Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

1st year student. Changing from history to chemistry. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've just started university at Sheffield and am studying History, but I'm starting to have doubts over whether I chose the right degree course. My A-Levels were Maths, Chemistry, History & Physics (AS), so I have a heavy science background with my grades being AAAb.

The reason for my doubts stem from the realisation that I've always enjoyed history more as a hobby, as in I do outside reading in the subject and watch history programmes, but have never truly enjoyed being taught history. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed my A-Level chemistry course and was genuinely sad when it ended and thought 'I'll never be doing chemistry again'.

The offer for chemistry at Sheffield is ABB so I meet that, but as I applied for a subject so different to chemistry do you think they will question my motivation? Has anyone ever done something similar because I'm really confused. Further, I believe chemistry is a more well respected degree to history, so perhaps it would also be better for my future job prospects?

I'm just really confused at the moment so any tips from people who have changed course would be really appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Beatle)
    Hello,

I've just started university at Sheffield and am studying History, but I'm starting to have doubts over whether I chose the right degree course. My A-Levels were Maths, Chemistry, History & Physics (AS), so I have a heavy science background with my grades being AAAb.

The reason for my doubts stem from the realisation that I've always enjoyed history more as a hobby, as in I do outside reading in the subject and watch history programmes, but have never truly enjoyed being taught history. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed my A-Level chemistry course and was genuinely sad when it ended and thought 'I'll never be doing chemistry again'.

The offer for chemistry at Sheffield is ABB so I meet that, but as I applied for a subject so different to chemistry do you think they will question my motivation? Has anyone ever done something similar because I'm really confused. Further, I believe chemistry is a more well respected degree to history, so perhaps it would also be better for my future job prospects?

I'm just really confused at the moment so any tips from people who have changed course would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't think your motivation would be the problem. You'll probably have to see your current personal tutor as well as the admissions tutor in chemistry department so you can prove you're motivated enough (which, given your post, shouldn't be a problem). However, what might be a problem is whether they have any places left. Chemistry at Sheffield is well regarded and they didn't have any places in Clearing so a transfer may not be possible simply because the course may be full. All you can really do is contact the relevant people and see whether switching degrees is possible. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    I don't think your motivation would be the problem. You'll probably have to see your current personal tutor as well as the admissions tutor in chemistry department so you can prove you're motivated enough (which, given your post, shouldn't be a problem). However, what might be a problem is whether they have any places left. Chemistry at Sheffield is well regarded and they didn't have any places in Clearing so a transfer may not be possible simply because the course may be full. All you can really do is contact the relevant people and see whether switching degrees is possible. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice Went to the chemistry department today and they have literally 1 space, which I've taken. Now studying MChem Chemistry with perhaps the option to study abroad or in industry. Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's lucky! Enjoy

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.