Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for IR from Exeter!
    York vs Exeter, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintMunchies)
    I'm going stir crazy waiting for this Leeds response on Politics and Parliamentary Studies! >.<
    Have you got a response for pps yet? Got my rejection letter yday was absolutely gutted :-( but on the plus side they offered me BA politics.instead, which is great just not the same :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydia04)
    Have you got a response for pps yet? Got my rejection letter yday was absolutely gutted :-( but on the plus side they offered me BA politics.instead, which is great just not the same :-(
    I rang on the day they were sending them out to ask them about something else, only for them to tell me that I hadn't been rejected. Which unfortunately is not the same as a Interview Offer...

ReputationRep:
    How good is Lancaster for Politics and IR? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to change to a Politics course through UCAS Extra.

Wouldn't say I've got much extra curricular political stuff (as I got journalistic experience at this was/still is kind of what I wanted to do).

Do have ABB at A-Level, in Politics, Economics and English respectively - these subjects seem pretty relevant to politics anyway!

Just praying there's some decent courses available and that I can get a place somewhere! Really could do with some luck.

ReputationRep:
    if you could choose between Aberdeen, Stirling and Dundee for IR, where would you go and why would you go there? Are there any students around, who are studying IR at any of those Uni's? If yes, why did you choose that Uni? Help would be very much appreciatet as I am unable to come to Scotland at the moment, so I can't go to any of the visiting days

ReputationRep:
    Anyone has accepted an offer for international relations courses at Westminster? (or at least going to the open day)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Can anyone give me some advice. I have offers from:

1 Birmingham- BA IR with Political Science
    2 Exeter- BA International Relations
    3 Lancaster- BA Politics with IR

What dou you think I should choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    Cambridge- St Catz - PPS - Rejection
    Birmingham University - Political Science - Unconditional
    Sheffield University - Politics and IR- Unconditional
    York University - Politics and IR - Not heard yet
    LSE - Government - Not heard yet

How is everyone?
    University of Manchester-Politics and International Relations - Rejection
    University of Birmingham- International Relations- Conditional
    University of Exeter- International Relations- Conditional
    University of York- Politics with IR- Conditional
    University of Sussex- Politics and IR- Not heard yet

My top 2 unis are York and Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Applied through Extra to Liverpool for Politics & Communication Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    York is probably my top uni but I haven't heard from them yet, a lot of people are starting to hear and I am worried I really want to go there and it is so annoying.
    I know how you feel. Maybe not exactly because obvioulsy you applied much earlier than me. But York is my top choice too and I was really sceptical about it. I actually got the offer yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes...
    Cheer up! We both applied to Birmingham too... and they gave us both offers. I sincerely hope the same will happen with York as well.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I know these questions come up frequently but bear with me please

I have gotten unconditionals from Nottingham (International Relations & Global Issues - 1 year abroad), Sheffield (International Relations and Politics) and Edinburgh (International Relations). I have not visited any of the places (I plan to though) but i wonder which is consider the most prestigious if I plan to pursue an international career?I have read up a little on these universities but I still don't seem to get any real clarification.

So, which of these is considered the most prestigious (especially if I plan to pursue an international career)? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djgoebbels)
    I know these questions come up frequently but bear with me please

I have gotten unconditionals from Nottingham (International Relations & Global Issues - 1 year abroad), Sheffield (International Relations and Politics) and Edinburgh (International Relations). I have not visited any of the places (I plan to though) but i wonder which is consider the most prestigious if I plan to pursue an international career?I have read up a little on these universities but I still don't seem to get any real clarification.

So, which of these is considered the most prestigious (especially if I plan to pursue an international career)? Thank you.
    Personally I would say Nottingham because of the year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just got it all

St.Andrews - Unsuccessful
    Edinburgh - Unsuccessful
    York - Unconditional
    Aberdeen - Unconditional
    Aberystwyth - Unconditional

I know it may be a strange combinations since my lack of knowledge of UK unis, since Im a foreigner!

Got no clue where to go, any care to help me a little bit Would very much appreciate it!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorre)
    Hi I just got it all

St.Andrews - Unsuccessful
    Edinburgh - Unsuccessful
    York - Unconditional
    Aberdeen - Unconditional
    Aberystwyth - Unconditional

I know it may be a strange combinations since my lack of knowledge of UK unis, since Im a foreigner!

Got no clue where to go, any care to help me a little bit Would very much appreciate it!"
    York is by far the most prestigious of the three if that's what's important to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    York is by far the most prestigious of the three if that's what's important to you.

thanks a lot for the answer, well Im not sure what Im after, probably the best education I can get in combination with prestige etc.

So what it seems is like I should go to York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    I wouldn't say by far. Aberystwyth is very renowned for IR (it's the oldest IR course in the world). I believe is Aberdeen is good for IR aswell. But yes, overall York is the best university of the three.

I would however not make the decision entirely based on prestige. I knew I couldn't take living in small villages (aber, warwick, durham, st andrews etc.) for 3/4 years so I chose not to apply to those.
    Choose which place you think you would enjoy spending your next 3/4 years. The "prestige" between those three isn't that significant.

Lycka till

ReputationRep:
    Tack!

Well I guess I end up in York then, since I don't actually care much for anything but the academics. Thanks for helping me making up my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djgoebbels)
    I wouldn't say by far. Aberystwyth is very renowned for IR (it's the oldest IR course in the world). I believe is Aberdeen is good for IR aswell. But yes, overall York is the best university of the three.
    True, but generally research strength of departments are more relevant to post-grads/PHD students than undergraduates.
    For a typical employer who isn't going to know research scores from each department at each university, an undergraduate degree from York will be more impressive than one from Aberystwyth or one from Aberdeen. Especially if you're planning on working abroad, employers are more likely to have heard of York than the other two.

But of course, prestige isn't everything!

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide between Durham (Josephine Butler) PoliticsBA AAA or LSE Government and HistoruBSc AAB.... they're both great unis but both totally different. Just wondering what would be the best for all round experience and for also for getting a job in politics after i graduate.. any advice would be helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.