UCL replied already though in an email saying i passed a first draft, so I'm still being considered which is good ehe! What are you applying for and where??

Nottingham for Politics and Politics & American Studies, and York, Birmingham and UEA for Politics, or Political Science as Bham calls it. I've got 4/5 offers now, waiting on York, who are taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Nottingham for Politics and Politics & American Studies, and York, Birmingham and UEA for Politics, or Political Science as Bham calls it. I've got 4/5 offers now, waiting on York, who are taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I applied to Cambridge, Lse, ucl, york and royal holloway! I got rejected from Magdalene college in cambridge, but i got the offers from york and royal holloway! what course is it exactly you applied for at York? Mine was Politics with International Relations, offering 34 points! It looks like a really nice place!
I applied to Cambridge, Lse, ucl, york and royal holloway! I got rejected from Magdalene college in cambridge, but i got the offers from york and royal holloway! what course is it exactly you applied for at York? Mine was Politics with International Relations, offering 34 points! It looks like a really nice place!

Really? It looks awful to me, I hate the CLASP design unis, like UEA and York, but I put them down because they were the last two unis I would be willing to go to. Ah LSE! Dayum, I wanted to apply there so bad, but chose not to risk it. And it's Cambridge's loss anyway. They let idiots like Nick Griffin in FFS :smile:

I applied for Politics L200 because the course allowed more freedom in comparison to the Politics with IR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending