Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    recently i bought a pair of tickets from a guy of Gumtree.com.
    i tranferred £40 into his account and he said he'd shipped then by Recorded Delivery around 1/2pm.
    that was on wednesday and its now friday and they're not here yet and the gig is tonight!
    he's not answering my calls or replying to my texts so i don't have the tracking number.
    my post doesn't usually come until about 1pm and its 11:30am at the moment so i'm still crossing my fingers.
    basically my question is:
    If my tickets don't come, can I pursue the matter and get my money back?
    i have a lot of his details.
    his mobile number, his city, his account number for his bank, his sort code...
    any advice is appreciated, thanks
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    post came: no tickets.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by xStaceyy)
    hey guys,
    recently i bought a pair of tickets from a guy of Gumtree.com.
    i tranferred £40 into his account and he said he'd shipped then by Recorded Delivery around 1/2pm.
    that was on wednesday and its now friday and they're not here yet and the gig is tonight!
    he's not answering my calls or replying to my texts so i don't have the tracking number.
    my post doesn't usually come until about 1pm and its 11:30am at the moment so i'm still crossing my fingers.
    basically my question is:
    If my tickets don't come, can I pursue the matter and get my money back?
    i have a lot of his details.
    his mobile number, his city, his account number for his bank, his sort code...
    any advice is appreciated, thanks
    xxx

Paying someone directly into there Bank is not wise you dont have many ways of getting a refund if they refuse. Best to get a statment of the transaction or transfer and ask your bank to get your money back stating he didnt send you anything. This can take a week or a month unfortunately.

Next time you wanna Google Checkout, Paypal or Moneybookers, they all offer more security and are quicker at getting your cash back.

ReputationRep:
    Over the next few days watch your bank details if money is withdrawn from your account without your permission, close that account and transfer the money to a new account, i hope it doesnt have to come to that.

Your bank may consider other options.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    i tranferred £40 into his account
    :facepalm:

Learn your lesson and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Recorded delivery doesn't come with the normal post. Go have a chat with your bank.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there is a valid proof of postage, he could argue that it is the royalmail's problem, which was outwith his his reasonable control - expensive mistake as it may be, in the future use Special Delivery when the item needs to get there safely, and timely manner.

You could read this, if you have the tracking code:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=78000733

Hope you sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Special Deliveries are delivered separately to normal mail (in that they need a signature) Recorded deliveries (signed for) do however turn up in normal mail. (sometimes at work they do :confused: )

I'd strongly recommend using PayPal in future or even collecting tickets in person at the venue ( I do this).
    Sorry OP but you've probably been shafted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Recorded delivery doesn't come with the normal post. Go have a chat with your bank.
    Sadly there is little the bank could do, once the money has been transferred away, it's not possible to reverse it. Most likely the seller just choose a inapproiate method of postage; has to stoop pretty low, to leaving bank detail for the sake's of 40 quid.

ReputationRep:
    post came: no tickets.
    Did you use Paypal? If so, you can claim for a refund. Or ring customer service up.

ReputationRep:
    I've never used gumtree, but does it work like ebay in that you can report to the website itself for non receipt of goods purchased?

ReputationRep:
    Recorded delivery comes with the normal post.
    Tracked delivery does not come with normal post.

ReputationRep:
    Gumtree is designed for local sale when meeting face to face, it's so dodgy doing it using bank transfers and stuff, that's what ebay is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Gumtree is designed for local sale when meeting face to face, it's so dodgy doing it using bank transfers and stuff, that's what ebay is for.
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt recommend buying tickets so close to the gig like that.

You should have asked for them to be send via Special delivery, which is guaranteed for next day delivery.

I would also take care using Gumtree, I've heard about lots of fraud there lately.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Next time use viagogo :beard:.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell did you not think this was dodgy when you agreed the deal?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you should always use eg paypal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Paying someone directly into there Bank is not wise you dont have many ways of getting a refund if they refuse. Best to get a statment of the transaction or transfer and ask your bank to get your money back stating he didnt send you anything. This can take a week or a month unfortunately.

Next time you wanna Google Checkout, Paypal or Moneybookers, they all offer more security and are quicker at getting your cash back.
    This.
    Also check you bank balance over the next few days and get a bank statement to make sure the person doesnt take any more money from your account.

ReputationRep:
    my mum called him and threatened to take police action.
    the guy said he will refund my account before 3pm today.
    i've learned my lesson though.
    although i don't get to see Bring Me The Horizon tonight :'(
    i'm actually so gutted.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.