This discussion is closed.
DavidBrent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i have just read this on the Cambridge admissions website:

Matriculation requirements
These are the minimum entrance requirements for all candidates regardless of course and age, designed to ensure you have had a sufficiently broad general education.

Qualifications are required in five subjects:
• English, a language other than English, an approved mathematical or scientific subject, and two other approved subjects.
• For candidates with GCSE and GCE, at least two of these subjects must be at GCE A level; the others in GCSE at grades A, B or C.

If there are good reasons why you expect not to be able to satisfy the matriculation requirements, you should consult the admissions tutor of your preferred college, to find out if they would be able to ask the University to waive the requirement. However, you should note that most applicants will be expecting to achieve high grades in three or four subjects at GCE A level or the equivalent.

Does this mean if you do not have an A-level in Maths or Science, then you cannot go on to study at Cambridge university, even though you are applying for something like English?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DavidBrent)

Does this mean if you do not have an A-level in Maths or Science, then you cannot go on to study at Cambridge university, even though you are applying for something like English?
GCSE requirements are sufficient.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
U shouldnt be applying to cambridge if u dont realise that these are requirements at GCSE level. My friend is studying English at Girton and he didnt do any of that stuff at A-level - he got 3 A's in History English and Economics
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

These are the minimum entrance requirements for all candidates regardless of course and age, designed to ensure you have had a sufficiently broad general education.

• English, a language other than English, an approved mathematical or scientific subject, and two other approved subjects.
• For candidates with GCSE and GCE, at least two of these subjects must be at GCE A level; the others in GCSE at grades A, B or C.

If there are good reasons why you expect not to be able to satisfy the matriculation requirements, you should consult the admissions tutor of your preferred college, to find out if they would be able to ask the University to waive the requirement. However, you should note that most applicants will be expecting to achieve high grades in three or four subjects at GCE A level or the equivalent.

What????

Cant u read?

it says u need a GCSE in English, a foreign language, A Maths/Science, and 2 other approved subjects.

Where on earth did u get the "Need Maths/Science at A-Level or else....." business from????

LOL!!!
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
What????

Cant u read?

it says u need a GCSE in English, a foreign language, A Maths/Science, and 2 other approved subjects.

Where on earth did u get the "Need Maths/Science at A-Level or else....." business from????

LOL!!!

Actually, it later says 'at least two of these must be at GCE A level', so it's not only GCSEs that are specified. But since these are only two, then you can take them from the 'two other approved subjects', ie academic ones, so no, you don't need maths or a science at A level for all Cambridge degrees
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They mean you can have English and a science to at least GCSE level, and at least two subjects at A-Level. So that's at least three GCSEs and two A-Levels, any two of these five have to be English and a science.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Actually, it later says 'at least two of these must be at GCE A level', so it's not only GCSEs that are specified. But since these are only two, then you can take them from the 'two other approved subjects', ie academic ones, so no, you don't need maths or a science at A level for all Cambridge degrees
it says 2 GCE A-Levels that are approved, yes.

Basically, 2 academic A-Levels is the requirement.

btw: You need a C grade or above in French, didn't know that

jesus, i messed about in French for 5 years, thats scary now i read this!
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
btw: You need a C grade or above in French, didn't know that

jesus, i messed about in French for 5 years, thats scary now i read this!
Course, it doesn't have to be French!
It's good being in school in Wales - no need to do a foreign language GCSE! (I was never very keen on French)
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

No don't be stupid
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
No don't be stupid
ditto. this person obviously strugles to read.

GCSE's in Eng, foreign lang, Math/Science and 2 others, above Grade C needed.

plus, 2 academic subjects at A-Level.........

its made perfectly clear...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads