Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if not when are you starting? I am starting next weeeeek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_S)
    if not when are you starting? I am starting next weeeeek
    I have registration on the week beginning the 4th of October, but if you take into account the fact that most first weeks, which I assume is the following week, are for introductions and what not rather than actual lessons I do not start proper until the 18th. Means I will have been in Bristol for five weeks before lessons begin, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I have registration on the week beginning the 4th of October, but if you take into account the fact that most first weeks, which I assume is the following week, are for introductions and what not rather than actual lessons I do not start proper until the 18th. Means I will have been in Bristol for five weeks before lessons begin, lol.
    Owh I will be starting on the same date (4th Oct) and Imperial had already given me a list of books to read LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    Owh I will be starting on the same date (4th Oct) and Imperial had already given me a list of books to read LOL!
    I contacted the new programme leader and he said that the released reading lists that I have seen were an error and might not be accurate so I am still waiting for mine. I am still waiting to see which units I am doing too. Bristol is not at all well-prepared!

ReputationRep:
    I contacted the new programme leader and he said that the released reading lists that I have seen were an error and might not be accurate so I am still waiting for mine. I am still waiting to see which units I am doing too. Bristol is not at all well-prepared!
    Owh they gave you a reading list too? Was quite surprised to get it honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    Owh they gave you a reading list too? Was quite surprised to get it honestly.
    Well no, actually. There is a part of the Bristol website where lecturers can upload their reading and programme lists, and it just so happened that the only ones that were uploaded where relevant to me! However, I contacted the new guy because my core unit in the first term had not been uploaded and he said that was because it was being finalised (yesterday) and a reading list etc. should be available today. But he said that the other uploaded reading lists for the other core units were an error as the courses had not been finalised, which means - if I had start reading any of them (:p:) - it might have been a waste of time.

I have a reading list for a unit on Dostoevsky and another unit, but I do not know whether I am taking them yet or not.

ReputationRep:
    I got one of the books that I am meant to be reading..starting reading it then I left it...I just can't be bothered :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little miffed that unlike freshers and taught masters, my uni has not given PhDs welcome packs. Everything is hidden in the maze of the website: all the IT dates, the registration times, how to access the student record, non-department orientation schedules, research module details, etc. Some on the Department website which you wouldn't know about unless you continuously check. No reading lists, not even for the courses I'm supposed to be teaching! I'm wondering if this is some sort of test for new PhDs. Give them no info, see if they can find it themselves . I'm probably a super-keener, but I swear the two other unis I've been to have posted welcome packs before arrival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaltzvWendt)
    I'm a little miffed that unlike freshers and taught masters, my uni has not given PhDs welcome packs. Everything is hidden in the maze of the website: all the IT dates, the registration times, how to access the student record, non-department orientation schedules, research module details, etc. Some on the Department website which you wouldn't know about unless you continuously check. No reading lists, not even for the courses I'm supposed to be teaching! I'm wondering if this is some sort of test for new PhDs. Give them no info, see if they can find it themselves . I'm probably a super-keener, but I swear the two other unis I've been to have posted welcome packs before arrival.

awww that sounds hard..

ReputationRep:
    That must suck. I hope things get better and you have a good PhD :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_S)
    awww that sounds hard..
    (Original post by Uncle Vassilev)
    That must suck. I hope things get better and you have a good PhD
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm just being impatient and things will fall into place once I'm physically there tomorrow. Hope you all have a good masters experience, as well :woo: !

ReputationRep:
    I got my acceptance letter yesterday so just waiting for everything to come through! I only have to do 1 module and a dissertation as I have half a masters anyway from my PGCE.. I'm working full time and doing my masters p/time over 2 years, 3 months to do my research methods module.. and 18 months to write my dissertation. Really looking forward to starting! Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I got my acceptance letter yesterday so just waiting for everything to come through! I only have to do 1 module and a dissertation as I have half a masters anyway from my PGCE.. I'm working full time and doing my masters p/time over 2 years, 3 months to do my research methods module.. and 18 months to write my dissertation. Really looking forward to starting! Good luck everyone
    I am tempted to apply for a PGCE (post-compulsory rather than primary like you though) at the IOE. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing four modules and a dissertation..two modules in the first term and the other two in the second term..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm just being impatient and things will fall into place once I'm physically there tomorrow. Hope you all have a good masters experience, as well :woo: !

Good luck please let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I am tempted to apply for a PGCE (post-compulsory rather than primary like you though) at the IOE. How did you find it?
    I LOVED it! The university is brilliant (slightly disorganised at time, but to be honest from what I've heard most PGCEs are extremely badly organised and I never had any major problems with the IOE.. the lecturers are top class!) and it's also a really recognised uni in terms of helping you get a job, most people are very impressed if you go to IOE.

ReputationRep:
    Officially have my first class this coming Wednesday, but when to register on Monday. I did my undergrad there so there was no need to hang around to become familiar, but it certainly was great to be back. I've been working full-time since I graduated in June 2009, so to be involved in academia again has given my brain a new lease of life. My marketing job was making it soggy and retarded!

I'm really excited to get back in to classes. I have two modules in Autumn term, and 1 in Spring term with my Dissertation. So I generally have 2 days at uni, and 1 day in London researching for my disseration, while still working 2 days a week in said rubbish marketing job. A healthy balance overall, and a nice change from the 5 day a week 9-5 grind!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    TWO DAYS

Does anyone know what the induction involves? As with Haloface, I did my undergrad here so I'm not gonna stick around further than getting my timetable really.

*crosses fingers* Funding really needs to come through... Co-op said fifteen days about ten days ago so hopefully I'll get word this week. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    TWO DAYS

Does anyone know what the induction involves? As with Haloface, I did my undergrad here so I'm not gonna stick around further than getting my timetable really.

*crosses fingers* Funding really needs to come through... Co-op said fifteen days about ten days ago so hopefully I'll get word this week. Yay!

coool I hope you get ur funding!!!!

I won't be sticking around aswell as I undergraduated from the same uni..I have no idea what the introduction involves..I'll have mine just before the lecture...just got my timetable through the portal and I'll be only going in on wednesday for 4 hours...that's it :eek: I have a part-time teaching job and will be working twice a week..and just studying/reading for masters the other days :woo:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.