Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently studing 4 A2 Maths, Futher Maths, Physics & Economics. Th problem is Economics seem unrelated to the course I'm applying for which Is G100 Mathematics at Cambridge. Also I'm finding Economics a bit boring now at A2. Would you suggest me to drop or not?

A-LEVELS:
    Maths - 586/600 UMS
    - C1 92%
    - C2 96%
    - C3 98%
    - C4 100%
    - S1 100%
    - M1 100%
    Physics - 290/300 UMS
    Economics - 193/200 UMS
    Futher Maths - ???/600 UMS

If it helps AS Add Futher Maths - ???/300 UMS
    - With M3, M4 & D2 problably

GCSE - 3.5A*, 2A, 1B & 2C with Discintion in CIDA???

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackey123321)
    Hello, I'm currently studing 4 A2 Maths, Futher Maths, Physics & Economics. Th problem is Economics seem unrelated to the course I'm applying for which Is G100 Mathematics at Cambridge. Also I'm finding Economics a bit boring now at A2. Would you suggest me to drop or not?

A-LEVELS:
    Maths - 586/600 UMS
    - C1 92%
    - C2 96%
    - C3 98%
    - C4 100%
    - S1 100%
    - M1 100%
    Physics - 290/300 UMS
    Economics - 193/200 UMS
    Futher Maths - ???/600 UMS

If it helps AS Add Futher Maths - ???/300 UMS
    - With M3, M4 & D2 problably

GCSE - 3.5A*, 2A, 1B & 2C with Discintion in CIDA???

Thanks!
    I got in with 3As at A2 2 years ago. I'm doing bio natural science. My AS were biology, chemistry, maths, english literature. I dropped english literature because it wasn't related and let me do more science reading. If you're not enjoying economics then I wouldn't keep doing it just to get an extra grade.

Most colleges are happy to take people with just 3 I think, although I have found it to be quite rare. I have a friend at Selwyn who just did. I'm at St Catharine's btw.

Hope that was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the offer is generally A*AA so they'll let you in with 3 A2s. A friend of mine got in with 3 AS which she continued to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for both of your comments.

If I don't take 4 would Cambridge under look me as i don't have great GCSEs. Also, if i dropped economics but do AS additional further.... would that even it up?

Also, you know anything about cambridge that Interview & STEP id much more important and the cut offs for interviewed peoples?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you dropped Economics A2 but took up Additional Further Maths AS then it'd really make no difference. If you dropped Economics A2 outright and didn't replace it with anything then it wouldn't have a negative impact on your application; it just wouldn't add the same boost that doing a fourth "slot" (i.e. AS AFM or A2 Econ) would -- although that in itself wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you made up for it with something else. Doing AS AFM would be beneficial -- you need to do as much maths as you can really, and it would definitely help with STEP, so I'd certainly recommend that. [For Maths, they don't give a crap about being "well-rounded", they just want machines.]

You'll almost definitely get an interview with those grades, and looking at your Maths UMS marks it's likely you'd get an offer. Your offer would probably be A*AA in M/FM/Phys and 1,1 in STEP II/III. STEP is the hardest part of the offer, and almost half of all offer-holders fail to meet it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You Very Much!

My main problem was if I would get an offer if I did 3 A2, and you've answered that. I probably would like to have a go at M3 (already self-taught) and M4, and even then I think I'll still get time to do Interview Prep., STEP etc... because Economics is quite 'Art-ie' i.e. time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    Your exams will be after the cambridge interview, so keep it up and then doss about in it if you dont need it for your offer.

Three subjects is definetly a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    I only did 3 A2s and I got an offer.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.