Turn on thread page Beta

Really stuck with choices. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm a year 13 student at the moment, taking my A2 Levels, hoping to apply for dentistry in a couple of days.

My grades are:
    GCSES - 5A*'s 6A's 1B
    AS -
    Chem-B, modules = B B, CW=A (Resitting both mods)
    Bio-B, modules=A B, CW=D (Resitting mod2 + CW)
    Maths-A, modules=A* A* A
    Phys-A (dropped) modules- A A CW=B, got very lucky with this exam, I hate physics!

Predicted - A* Maths, A Chemistry, Not sure about Bio, should be an A.

Work exp - 2 weeks abroad in ortho, 1 week in NHS, 1 week in private (Dental implants!)

UKCAT - 670 avg, Of the top of my mind... VR580 QR800 AR650 DA630

Thinking of Liverpool, Manchester, and not sure on the others (Any ideas? What have I got the grades/ukcat for?)

I've rang up Kings, but that seems very competitive, Barts also. I think Sheffields cut off point exceeds my UKCAT score, and I haven't got the AS's needed for BHAM.

I really don't want to take a gap year out, as Uni fee's are going up next year and various other factors, do I have a decent chance of getting in this year? (2011 entry)

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donni10)
    Hi there,
    I'm a year 13 student at the moment, taking my A2 Levels, hoping to apply for dentistry in a couple of days.

My grades are:
    GCSES - 5A*'s 6A's 1B
    AS -
    Chem-B, modules = B B, CW=A (Resitting both mods)
    Bio-B, modules=A B, CW=D (Resitting mod2 + CW)
    Maths-A, modules=A* A* A
    Phys-A (dropped) modules- A A CW=B, got very lucky with this exam, I hate physics!

Predicted - A* Maths, A Chemistry, Not sure about Bio, should be an A.

Work exp - 2 weeks abroad in ortho, 1 week in NHS, 1 week in private (Dental implants!)

UKCAT - 670 avg, Of the top of my mind... VR580 QR800 AR650 DA630

Thinking of Liverpool, Manchester, and not sure on the others (Any ideas? What have I got the grades/ukcat for?)

I've rang up Kings, but that seems very competitive, Barts also. I think Sheffields cut off point exceeds my UKCAT score, and I haven't got the AS's needed for BHAM.

I really don't want to take a gap year out, as Uni fee's are going up next year and various other factors, do I have a decent chance of getting in this year? (2011 entry)

Thank you.
    I believe Sheffield's UKCAT cut-off was around 660 last year, so you should be fine with them!
    Your UKCAT is very good - probably good enough for all the uni's.

With your AS levels, it may be easier to take a year out and apply with A2 levels, BUT if you are predicted all A's then you stand a good chance!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess, but I really don't want to take a year out.

Will AS grades affect my application that much?

As I know Liverpool don't look at AS Grades, and some people say they didn't declare their AS grades when applying for Dent/Med.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    you are mistaken i think

sheffield cut off for 2010 entry was 640 - 642

my friend got an interview with 645 and they went down to about 640

i spoke to admissions specifically and they said they look at grades personal statement reference etc and then they put the top 300 - 350 ukcat scores forward for interview

so it depends how everyone else has done in the cycle

also barts cut off was 637.5 to be exact. The admissions woman again told me that. BARTS medicine and dentistry cut offs are way different

(Original post by gene-ius)
    I believe Sheffield's UKCAT cut-off was around 660 last year, so you should be fine with them!
    Your UKCAT is very good - probably good enough for all the uni's.

With your AS levels, it may be easier to take a year out and apply with A2 levels, BUT if you are predicted all A's then you stand a good chance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still confused!

PS Done, Everything has to be in, in 2 days time! (School deadline)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donni10)
    I'm still confused!

PS Done, Everything has to be in, in 2 days time! (School deadline)
    So what did you go for in the end?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't made up final choices yet, Got 2 days to decide.

I think Liverpool, Manchester, and maybe Bristol + Leeds :P

I'm really not sure

ReputationRep:
    I looked at some of the ratios for applicants/places, and it seems Bham, Sheffield, Leeds are very high, I'd probably avoid those.

However, I've still got 2 days, And I still haven't decided!

Liverpool + Manchester are definates for me, dunno how much chance I've got with them since most applicants will probably have 4 A's at AS.
    I'll put my head down this year, and try to get 3 A's though, as my predicted grades are that.

ReputationRep:
    go for cardiff or something, they are fair in admissions as they score every part of the application

(Original post by livin4theweekend)
    OMG this is freaky. i got 5a*s and 5 as at gcse(similar) and 2as and 2bs at as(similar) and average 660 in ukcat! (similar) and don't know which choices wud be realistic!!! (similar) LOL i wud appreciate it soooo much donni10 if u replied!!! what did u decide in the end??????? i was thinking bham but then u say the as levels arent enough???? so im thinkin machester, shieffield.......dunno what else! pleeeeeeeeeease help. ive got til friday to decide!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    bristol is a good for dentistry

apparently bham reject a lot of people after interview

i rang them and they were so rude. They are stuck up.

thanks donni. same, im gonna try vvvvv hard. so what possibilities are left for 3rd and 4th choice? that basically only leaves bristol and cardiff????? right???? what u doing for back up donni10?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, seems like Bham is harder, Bristol I think we're ok with our AS grades, Gonna ring up tomorrow and ask.

ReputationRep:
    go for liverpool, they are more fair in admissions

but you have to have 7As at GCSE, that is their requirement, otherwise you are fine.

Sooo did u ring up????????? what did they say? Im defs applying for manchester and 2 others out of shieffield/bristol and k'pool. which one out of those 3 u think i shudnt go for???

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get a chance to ring up today,
    Was polishing off my personal statement.

I'm probably going to go with Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    unis only look at predicted grades though right and not as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y20)
    unis only look at predicted grades though right and not as?
    Yes, they look mainly at predictions, as many people don't declare their AS levels.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.