Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Instructor wants me to pay additional £75 for test! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have my test this tuesday, I've already paid the £65ish booking fee. However last week, my instructor said that I need to pay another £75 to get the car insured on the test day, as insurance isn't included in the £24 I pay for an hour lesson (which I've been having twice a week).

Do you guys think this is fair? I have never ever heard of it, everyone I've asked said their instructors never did that and he just told me about it right now. But I don't know what to do as he's insisting I need to pay it to sit the test. I can't cancel as I need to take the test (my theory runs out soon and I want to do it before the practical test changes soon).

My instructor, although a very good instructor, who gets people passed quickly has a reputation of ripping people of and being a bit dodgy with money and my cousin left on bad terms with him due to arguments about money.

So what do u guys think I should do?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Sounds dodgy, especially at such short notice. Ask him to show you his insurance documentation that proves that the car's not insured during the test, and refuse to pay if he doesn't (or if it doesn't prove it).

ReputationRep:
    that's standard with any instructor

ReputationRep:
    i had that, and i new the person who was doing the instructing when i was learning

ReputationRep:
    I never had to pay for any additional insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I never had that sounds dodgy to me!

I just paid the test fee and that was it, got the car and my instructor sat in the waiting room whilst I did the test.

I paid much less than you per hour too for lessons.... something seems up with the extra charge.

ReputationRep:
    i paid something like that for the test, which included an hour beforehand.

you may think it's steep but them's his rules, so either pay up or find another instructor sharpish (or haggle, but don't expect much).

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay for 3 lessons worth for my test, an hour beforehand and then he charged me 2 hours for the use of the car for the test, was about £68, then paid for the test seperately.

ReputationRep:
    never heard of this and im sure loads of people will be complaining about this if it were common but still never heard about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    I never had that sounds dodgy to me!

I just paid the test fee and that was it, got the car and my instructor sat in the waiting room whilst I did the test.

I paid much less than you per hour too for lessons.... something seems up with the extra charge.
    I should add to that I had to pay 2 hours of lessons for my test, but that included one hour before hand to brush up on anything, and an hour for the test itself, which was £18... not £75.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay for 2 hours' of lessons (an hour before the test and the time of the test itself) on top of the cost of the actual test. 2 hours=£48.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay for an hours lesson before the test, then rent the car for an hour at half the usual lesson price.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well i paid £68 for the test. Then i had to pay £24 per hour for the car+instructer, as i had an hour lesson before and then another £24 to use it for the test.But at the end when i actually passed, and she dropped me off at home, I totally forgot to pay her the £48 because i was way happy about me passing, she forgot too. hehe

ReputationRep:
    So your insured to drive in his car for lessons but not for the test? :huh

pretty ******* stupid, he's blatantly rippin you off..

ReputationRep:
    Complete BULL !!!!!! Instructors policies cover them for tuition AND tests. Yes, you'll have to pay to rent him (or her) and their car for the duration including any practise or tuition you choose to do prior, but additional premiums for extra insurance is a rip-off.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay for an hour before the test, and an hour on the test, but that is it.

If he has sprung this on you, with no chance to change instructor, as it is just before your test - ask for prove you have to pay more, if he can't prove it, see if you report them to the dsa.

ReputationRep:
    I paid the money for the test and then I paid for an hour before my test (£20) and then I paid an additional £20 for the use of the car during the test... It mightve been for insurance because as far as im aware my instructors car wasnt insured unless he was in it but I just thought it was for the use of the car cos no company is gonna let you use a car for free are they?!

ReputationRep:
    I never had to pay extra..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    I never had to pay for any additional insurance.
    Me neither.

ReputationRep:
    Don't pay it.

If the car isn't insured (according to him) then how have you been driving it legally this far? Has he charged you an insurance fee on every lesson too? Would the £24 fee mean driving uninsured on the day?

There's a chance he could be an illegal instructor whose car isn't insured, but he's covering his back for the test. Either way, that's not it.

(Original post by 5t1g)
    that's standard with any instructor
    No, it isn't. Charging for the use of car is standard, but not a £75 fee for insurance on top of the £24 fee for the car hire. Instructors' cars are insured as a matter of course and this is always paid for in advance by the instructor. The cost is covered by the lesson fees charged.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.