Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are you lucky enough to not need a job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi I am wondering how many people need to get jobs to be able to support themselves at uni, I am in a position where I do not need to get a job and wondered if others were as fortunate, one guy on my course had to work over 30-40 hours a week to pay his rent and all other stuff, I hardly ever saw him in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't need jobs to support themselves in uni.
    30-40 hours is counter productive.
    People who work 40 hour very rarely get a 1st.
    Ask for parental support or some sort of finance besides work.

ReputationRep:
    30-40 hours? Jesus Christ. What is he doing at Uni then? That's just a bit much.

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

I am addicted to shopping, especially shoes. Each pair is like £120 on average, so I can't keep going to my parents for money which I don't really need, so I gotta find me a lil hussle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)

I think he is having to repeat the second year along with a few others

quite a few people on my course have a job
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Easier said than done sometimes! Ha ha. I work whilst at Uni - my parents aren't able to offer any financial support but they earn over the threshold for maintainance grants so I work to gain a bit of extra money.

I'm lucky with my job though as it's very flexible and as I'm on a casual contract I can pretty much work whenever I want - full time in the holidays and one day a week during term time when my studies allow. It's a relatively well paid job and I love it so I can't complain! Even if I didn't need the money - I'd still work. It's my bit of sanity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africankween)
    30-40 hours? Jesus Christ. What is he doing at Uni then? That's just a bit much.

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

I am addicted to shopping, especially shoes. Each pair is like £120 on average, so I can't keep going to my parents for money which I don't really need, so I gotta find me a lil hussle.

he works at mcdonalds, he has to pay international fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africankween)

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

Women LOOOOVE shoes.They really need shoes.They need their shoes to walk to malls and shop for more shoes

ReputationRep:
    I get quite a bit of student loan and it helps to cover most things although I still have to supplement it with my own money. But I don't have a part-time job, really. Well, I do, but it's freelance writing, so I can do it any hour of the day whenever I fancy rather than having to go out and work at a restaurant or something.

But I think even if I could survive on the loan I'd want to work. I like using the loan money for uni stuff and my own money to supplement that plus buy myself stuff

Also I'd get bored only doing uni work!

ReputationRep:
    I dont need a job tbf. But ill like one, either paid or voluntary to gain experience

ReputationRep:
    TBH I havent needed to work since 2008 but I decided to start working again this year.

Not working is not generally a great idea as laziness sets in and having some sort of a structure to your daily activities can be very fulfilling.

I just dont mean getting paid work, I also mean volunteer and work experience type duties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    hi I am wondering how many people need to get jobs to be able to support themselves at uni, I am in a position where I do not need to get a job and wondered if others were as fortunate, one guy on my course had to work over 30-40 hours a week to pay his rent and all other stuff, I hardly ever saw him in lectures.
    well because my parents dont earn a lot i will get the maximum loans/grants and this will leave me with £90 a week , so i dont need a job but i will probably look for one anyway .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    Easier said than done sometimes! Ha ha. I work whilst at Uni - my parents aren't able to offer any financial support but they earn over the threshold for maintainance grants so I work to gain a bit of extra money.

I'm lucky with my job though as it's very flexible and as I'm on a casual contract I can pretty much work whenever I want - full time in the holidays and one day a week during term time when my studies allow. It's a relatively well paid job and I love it so I can't complain! Even if I didn't need the money - I'd still work. It's my bit of sanity!
    May I ask what it is? Incidentally, I am too a Warwick student. I didn't work in my first two years, but now have applied for 13 term jobs already.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rowzee)
    May I ask what it is? Incidentally, I am too a Warwick student. I didn't work in my first two years, but now have applied for 13 term jobs already.
    I work in Accountancy but in Bromsgrove (about half an hour up the motorway!). I worked there for a year before I came to Warwick so it wasn't a job I got at Uni. Are you looking for an SU job or anything? Are you based in Leam or Cov? Loads of my friends have just got themselves jobs in Leamington - mainly in supermarkets or restaurants really.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, I don't need a job while I'm at uni, my loan and savings would easily hold me over.

However, I think that unless you're studying something intensive and vocational, like medicine, it's pretty stupid to not work at uni. A big lame three year gap on your cv looks lazy, and part time work will give you the transferable skills, savings and social confidence to succeed in the graduate market. I think it looks highly sinister for a young adult to be unemployed for the entire time they're at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hardship fund? If you can prove that you're not wasting your money on non-essentials and you genuinely don't have enough money to pay the rent your uni should be able to help you out.

I worked in the summers but my workload was quite heavy and during term time I wouldn't have been able to juggle my course and a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Technically, I don't need a job while I'm at uni, my loan and savings would easily hold me over.

However, I think that unless you're studying something intensive and vocational, like medicine, it's pretty stupid to not work at uni. A big lame three year gap on your cv looks lazy, and part time work will give you the transferable skills, savings and social confidence to succeed in the graduate market. I think it looks highly sinister for a young adult to be unemployed for the entire time they're at uni.
    Same here. And I agree - even if it's just working for the uni or something. If I can't find a job for whatever reason, I'm going to have a lot of hours to fill! Plus, having a job will just give me peace of mind for when my degree's over and I know that at least I have something saved up, given how much debt I'm going to be in by the end...

ReputationRep:
    I hate work x

ReputationRep:
    My dad pays for my accommodation and tbh I'm pretty good with money so I don't need a job... plus I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to interviews and stuff, so :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really lucky,
    i live at home and travel to uni (rent free as long as i'm in educaiton and don't bother my parents for money) I think it's a more than fair deal, my student finance covers travel and everything and lasts all year, so i don't technically need a job. I volunteer at oxfam which i'm hoping will be good enough for my cv as part time work? I'm more worried about my lack of experience rather than money. But yeah i feel sorry for those having to work long hours whilst struggling i'd find it really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    I work in Accountancy but in Bromsgrove (about half an hour up the motorway!). I worked there for a year before I came to Warwick so it wasn't a job I got at Uni. Are you looking for an SU job or anything? Are you based in Leam or Cov? Loads of my friends have just got themselves jobs in Leamington - mainly in supermarkets or restaurants really.
    Ok, I see. I've been exploiting the Unitemps and SU job offers so far, not too keen on working somewhere not connected with the university as I will be away during the holidays and need the flexibility. I'm not in a dire need of a job but would gladly take one up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.