Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Leicester for many years, can't wait to get out, it's too dull for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    The people here are horrible. Just head over to Beaumont leys shopping centre (or lack of). Its Jeremy kyle show made into a shopping centre.
    what reason could you, as a student, ever have to go to beaumont leys shopping centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    what reason could you, as a student, ever have to go to beaumont leys shopping centre?
    The swimming pool, are you scared of the green flume? :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    the racism in leicester is variable. some parts are quite racist, e.g. mowmacre hill, new parks, and nearby places (generally the more mono-ethnic places). but if you're a student you're very unlikely to come across it. it's not very rich (it's pretty poor, tbf), but that means it's also not very expensive. there are a lot of places to drink and eat and shop in the city centre, which if you haven't lived there for 20 years probably comes off as really good but if you have just makes you want to die (but that's the same almost anywhere). there's a big sort of "alternative" scene here, lots of goths and emos and skaters and stuff and some of the stuff reflects that, especially if you go into the lanes which is full of little shops and is probably one of the best parts of leicester. there are a lot of good parks; victoria park is the best and it's right behind the leicester uni campus. i live near a really "studenty" area, which again has lots of little bars and restaurants and second hand bookshops and international places (a lot of eastern europeans moved into this area so there are a lot of polish/east european supermarkets; there's a really nice turkish coffee shop and stuff like that).

it's dingy and dirty and horrible in parts and i couldn't wait to get out of there, but it's a really good place to be a student. really.

edit: that post didn't say much about the atmosphere, no. but you can't really describe atmosphere? it's not like there is a feeling of a coiled spring of violent enoch-like rage waiting to boing out and send blood running down the streets. it's just a normal city really. feels quite small for its size. relatively safe. just normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    The swimming pool, are you scared of the green flume? :naughty:
    there are swimming pools elsewhere though. probably nearer. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    there are swimming pools elsewhere though. probably nearer. :dontknow:
    It's the best pool though! Waves!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Ooh gawd I miss the clock tower
    What foreigners? Approach you for what?
    Me and my friends saw Tamils on hunger strike protesting there once. They were being given free cereal. And several weeks later they were still there. Just less of them. We thought that they must have eaten each other.

How do you feel about the 'Jesus is a Muslim' guys? I always feel sad when I don't see them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    It's the best pool though! Waves!!
    lol i hate the waves. i'm trying to swim tbf i never bothered to go when a proper swim was on.

plus, i'm trying to get people out of having to go to beaumont leys here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Me and my friends saw Tamils on hunger strike protesting there once. They were being given free cereal. And several weeks later they were still there. Just less of them. We thought that they must have eaten each other.

How do you feel about the 'Jesus is a Muslim' guys? I always feel sad when I don't see them...
    i swear we must get more religious proselytisers in our city centre than any other city in england.

ReputationRep:
    lol i hate the waves. i'm trying to swim tbf i never bothered to go when a proper swim was on.

plus, i'm trying to get people out of having to go to beaumont leys here

lets face it, you dont go beaumont leys swimming pool for a leisurely swim, its more a fun thing.

ReputationRep:
    i swear we must get more religious proselytisers in our city centre than any other city in england.

Omg, the person rapping or something about jesus, a kind of grime-eskque format of preaching makes me want to cry.

ReputationRep:
    That is quite possible. It makes it interesting though.

Now I'm starting to fall all warm and fuzzy about Leicester when I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Now I'm starting to fall all warm and fuzzy about Leicester when I hate it.
    I'm starting to feel almost physically homesick!!

ReputationRep:
    I think there's always going to be racism in every town. I've never noticed it too much in the actual centre, but certain areas seem to be full of BNP mindset lowlifes - Beaumont Leys, Northfields etc. I love the fact I go to uni and work with people of all different ethnicities, and as I've lived in Leicester my whole life, I don't really notice the multicultural aspect anymore tbh.

That said, I find the city v.boring and can't wait to move away once I'm done with uni, somewhere warmer and with a beech preferably!

ReputationRep:
    What is the drum and bass or general electronic / dance scene like in Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    Having moved to Leicester to start at the uni just over a month ago, I can say that I think it's a lovely place, not intimidating at all. Good lively atmosphere everywhere.
    I wouldn't walk around in the city centre after dark by myself, but where can you do that really?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.