Turn on thread page Beta

Rejected from Bournemouth and accepted Middlesex watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you check the league tables, you'll see Middlesex is not far from the relegation zone

ReputationRep:
    Thought so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Dani will succeed in journalism whatever - if you read her PS you would understand why - speaking of which now that the deadline's past why not post it onsite for a little while (and back up my blind faith with some evidence )
    I hope so its a tough business but shes off to a really good start if shes got decent work experience.
    One of my friends went to Bournmouth and hated it so you hopefully arent missing out on too much Dani!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    A lot of students also have grad bank loans. I havent had one but my friend did to get a car to further her job prospects and you have to pay quite a bit back per month whether you are earning or not.
    What you mean take out bank loans after they graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    If you check the league tables, you'll see Middlesex is not far from the relegation zone
    There are plenty of unis that have bad overall rankings but are rated either good or excellent for individual subjects, most unis have at least one subject that is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of unis that have bad overall rankings but are rated either good or excellent for individual subjects, most unis have at least one subject that is pretty good.
    Yeah i do agree with that, Hull is good for chem and couple of others but not much else

ReputationRep:
    Wanna see my personal statement....I dunno I stil think it's silly.. I also think that my personal reference was a bit blar cuz the guy who did it only knew me a month or so

ReputationRep:

What would you say are the most trustworthy league tables?

I use the Times tables and Guardian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Grade Student)
    What you mean take out bank loans after they graduate?
    When you get your student bank account, after you graduate it gets converted to a graduate account and you get offered the opportunity to take out a grad loan at a special grad interest rate (still a lot higher than a student loan). Most students when they leave uni have spent all the student loan and either need money to get started eg. a car, or to pay off the overdraft or just to tide them over so they take out a graduate loan. The bank have offered me up to £10,000 but seeing as I am doing a postgrad and will be at uni for another 2 yrs there is no point in taking it out because you have to start paying it back in installments straight away and i cant afford it and i dont want to get that much into debt if I can help it, I'll sell my car before I take out a grad loan.

Heres an example

http://www.lloydstsb.com/loans/graduate_loan.asp

ReputationRep:

Times go on teaching + research Guardian go on value added
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Wanna see my personal statement....I dunno I stil think it's silly.. I also think that my personal reference was a bit blar cuz the guy who did it only knew me a month or so
    It's got the best opening paragraph I've ever seen - for any subject at any uni....and I've seen more PSs than I'd like to remember. Most people manage to get in all the things from the checklist and a sliver of personality, your's just oozes with your personality and your enthusiasm for the subject/industry....something that is increasingly rare.

ReputationRep:

Sunday times league table for overall uni rankings but you cant forget the subject rankings which I think you can get in the times or Guardian. if you are looking for something different in your course the Virgin alternative guide is also good (if its still going).

Do the Independent still do rankings? They always used to be very detailed and good but I dont remember seeing them this year.

ReputationRep:
    *sniffles* thank you, that and on the group I'm on on Yahoo one of the band members in my favourite band has signed up and personally congratulated me!

ReputationRep:
    MY PERSONAL STATEMENT

It’s all about the headline. It’s about getting your point across in the most direct way you can. These personal statements are very good example of this, in just a few lines I have to get my message of why I want do a degree in Journalism across to my prospective universities. That is one of the reasons why I love to write, the challenge of putting over a complex thought or concept to a large audience of people and convey it in such a way everybody will understand it. As the great writer Hemingway once said, “My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.”
    My own personal experience of journalism started young, my dad used to write for a magazine and take me with him when he went to interview people, since then I have been fascinated with the industry. When I was 14 I was lucky enough to get a work experience placement at “News International” in Wapping. I got to work on the websites of “FiredUp.com”, “Revolver.com” and “Page3.com” as well as have a tour of the offices of “The Sun”, “News Of The World” and “The Times”, I have also recently been offered a day’s work experience at my local paper and I am currently waiting for news of work experience at the BBC.
    I pride myself on being well organised and thorough in my research. I have also developed many skills such as interview techniques and being able to see things from another perspective, a skill I have acquired through Sociology and Communication Studies, analytical skills through Film Studies and Media Studies and I have learnt about analysing and collating numerical data and factual evidence in Psychology. Although I have already completed three A-Levels and two AS Levels, I have taken a year out to study AS French, Sociology and Spanish. I did this in order to improve my grades and to give me a wider choice of qualifications as my previous subjects are all very similar with their syllabus as well the fact multiple languages would be an invaluable advantage to have when working in the area of communication.
    Some of my outside interests are music, politics, the Internet and reading. Music in particular is a great love of mine, I regularly attend “gigs” and concerts and have been an active member of the “Sum 41 Street Team” for over a year, this involves spreading publicity through flyers and posters to promote the band, I find it very fulfilling and enjoyable. Another one of my interests is the Internet, I contribute articles to a site dealing with issues such as “top-up fees” and other important student matters, which enjoy greatly and is helping to improve my knowledge of university for the future. I have a part time job waitressing at a local hotel which I do a few nights a week. It gives me a sense of my own independence and responsibility, I also help my mother at the local Red Cross during half terms and holidays cooking for the elderly and have also recently volunteered to sell Poppies for Remembrance Sunday throughout my town. Another activity of mine is being my tutor group representative for our college’s student council and regularly attend meetings to deal with concerns of the student body.
    I am thoughtful, organised and handle pressure well, I love to write and it is my ambition to do so, I believe I can bring many things to the courses I have selected and in turn can get a lot out of them as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm impressed its pretty individual for a personal statement, mine are always pretty dry cos I never know what to write it sells you well. Bournemouth dont know what they are missing.

ReputationRep:
    I think they realised I wouldn't to go anywhere that smells of fish

ReputationRep:
    Yeah maybe thats it. You dont need em anyway. Are you set on print journalism or does broadcast appeal too?

ReputationRep:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W32741417 is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations getting an offer. *Sigh* It was only yesterday you where making a mockery of one of your tutors for not sending it off.

ReputationRep:
    I do reckon however it was my reference that got me that rejection, he had known me what 2 months and in that time I had rebelled from doing numerous things...yeah that will win me points!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.