Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I will be applying for Medicine at Cambridge as an overseas student! ( Chinese )
    I really want to apply to Christ's college but I have heard it's extremely competitive for international students there! Is it true that last year 25 students competed for 1 place?
    Christ's also quite famous
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am from Vietnam and applying to Christ's too

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't find that statistic at all surprising. There is a 7.5% government quota in place on international medical students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I wouldn't find that statistic at all surprising. There is a 7.5% government quota in place on international medical students.
    I know that but I didnt think it;s that competitive like 25:1

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed Christ's and their reply made me scared ! I dont know whether I should go for Christ's or not as my UMSs werent that good!

Hi,

Thank you for your email

At Christ's our quota is one overseas student per year. I will just let you know the process we followed this year. We de-selected from interview all applicants who, on the basis of their paper applications, we believed had little of no chance of being admitted to Cambridge in the end. Those we called for interview averaged c. 92% at AS Level across their three most relevant or best subjects and 6 A*s at GCSE. A significant number of those interviewed also had exceptional references: in some subjects, virtually all the places we were able to allocate this year went to applicants who were described by their teachers or lecturers as being among the brightest students they had taught. It is important to note that BMAT and interviews play a significant part in the admissions process, very academically able candidates will score 5.0+ and that the BMAT forms an important aspect of the admissions criteria to assess scientific aptitude and abilities relevant to the study of Medicine along with UMS etc. There are details about BMAT results publicly available at http://www.admissionstests.cambridge.../about#Results Applicants who received offers from Chirst's averaged c. 95% at AS Level and 7.5 A*s at GCSE. In the most competitive subjects profiles were even stronger. Students joining us this year actually achieved 2-3 A* in the summer exams (average 2.8).

I hope this gives you the information you need.
    Edit/Delete Message

ReputationRep:
    What!?? That's ridiculously high!
    I am thinking of changing to Newnham college for Medicine but it's not less competitive
    The admission officer said they received around 27 female overseas students for 1 place!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll see ratios like that at all the colleges. Oxford's website says they received 202 apps and made 4 offers. The ratio is probably much better at less internationally reputable med schools - wasn't one even in clearing for internationals?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting!Where did you find that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninanguyen)
    Interesting!Where did you find that?
    I think just about every UK med school's website will inform you of that fact.

ReputationRep:
    I think just about every UK med school's website will inform you of that fact.
    Ah,I haven't looked at one!I'm an economist myself but was just curious to find out:p: Thanks for that info

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.