Turn on thread page Beta

are you lucky enough to not need a job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi I am wondering how many people need to get jobs to be able to support themselves at uni, I am in a position where I do not need to get a job and wondered if others were as fortunate, one guy on my course had to work over 30-40 hours a week to pay his rent and all other stuff, I hardly ever saw him in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't need jobs to support themselves in uni.
    30-40 hours is counter productive.
    People who work 40 hour very rarely get a 1st.
    Ask for parental support or some sort of finance besides work.

ReputationRep:
    30-40 hours? Jesus Christ. What is he doing at Uni then? That's just a bit much.

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

I am addicted to shopping, especially shoes. Each pair is like £120 on average, so I can't keep going to my parents for money which I don't really need, so I gotta find me a lil hussle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)

I think he is having to repeat the second year along with a few others

quite a few people on my course have a job
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Easier said than done sometimes! Ha ha. I work whilst at Uni - my parents aren't able to offer any financial support but they earn over the threshold for maintainance grants so I work to gain a bit of extra money.

I'm lucky with my job though as it's very flexible and as I'm on a casual contract I can pretty much work whenever I want - full time in the holidays and one day a week during term time when my studies allow. It's a relatively well paid job and I love it so I can't complain! Even if I didn't need the money - I'd still work. It's my bit of sanity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africankween)
    30-40 hours? Jesus Christ. What is he doing at Uni then? That's just a bit much.

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

I am addicted to shopping, especially shoes. Each pair is like £120 on average, so I can't keep going to my parents for money which I don't really need, so I gotta find me a lil hussle.

he works at mcdonalds, he has to pay international fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africankween)

I don't need a job.
    But I want one.

Women LOOOOVE shoes.They really need shoes.They need their shoes to walk to malls and shop for more shoes

ReputationRep:
    I get quite a bit of student loan and it helps to cover most things although I still have to supplement it with my own money. But I don't have a part-time job, really. Well, I do, but it's freelance writing, so I can do it any hour of the day whenever I fancy rather than having to go out and work at a restaurant or something.

But I think even if I could survive on the loan I'd want to work. I like using the loan money for uni stuff and my own money to supplement that plus buy myself stuff

Also I'd get bored only doing uni work!

ReputationRep:
    I dont need a job tbf. But ill like one, either paid or voluntary to gain experience

ReputationRep:
    TBH I havent needed to work since 2008 but I decided to start working again this year.

Not working is not generally a great idea as laziness sets in and having some sort of a structure to your daily activities can be very fulfilling.

I just dont mean getting paid work, I also mean volunteer and work experience type duties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    hi I am wondering how many people need to get jobs to be able to support themselves at uni, I am in a position where I do not need to get a job and wondered if others were as fortunate, one guy on my course had to work over 30-40 hours a week to pay his rent and all other stuff, I hardly ever saw him in lectures.
    well because my parents dont earn a lot i will get the maximum loans/grants and this will leave me with £90 a week , so i dont need a job but i will probably look for one anyway .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    Easier said than done sometimes! Ha ha. I work whilst at Uni - my parents aren't able to offer any financial support but they earn over the threshold for maintainance grants so I work to gain a bit of extra money.

I'm lucky with my job though as it's very flexible and as I'm on a casual contract I can pretty much work whenever I want - full time in the holidays and one day a week during term time when my studies allow. It's a relatively well paid job and I love it so I can't complain! Even if I didn't need the money - I'd still work. It's my bit of sanity!
    May I ask what it is? Incidentally, I am too a Warwick student. I didn't work in my first two years, but now have applied for 13 term jobs already.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rowzee)
    May I ask what it is? Incidentally, I am too a Warwick student. I didn't work in my first two years, but now have applied for 13 term jobs already.
    I work in Accountancy but in Bromsgrove (about half an hour up the motorway!). I worked there for a year before I came to Warwick so it wasn't a job I got at Uni. Are you looking for an SU job or anything? Are you based in Leam or Cov? Loads of my friends have just got themselves jobs in Leamington - mainly in supermarkets or restaurants really.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, I don't need a job while I'm at uni, my loan and savings would easily hold me over.

However, I think that unless you're studying something intensive and vocational, like medicine, it's pretty stupid to not work at uni. A big lame three year gap on your cv looks lazy, and part time work will give you the transferable skills, savings and social confidence to succeed in the graduate market. I think it looks highly sinister for a young adult to be unemployed for the entire time they're at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hardship fund? If you can prove that you're not wasting your money on non-essentials and you genuinely don't have enough money to pay the rent your uni should be able to help you out.

I worked in the summers but my workload was quite heavy and during term time I wouldn't have been able to juggle my course and a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Technically, I don't need a job while I'm at uni, my loan and savings would easily hold me over.

However, I think that unless you're studying something intensive and vocational, like medicine, it's pretty stupid to not work at uni. A big lame three year gap on your cv looks lazy, and part time work will give you the transferable skills, savings and social confidence to succeed in the graduate market. I think it looks highly sinister for a young adult to be unemployed for the entire time they're at uni.
    Same here. And I agree - even if it's just working for the uni or something. If I can't find a job for whatever reason, I'm going to have a lot of hours to fill! Plus, having a job will just give me peace of mind for when my degree's over and I know that at least I have something saved up, given how much debt I'm going to be in by the end...

ReputationRep:
    I hate work x

ReputationRep:
    My dad pays for my accommodation and tbh I'm pretty good with money so I don't need a job... plus I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to interviews and stuff, so :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really lucky,
    i live at home and travel to uni (rent free as long as i'm in educaiton and don't bother my parents for money) I think it's a more than fair deal, my student finance covers travel and everything and lasts all year, so i don't technically need a job. I volunteer at oxfam which i'm hoping will be good enough for my cv as part time work? I'm more worried about my lack of experience rather than money. But yeah i feel sorry for those having to work long hours whilst struggling i'd find it really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    I work in Accountancy but in Bromsgrove (about half an hour up the motorway!). I worked there for a year before I came to Warwick so it wasn't a job I got at Uni. Are you looking for an SU job or anything? Are you based in Leam or Cov? Loads of my friends have just got themselves jobs in Leamington - mainly in supermarkets or restaurants really.
    Ok, I see. I've been exploiting the Unitemps and SU job offers so far, not too keen on working somewhere not connected with the university as I will be away during the holidays and need the flexibility. I'm not in a dire need of a job but would gladly take one up.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.