Turn on thread page Beta

are you lucky enough to not need a job? watch

ReputationRep:
    I had to work during my undergrad degree and masters. It was a pain sometimes but generally I felt it did me good as it forced me to take a break from uni work and strangely made me feel less stressed than if I just did uni stuff all the time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rowzee)
    Ok, I see. I've been exploiting the Unitemps and SU job offers so far, not too keen on working somewhere not connected with the university as I will be away during the holidays and need the flexibility. I'm not in a dire need of a job but would gladly take one up.
    Yeah I had concerns about that when I first thought about going to Uni and getting a job - but if you can get a job with a nationwide company like Pizza Hut or Starbucks - they let you transfer to a store at home during the holidays!

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure my parents have enough money to pay for everything for me, but they don't and they won't when i go to uni. they are still generous though

ReputationRep:
    *awaits Tehfel's post*

ReputationRep:
    I didn't need one particularly but I got a job as a research assistant as it was relevant to what I wanted to do in the future. Also a bit more beer money for a few hours work a week isn't a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    Yeah I had concerns about that when I first thought about going to Uni and getting a job - but if you can get a job with a nationwide company like Pizza Hut or Starbucks - they let you transfer to a store at home during the holidays!
    I know, the thing is, by ''away'' I mean ''out of the country'' since I'm not a local :rolleyes:. I'm guessing there are quite a few opportunities where I'm at (Canley), the too big ones being Canon Park and the area around Sainsbury's, but who would want someone who disappears for a month twice a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    he works at mcdonalds, he has to pay international fees
    Goddamn Fam.

I feel bad for him. But he needs to remember why he's here. To get his Degree. If he fails, everything would have been a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Women LOOOOVE shoes.They really need shoes.They need their shoes to walk to malls and shop for more shoes
    Haha.

I do love my shoes. I would rather buy shoes than eat. Lol!

ReputationRep:
    I dont work during term time - but i do tend to work during summer/christmas to earn extra moneyss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africankween)
    Goddamn Fam.

I feel bad for him. But he needs to remember why he's here. To get his Degree. If he fails, everything would have been a waste.

I don't think he is doing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    *awaits Tehfel's post*
    Here it is: [And you spelt my name wrong].

I don't need a job at uni and don't intend to get one. I really don't think working 10 hours at McDonald's each week or stocking shelves at Boots really adds much to your CV. I'll be volunteering and doing relevant work experience in the holidays instead.

Uni isn't about having a job, it's about academia and studying - which is why unis don't really like you having them. Only 42% of students actually get jobs, anyway. If you're having to do 30/40 hours a week, which is more than you are spending actually in uni then you should be rethinking your decision IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at Lush over Christmas last year, and made myself around £500 in a little over six weeks. I still did all my work on time, got 2:1s, and it didn't get in the way of my studies (I stayed for a bit into the Xmas holidays, too).

I need a job, because of the state of my overdraft from the last year, and I have things to save up for, too. I can't justify getting myself into debt because of my shopping habit, so I'm going to have to work for my cash instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)

I don't need a job at uni and don't intend to get one. I really don't think working 10 hours at McDonald's each week or stocking shelves at Boots really adds much to your CV. I'll be volunteering and doing relevant work experience in the holidays instead.

Uni isn't about having a job, it's about academia and studying - which is why unis don't really like you having them. Only 42% of students actually get jobs, anyway. If you're having to do 30/40 hours a week, which is more than you are spending actually in uni then you should be rethinking your decision IMO.
    But you can get a job that is highly relevant to what you want to do and it needn't interfere with your studying etc. Freelance writing is brilliant for me because I don't have to slog it into a shop every day to stack shelves and then try to think of skills it has given me in the end for my CV. The writing has sharpened my skills, helped me with time management, and is directly related to what I want to do (journalism). Plus I can fit it in really well around uni work and ditch the thing altogether when there's a busy/stressful time such as around exams.

I agree with what you're saying in general, but there are ways of working at uni that are beneficial in the long run. Not all jobs are as you describe, and many people find the right balance. Plus, if you just can't afford to not have a job then what can you really do?

30/40 hours a week is ridiculous. How does he get any work done?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to having a break after 2 years of working full time! Ongoing illness means that I can't cope with a job and uni at the moment, and to be honest I don't think I'd be interested in working at uni anyway. I want to be focused on my uni work and am lucky to be in a position where I don't need to work to live (assuming student finance sort themselves out!)

ReputationRep:
    i don't really need a job because of my loan and bursary but I have a wee weekend job that gets me about £170 per month plus bonuses so its alright.
    i have it cause it makes me feel like i'm doing something apart from scrounging off the government haha.
    doesn't interfere much with uni either.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Yay, they're pronounced the same though, yes?

ReputationRep:
    I don't need a job because my dad pays for everything, so I have about 200pounds a week. But I still want to get one maybe during term 2/3 to have some experience for later on

ReputationRep:
    I don't need one because student finance more than covers my outgoings ... so I don't have one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't need to, but I want to. I'm studying business so all work's great for my future, also I LOVE money and I love being employed. I already have 3 interviews arranged for next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    hi I am wondering how many people need to get jobs to be able to support themselves at uni, I am in a position where I do not need to get a job and wondered if others were as fortunate, one guy on my course had to work over 30-40 hours a week to pay his rent and all other stuff, I hardly ever saw him in lectures.
    I have to work. Me no lucky.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.